Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did studebaker C cab big 6 put in a T98 Trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: did studebaker C cab big 6 put in a T98 Trans?

Did Studebaker put a T98 trans behind the big 6 in a C-cab truck? I have a C-cab 1953 Big 6 2R16A with a T9-1J Trans and i want to put in a T98 (synchronous)trans. The T98 trans is 2.75 inches longer than the T9 and will not fit without changing the floor cover and floor in the cab.

Do whatever is necessary to get the T98 in there. It's like driving a different truck.

However, it's the first step down that slippery slope. Then, you'll drive one with PS and want that and then radial tires and front disc brakes.

Bottom line - it's impossible to make a modern truck out of an old one, but I've had fun trying.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

The T98 became available as an option midway through the 2R series, but didn't become standard equipment until much later. Unfortunately, I think you will need a different bell housing, too.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have a 1951 C Cab. Jack has helped me with many answers I have a the 2r10. But i can tell you the bell housing is available because i have a non original 245 bix six with a t98 bolted to the back. Now im not using the engine i got a v8 for it, with a bell housing im hoping that if i can find a shaft shop they can get my t98 on the back of it. As well as find a OD set up for it. I have yet to mock up the Stude v8 so dont know if any modification needs done to the floor.

Comment

Probably would cost less to swap a V8 input shaft into your T98 than have one modified. If they have to be shortened, it has to be done by grinding. The shaft is too hard to turn. Sell your big six T98 to studecrg87.

FWIW, I'd looked into putting either a B-W R11 or a B&J overdrive on the back of a T98. Looks like either would work with some serious machining. The bottom line came down on the side of just adapting a later truck 5-speed.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

So you are saying you are going to use a T-98 4 Speed behind a V8 and add a Brownie or Gear Vendors Overdrive behind it?
            GV's are serious BUCKS but worth it.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              So you are saying you are going to use a T-98 4 Speed behind a V8 and add a Brownie or Gear Vendors Overdrive behind it?GV's are serious BUCKS but worth it.
              Yes, a Gear Vendors setup would be more than $3,000. Whether that's serious bucks/whether it's worth it is an individual equation.

No, a Browning is a BIG truck auxiliary transmission. They're heavy, noisy, slow shifting and nothing I'd want in an R16.

Maybe, as I said, the Borg-Warner R11 from behind a T89 could be made to work.

Also a maybe, I picked up a B&J Overdrive at the local swap meet. It's also a possibility behind a T98.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. I am going to put the T98 behind the Big 6. I have another truck (2r10) 1949 with a 1954 V8 and T98 Which fits because the V8 is about (3 inches shorter that the Big 6). I was not sure if Stude every put the T98 behind the big6 in a C-cab?

Comment

Originally posted by studecrg67 View Post
                  Thanks for all the good info. I am going to put the T98 behind the Big 6. I have another truck (2r10) 1949 with a 1954 V8 and T98 Which fits because the V8 is about (3 inches shorter that the Big 6). I was not sure if Stude every put the T98 behind the big6 in a C-cab?
                  Yes. See post #3 above. The T98 was available with all engines in C cab trucks.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by studecrg67 View Post
                    Yes there was a t98 that was put behind a big six. I have one sitting in the shop next to my new v8. It was behind my big six. Now here is what i THINK i have learned.

The t98 that was on the Commander engine ( big6 ) will work behind the stude v8's

The t98 has a granny low. If your going to use it as a truck still thats great and jack has said they are a dream to shift.

I was going to put it behind my v8 and decided GV was way to much money so im going with a t86e w od behind my v8. just picked it up today as a matter a fact. Was looking for a t85 od but not easy to find.

My t86 was in a truck but is a car tranny,... therefor im going to swap its Bell housing out with the truck bell housing i HOPE. Have been told it will fit. this will allow me to put the two back mounts on the tranny instead of the single center mount.

Ted has helped me a lot with this and working it all out. Has not taken long to find all the parts. just had to piece them together from different areas. While the car t86 does not have the torque that the truck has im not worried overly, because i dont expect to make the old girl do all that much work. Just get closer to highway speeds and enjoy driving her.

Studecrg67 Send me a email if you are any where near the nw maybe we can work out a deal on the t98. As amd almost 95% sure i wont be using it.

Comment

Working...
                    X