C/K body guys...question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: C/K body guys...question

I obviously not sure how any of you drive your cars, but with the ancient rear spring design, (equal spring on both sides of the axle), what's the method you use to slow/stop spring wrapup (wheel hop)....or do you not push them that hard ?

I know of a few ideas (restack leaves, traction bars of various designs, spring clamps, different suspensions..), just looking to see what others are doing, if anything.

Thanks.

Mike

On my '41 Champion with a warmed over R-2 I use a set of slapper traction bars Mike. Not the ultimate solution, but cheap and very effective nonetheless. No hint of wheel hop ever, even with drag radials. I use aftermarket Chassis Engineering leaf springs however.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Fiberglass rear leaves. I've got one more set I bought back when from Vette Brakes and Products. Not cheap, but the best way to go, IMHO.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I have not purposely broke a tire loose on pavement in decades. I usually am going much further than 1/4 mile when I get behind the wheel, and try leave early enough to arrive on time without abusing the car to do so.

Comment

Late C/k leaf springs were not 'equal lengths' and this 'fixed' the problem somewhat. They also used a different driveshaft.... ( longer) and had a different diff. 'snubber'

You can always 'tilt' the diff downward, so when it does come up, it is more level. Adding a leaf also works wonders, as do traction bars.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            I have not purposely broke a tire loose on pavement in decades. I usually am going much further than 1/4 mile when I get behind the wheel, and try leave early enough to arrive on time without abusing the car to do so.
            My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Here's what I do:

Comment

Sorry Joe and SN-60...

Eggs under my right foot has never happened to me. I'm almost 63 and I still like to have fun driving my cars. Hell, I have a 400lb. motorcycle that has 178hp to the rear tire and a 13,200rpm redline..! AND...It's my driver to work and back in Los Angeles freeway traffic. In case the 178hp doesn't mean much....it's more than "many" cars have to the rear wheel(s) today !

Frank -
                Yea, thought about the slapper bars, and the other various forms of bars. Just not sure I want something hanging down that far.

I'd normally restack the leaf's and add one or two front half leafs and make a set of clamps to stiffen the front half, but the way the rear anti-swaybar attaches, it makes that almost impossible.

Jack -
                PM comming...

Flashback -
                I'll have to wait till I get home to see your pictures.

Thanks for the answers so far....

Mike

Comment

Mike

I doubt if you'll ever catch me on a 178 HP bike but at 70 YO there's still nothing that beats the kick in the tail than side slipping the clutch on a big HP engine still gives.

I hope I never get to old to lose the rush of being launched hard by two sticky tires on a posi axle.

Something tells me you'll end up with a Caltrac type setup but in any case, I'll be interested in what you chose and your reasoning.

Bob

Comment

Just a note - my current bike is just one in a long series of high horsepower bikes, dating back to 1986 (and well over 600,000 miles)...it's nothing new..!

Flash, Bob...you guys know the rush. I hope we never submit ourselves to the rocking chair crowd.

Flashback -
                    Don't solid bars like that return a harsh ride ?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      Sorry Joe and SN-60...

Eggs under my right foot has never happened to me. I'm almost 63 and I still like to have fun driving my cars. Hell, I have a 400lb. motorcycle that has 178hp to the rear tire and a 13,200rpm redline..! AND...It's my driver to work and back in Los Angeles freeway traffic. In case the 178hp doesn't mean much....it's more than "many" cars have to the rear wheel(s) today !

Frank -
                      Yea, thought about the slapper bars, and the other various forms of bars. Just not sure I want something hanging down that far.

I'd normally restack the leaf's and add one or two front half leafs and make a set of clamps to stiffen the front half, but the way the rear anti-swaybar attaches, it makes that almost impossible.

Jack -
                      PM comming...

Flashback -
                      I'll have to wait till I get home to see your pictures.

Thanks for the answers so far....

Mike
                      Mike,
                      At that HP, I am guessing Hayabusa?
                      I was mainly a Harley guy. Since 1975 have owned: 1961, 1967, 1970 & 1972 Harley 1200s, and a 1986 FXRD I still have. Gonna sell it though, since I just don't ride anymore. As far as speed, I once owned a 1988 BMW K100LT that was rock steady at 130+ MPH. (Per the German saying, "Its not how fast you go, but how well you go fast".) But that was when I was a lot younger & dumber.

Comment

Joe -

2012 BMW S1000RR.
                        The Suzuki is too big heavy and doesn't turn well, same as the big high horse Kawasaki. Both companies (as does Yamaha) have "fairly" high horse sport bikes, but so far, none match the BMW RR off the showroom floor. And from what I understand, 200 rear wheel power isn't too dificult to obtain.

I also have a coupla Buells for American bikes. The little XB12S is Harley powered. Not really fast...but it turns on a dime and'll give back 9cents change, good milage (49/50 mpg).
                        My big 1125CR... Fairly fast for a twin, LOUD, a bit strange looking for many. Has a bad exhaust cam. Have all the parts to fix it, just no time with working on the Studes.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X