Looking at a dozen Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a dozen Studebakers

Got calls from a couple club members giving me the number to call about 12-13 Studes, pics later
    Mono mind in a stereo world

I am not too far away - Sioux Falls SD. If you run across any pickups you are not claiming please let me know. I am searching for the right project.

Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

Pics are up
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

It was a jungle to get to the cars.I bought the Red Hawk only because it is a 4-speed and the Doodlebug '29 Chevy just because.
      I may get the 2R pickup as it has many good parts but no spindles or rear axles.I am afraid many of the cars will break in half when moved.
      All this is a 3 hour(one way)drive and the cars are at the bottom of some hills with a narrow walk path to get near them.Owner has no tractor to drag them. Just to get the 2 I bought will entail at least another 12 hours of drive time and fuel plus hours to get them moved. I must be nuts.
      Last edited by bob40; 07-28-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

As cool as this is and excited as I would be to find things like this it is still a shame to see all these cars just rotting away. Good find though , and glad you were able to find a few that you like and plan to give them a new! home..

Comment

Lemme guess, the owner said he was gonna restore them "someday"!
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Lemme guess, the owner said he was gonna restore them "someday"!
            Owner has/had no illusions to that end.He drove them until they were ratty then bought another one keeping the cars in case he needed parts.

Comment

Huh seats in that red hawk look pretty decent yet. Are you parting out the red hawk, or trying to sell it as a whole? If you parting it how much would you want for that trans in the red hawk?

Comment

This place puts a new spin on "Bring a Trailer." Perhaps "Bring a Chainsaw" is more applicable.

So, I search here in So. Cal. for a year and a half to find a windshield for my '64 Daytona. Eventually I had to go 375 miles (one way) to get one. And what did I see here..., 3-4 of them just sitting there..., 2,000 plus miles away.

Tom
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Hey Bob, be sure to check yourself for wood ticks and deer ticks tonight.
                  Thanks for the heads-up on these. If interested, send me the fellas name and number and I will send it to the local Studebaker club chapter president so that he can include it in the upcoming chapter newsletter.
                  Or, I can put you in touch with a scrapper that lives near me. He might possibly be interested in pulling the cars out for scrap thus making it easier for you to retrieve your vehicles after the trees are knocked away. Perhaps a deal could be made with this scrapper to retain some of the good parts prior to him hauling the cars away for scrap. Just a half-baked idea, consider at your own risk.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

OH ouch, that is just too painful to look at. A '56 President Classic, a '64 Cruiser, so many good models, even '47-'52 2 Door Sedans all Toast.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      Hey Bob, be sure to check yourself for wood ticks and deer ticks tonight.
                      Thanks for the heads-up on these. If interested, send me the fellas name and number and I will send it to the local Studebaker club chapter president so that he can include it in the upcoming chapter newsletter.
                      Or, I can put you in touch with a scrapper that lives near me. He might possibly be interested in pulling the cars out for scrap thus making it easier for you to retrieve your vehicles after the trees are knocked away. Perhaps a deal could be made with this scrapper to retain some of the good parts prior to him hauling the cars away for scrap. Just a half-baked idea, consider at your own risk.
                      Just thinking about how many ticks are in there gives me the creeps.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

When I was a kid, I played in the woods so much, I think my dogs caught ticks from rubbing up against me!

I don't know 'bout that part of the country, the spotted fever risk is bad, but...as far as the misery index...Chiggers are just as terrifying.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Studebaker Safari jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Man, that Conestoga wagon...sigh.

That load requires a tractor trailer sized trailer.

Comment

Bringing this one back up.Due to a phone malfunction by my contact I never got the Hawk and pretty much bailed on saving anything.
                              Gave the number to other members who either never followed up on it or couldnt get a hold of the contact.
                              2 days ago I gave the number to another person who did make contact and at this moment should be looking at the R series 1/2t pickup.
                              I also got a new contact number that should be more reliable.
                              Here is the deal...I am tentatively planning to go up to Cloquet where the cars are next weekend to get the Hawk.
                              Anyone wishing to head up that way is welcome to follow along.Parts can be bought off the cars or buy a whole one.
                              If you wish to make a solo run I will provide the contact number.
                              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                              X