1961 pickup with twin traction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 pickup with twin traction

Planning on making one good truck out of my two parts trucks and noticed a sticker on the dash that says it has twin traction. It is a long bed with V8 and standard shift. Was twin traction common in pickups, I've never noticed a sticker on the dash of one before.

Studerich mentions the trucks in his post
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Mine is different it is a yellow sticker on the left side of the dash that says caution this vehicle equipped with twin traction differential and then goes on to say not to put a Jack under one wheel when balancing them.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
        Mine is different it is a yellow sticker on the left side of the dash that says caution this vehicle equipped with twin traction differential and then goes on to say not to put a Jack under one wheel when balancing them.
        One of the Champs Ihave owned had a sticker on it. I dont remember the colors but do remember it said the part about not jacking up one side. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Was it common to have twin traction on a pick up?

Comment

It IS the same one as yours as I said in Post #20 on that linked Post. They were bright Florescent Orange paper and fade to Yellow after 52 Years. They do say exactly that.
            The factory or even a dealer install could have slapped the sticker where they thought it would be seen, most were near the Ignition Switch.

Anyway it does not matter, most likely the Truck does have a TT, as many but not all were ordered with that Option.

Just turn a wheel (Engine OFF) while both wheels are off the ground by hand and watch for both to turn the SAME direction.

Or, put your pinky in the rear cover Oil Fill Hole, if you feel a TT Clutch drum right close to the cover it's a TT.
            It also should have a tin Tag under a bolt on the right side of the cover that is stamped 45C, or other letter codes indicating the ramp angle of the Dana limited slip unit.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-19-2013, 06:14 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tim, I think it was pretty common to have TT in these trucks "I think that was the mind set" every Champ my Dad or I had was TT,and a 57 transtar also.
              Was it common to have twin traction on a pick up?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Comment

Tim, how about showing us a photo of your project T-cab before it becomes a finished restoration. I am curious to see your Golden Hawk's garage mate.

Aside from Tim's original question, did other manufacturers offer limited-slip differentials in their pickups at this time?
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I am pretty sure Limited slips came along later in the '70's on the Big Three Trucks and I don't remember very many being ordered with it. It sure does seem like a "Natural" on a Truck, and much needed in mud and snow.

But of course rear drive Pickups only can get a "Bite" with a Load, they are the most squirrely vehicles around.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You should know my lack of a ability to post visuals after the body plant tour which was recorded thanks to you guys. I'll take pictures to show you at the next International here with the finished product and Lord willing the restored Studebaker Electric Fountain.

Comment

TT was actually introduced on Stude half-ton trucks in 1956, a year earlier than in cars.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                        X