Another Roasty-toasty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Roasty-toasty.

A buddy and I answered a Craigslist ad: "1950 starlight coupe I've owned since 1960 for sale - $2,000". It neglected to say it had been sitting since 1960 in a field. He didn't want to part it out but did agree the price listed by his daughter was steep.
    Attached Files
    1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

didn't want to part it out?...looks like it already has been.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
      didn't want to part it out?...looks like it already has been.
      That's what I thought as well - but it was 100 in the shade and it wasn't exactly the barn find we had visions of, so we didn't push the point!

Comment

Can't imagine where all those critters would live if the Studebaker Hotel were sold.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

"Either you're coming with the house, or you're gonna get left behind to start anew!"
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

another "sad" story of someone that was going to get "a-round-tuit" and/or the daughter has watched too many so called "reality" TV shows bringing a vehicle back from the grave for profit!!!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

It "WAS" only a Champion anyway, but it's just silly to expect real money for something like that.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe she has a tic and didn't mean to type that last zero...
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                  Maybe she has a tic and didn't mean to type that last zero...
                  Well c'mon, the bullet looks to be in good shape, and sure, there's a million years of surface rust, but it doesn't look like the sheet metal is too rotted out. There may in fact be $500-1000 worth of good parts hiding under all that debris. Truthfully, it doesn't even appear that the car has sunk to where the frame is sitting in the dirt, so who knows. To the right (painfully desperate) person, it might be worth restoring. But considering the work needed, I agree with the consensus, the price is at least double what would be reasonable, at least for now. (A hundred years from now, if someone finds these photos they'll wonder why we didn't jump on such a remarkably cheap source of parts.)
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Again...another example where an offer of five to ten cents (per 100 pounds) above current scrap prices along with "free" removal from the property. Fair for anyone willing to risk getting spider or snake bit along with relocating the assortment of cockroaches and other insects lurking there.
                    Last edited by jclary; 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM. Reason: left out a couple of intended (important) words
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Squirt some WD 40 in the cylinder and see if she'll run. They're easy to to get to.....

Comment

A few years back I had the opportunity to buy two champs that were in much better shape than this one, for $500 for the pair. One even ran and drove and both were titled. If I only had somewhere to store them back then.... oh well

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                          Well c'mon, the bullet looks to be in good shape, and sure, there's a million years of surface rust, but it doesn't look like the sheet metal is too rotted out. There may in fact be $500-1000 worth of good parts hiding under all that debris. Truthfully, it doesn't even appear that the car has sunk to where the frame is sitting in the dirt, so who knows. To the right (painfully desperate) person, it might be worth restoring. But considering the work needed, I agree with the consensus, the price is at least double what would be reasonable, at least for now. (A hundred years from now, if someone finds these photos they'll wonder why we didn't jump on such a remarkably cheap source of parts.)
                          I had visions of salvaging the front clip....but then had visions of dragging it out of the south forty and decided against it.

Comment

Kind of odd....the complete dashboard missing!

Comment

Working...
                            X