Richard James Orr past away today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard James Orr past away today

Richard "Dick" Orr of Omaha, Nebraska, my uncle, passed away this afternoon. Many folks in the Husker Chapter knew him well. Those that attended the 2006 International Meet in Omaha may well have participated in the contest he put one that involved the identification of various Studebakers shown on a screen for only a second or two. Uncle Dick was 88 years old and is survived by his wife, Martha Ann and his two daughters June Roberts and Wendy Smith. Dick was a life time member of the SDC. The Cruiser I drive today was purchased new by Uncle Dick.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Our condolences to you and family Joe. I will inform our Husker Chapter on your behalf.

Frank van Doorn
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Richard was a great guy. He was a charter member of the Husker Chapter and was very active until his health slowed him down. He will be missed.

Denny Lockmon

Comment

Dick's annual "Studebaker Quiz" was a treasured tradition in the Husker Chapter. Dick always promised his quiz would be "easy and entertaining" and it always was....entertaining at least...easy, not always so much! Dick and Martha Ann added so much to our group and he will certainly be missed by his many friends in the club and throughout the Omaha area. Besides being a very dedicated Studebaker driver, Dick was also a local authority on Omaha Streetcars and authored a much-praised book on the subject. Dick also shared many rare home movies he took of Omaha streetcars in the late 1940s and 1950s that offer a fascinating glimpse of Omaha life in the mid-20th century. As a railroad buff, Dick also had a hand in creating Omaha's Durham Museum, housed in the old Union Pacific Depot here in town. He was also nationally, and internationally known as a model railroad expert. Dick was a well-rounded man who took obvious delight in leading a well-rounded, interesting and lively life. He'll be missed on many fronts and I'm glad I knew him.

John Waddell
        Omaha, NE

Comment

MISTAKE! Date is wrong. Correct date now below

There will be a memorial service for Dick Orr on AUGUST 18TH at 3:30. It will be held at St. Paul United Methodist Church in Omaha.
          Last edited by JRoberts; 07-24-2013, 05:52 AM.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

'Sorry to hear this; he sounds like a neat guy! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Sorry to hear this; he sounds like a neat guy! BP
              Ditto to what Bob and the rest said.

Ted

Comment

Working...
              X