No announcement yet.

Authentic 1963 R2/4-speed Hawk: $6,000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic 1963 R2/4-speed Hawk: $6,000?

It might happen....and it's running and driving, too!

The Studebaker National Museum has lifted the reserve on the 1963 factory R2/4-speed 1963 Gran Turismo Hawk they've been auctioning.

This time it is NO RESERVE and WILL BE SOLD providing they get at least the opening bid; $6,000. (OK, $5,999 for the detail-oriented):

Man, it's gotta be worth that, even with the "issues," which Andy clearly deliniates. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Looks like a nice car......
    Hopefully it will do very well at auction.
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, this would be a good car for multi-make shows. Only Studebaker enthusiasts are going to pick up on the unauthentic items (tail lamp housings, vinyl top treatment, etc.) because they look perfectly good on the car.

Unusual in that it has the 1963 "Lark" wheel covers, as depicted on the 1963 brochure Hawk but not used in production. I would think a set of the "correct" 1963 wheel covers, without the white trim, would do wonders for the car's overall appearance. The silver and black in production 1963 Hawk wheel covers would go much better with the car's current colors and vinyl top, IMHO. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Interesting terms: "Terms: Will sell to US only."

Limits their buyers pool, especially with our 'down under' friends buying a lot of R-series cars these days.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

$6000.00?...... You're dreaming Bob! I would think that if an R2 carb in need of an an overhaul can fetch $1250.00, A running 1963 GT Hawk with the supercharged Avanti engine and four speed, and that same type R2 carb on it (this time in working condition) will hopefully sell for a bit more than 6K!!!

Comment

It has been on ebay a couple times already. Highest bid last week was $9100 but didn't meet the reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Interesting terms: "Terms: Will sell to US only."

Limits their buyers pool, especially with our 'down under' friends buying a lot of R-series cars these days.
              True, but it also prevents "Prince" AkuScammar from Nigeria buying it with a stolen credit card, or any number of other scams that can't well be prosecuted when they take place overseas. Sad, but it's the world we live in.

Besides, there aren't a lot of these cars. The more that stay in the US, the better my odds of eventually owning one are
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

If I ever wanted to apply for a loan to buy a car, it was now. If it went for under 7k, man would it be awesome. And the drive home......hehe

Comment

Does anyone know why this car has been listed, taken down and then relisted so many times? I count 6 times so far.

Comment

Michael, The SNM has tried to sell it previously with a reserve, to no avail.

They've taken the reserve lower each time it has run through e-bay, but it still hasn't met, as Andy said to me in a PM this AM, "our ever-dwindling reserve."

They are tired of fooling with it and and it needs to be gone, so they've listed it again with an opening bid of $5,999 and NO RESERVE. The car will be sold to the highest bidder and if that high bid is $5,999, the bidder will own the car at the end of the auction.

The Studebaker National Museum is straight-up, but they aren't professional car dealers and this is not their primary line of work. They can only spend so much time on a project like this and from Andy's PM, it sounds like the time has run out on this one and it needs to go away. BP

Comment

Looks pretty nice except for the vinyl top.

yech!
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Hmmm...under the cover, that R2/4-speed would look the same as my plain jane '62. I wonder if my wife remembers what color mine is...Or maybe we only take it out at night...
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                          Hmmm...under the cover, that R2/4-speed would look the same as my plain jane '62. I wonder if my wife remembers what color mine is...Or maybe we only take it out at night...
                          Just tell her you had it repainted........badly.

Comment

Might just be a bad picture of the Block Number, But it looks like jts 1241 and not jts 1246 like the build sheet says.. Am I seeing this wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                              Might just be a bad picture of the Block Number, But it looks like jts 1241 and not jts 1246 like the build sheet says.. Am I seeing this wrong?
                              It's a straight-back 6, looks like a lower case 'b'.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X