Willing to trade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willing to trade...

I am growing more and more desperate as the wife continues to soak up my Studebaker fund... and turn it into the "house" fund!

I really need to bring up my car from Georgia (Sam Ensley's)... I am willing to give someone the 49 Stude if they can trailer the 40 at Sam's to Cambridge Springs PA. I can provide pics, etc... I will supply any info they want, etc...

My only other option is to try Craig's list (which I will soon) to try and get money to pay a hauler. I wasn't planning on a new baby, but life happens...

Please contact me if this offer interests you! I need a car trailerd up from northern Georgia to Western PA... the payment would be the 49 Stude Commander sedan. If you have the time to take it apart, it's value more than exceeds the cost of the haul, both ways. I just don't have the time to part it out!

Dan

Pics would help. Of the 49 that is.
    sals54

Comment

Go get it Sal, it will only take you a few hours both ways, by few I mean at least 72 each way driving hard.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Just let me know if you want any pics and I can provide many. Drop me a line/email here and I can supply them.

Comment

I just realized, it's been over a year now, right?

No offense, but maybe it's time to sell them on eBay if you can't afford the shipping. You're probably talking $6-700. If you can't come up with that, you aren't in any position to fix or maintain an old car, right?

It's a disappointment for sure, but if funds are that close, your life doesn't have any room for an expensive playtoy. BTDT.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, no, actually... I have 4 cars... 3 1940's and the 49.

1 of the 40's is road ready after one year... ready for paint and interrior.. these things cost money (you all know that) and I have spent monry. I have ample storage for the cars now. The one I am working on now needed a LOT of work. It was drivable when I got it, but was all "modernized"... I rebuilt the engine, replaced the newer carb and rebuilt a 1940 one, etc... it had a newer fuel pump too, I restored the old one and the glass bowl filter system. It needed 2 windows, all seals and window channels... The vent window seals were quite expensive and rare...

Bob, I would say I got rather far in one year compared to some of the stories I have read on the forums and at a great cost. I have been very busy... the key is... I do not want the 49 commander.. it was saved for the Dana high speed rear end... my 40's all have overdrive. I need the 40 stored at Sam's. I would get it myself, but minni van doesn't work well with a trailer. And getting away with my job doesn't work well either.

I also don't want the 49 to go to the scrap heap either... I thought I would offer it up here instead of doing just that. It appears that I was wrong in thinking that the Stude forums was a place to say "free car" with tansport of another. I will probably have better luck on Craig's list.

I will have to get it packed off and bite the bullet and spend the cash for the other transport I guess. I have never done that before, but will have to figure it out. I was just trying to be frugal, not cheap. And I thought someone here might actually jump at the chance for the 49 and it could save me some money. No big, I was wrong...

And Bob, you are correct about funds being close, but they are not that close! Not yet... it was just the expense of the baby all at once unexpected. I have sunk a lot of money into one of the 40's... the goal is to combine the other 40's and still have parts to spare.. have 2 40's in working order.

I must say... cars might be expensive, BUT... that doesn NOT mean it is an "exclusive" club for people with bags of extra money.
            Last edited by new2drive; 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM. Reason: I still type really bad

Comment

It's not hard to get a car shipped. Just give Peg Trucking a call. She can take care of the whole thing for you. I've been using her for years now, and several hauls. Her prices are always fair, and her drivers know how to properly tie down a Studebaker. In fact, they will be picking up my zip van to deliver to me sometime today.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob,

Thanks... and I say thanks for the company name!!! because after I posted on the forums, I went right to the internet looking for a carrier.... I was quoted anywhere from $400 to $700 for open bed.... the problem is this... I am VERY intimidated by this as I was told there are soooo many scams out there! So your info is very much appreciated!!!

I don't know what I need... bonded? insured (yes, of course).... but within minutes of entering info in on a mover site I had no less than 15 calls and the same for emails!!!

Can I ask this....

Is it cheaper to get it yourself... if I can arrange a truck and car hauler.... it is a ~650 mile one way trip... so there would be an over night or 2 drivers... and, with the price of fuel.... what would be best? Pay a hauler one way or pay for gas and a hotel? My thought it it might be a wash because I am going two ways vs the one... I located a car carrier over lunch I can use, now I need to make sure I have the right type of vehicle to haul it...

Also.. that still leaves me with a Stude I want to go to a good home!

Comment

Just went to their website and filled in the info... waiting for a quote!

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I recommend you give her a call. She is the one who will answer the phone. Just tell her I sent you.
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks much.... I guess it is still a scary venture. I will have to call her form home or tomorrow. I filled out the info on her site though.
                          And, with everything you have said... that is kind of why the car has sat so long... I am afraid to have someone I don't know do it and I cannot get away long enough to do it myself.

I am actually working on a local trucker who is a good friend of my father-in-law... he goes south a LOT with full loads, but comes back a lot too with an empty trailer! he lives very near me so when he comes home... he is usually empty and this is a chance for him to make some extra money for a local delivery.

And thanks again Bob for taking the time to settle my nerves! I am really just terrified about NOT doing it myself.

Comment

Good luck with getting your car transported. As far as your attempt to find someone on the forum to do the job, I think it was a good idea, and a kind gesture if it could have worked out for someone.

However, unless I'm mistaken...this forum rarely has more than 100 registered logged in participants at any given time. Add to that, about 200 or so not logged in guests, and that's about it. Out of that number, having someone wanting a unrestored 49 Studebaker, living in reasonable transport distance, with a truck and trailer available...well...about as likely as winning the lottery on a single ticket...ever!

However, it was a very generous offer and I hope others continue to attempt similar efforts. It is what makes this Studebaker experience so special.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Please post pics of the 48. Ive done crazier stuff before. Thanks, Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X