door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door panels

Any suggestions as to what to use for backing board to replace the cardboard type material used on door panels, kick panels, etc. on my 55 President? Vinyl material is not in bad condition, but the backing board is warped and tattered on the lower areas from water damage over the years.Thanks

I have had the best luck with Loga Enterprises - what I received was cut with all the holes and everything lined up.

Comment

Comment

On my '54 sedan, I used ABS plastic. Look in the phone book for plastic suppliers.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I use 1/8" plywood paneling. It's available at any builders supply, easy to work with,and plentiful.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

I've used masonite. You can usually find it at most builders supply stores in different thicknesses.

Nick

Comment

Masonite and plywood will work nicely as long as you keep it indoors and do no driving in inclement weather.
              Ernie Loga sells the panels of original material pre-cut and ready to upholster and install.
              If you want to procure your own backing board in bulk and cut it to the purpose, call someone like Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Masonite and plywood will work nicely as long as you keep it indoors and do no driving in inclement weather.Ernie Loga sells the panels of original material pre-cut and ready to upholster and install. If you want to procure your own backing board in bulk and cut it to the purpose, call someone like Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA.
                Ernie is a great guy,and sell an excellant product. But it also must be kept dry. Pre-finished paneling holds up much better than raw plywood, but if you go that route,be sure to get REAL plywood. not particle board. I've never tried masonite but used wood paneling on both my Hawks and the rear shelf in my Lark. I am happy with it.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

1/8" Masonite is inexpensive, easy to work with and readily available. Just remember to protect it on the inside door side with builder grade Visiqueen after you've sealed the inside of the door that you have already sealed and protected from further rust with Master Series. And, it will work with either metal plastic door clips.

Comment

The hardware stores sell a product for shower stalls and it is called fiberglass reinforced paneling, FRP. It is waterproof, easy to cut and will last forever in a moist environment.
                    StudeRick & Johna
                    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                    1957 Silver Hawk
                    1963 Avanti
                    1961 Lark Wagon
                    1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Working...
                    X