(7/19/13) - Peterson Auto Museum Selling Off Part Of Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (7/19/13) - Peterson Auto Museum Selling Off Part Of Collection

(snippet copy - see link for complete article)

Several Los Angeles-based news outlets including DailyNews.com have reported that thePeterson Automotive Museum has begun selling off some of the vehicles in its collection. The museum plans to sell a third of its 400 classic cars to finance a makeover of the museum, DailyNews.com reports. The museum plans to shift the focus of the museum to put greater emphasis on French Art Deco vehicles, as well as motorcycles.

The museum began selling off vehicles in March. Some of the vehicles already sold include a 1995 Ferrari F50 that was sold for $1.4 million, a 2006 Bugatti Veyron that went for $924,000 and an 1990 Ferrari F40 that brought in $715,000.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I hope they don't forget my '41 Champion Coupe Delivery is just on loan!! I shipped it to them in May for a new special exhibit on the history of pickups to be featured in their main gallery. Below the press release and a photo of the car prior to its final placement in their display.

PETERSEN AUTOMOTIVE MUSEUM OPENS NEW EXHIBIT
    PICKUPS: THE ART OF UTILITY
    The newest display, which runs through Apr. 6, 2014,
    showcases the evolution of the pickup truck over the last century.

Los Angeles, Calif. (June, 2013)Pickups: The Art of Utility Pickups: The Art of Utility on Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. The exhibit, which features nineteen vehicles spanning nearly a century, will examine pickup history while Kendall speaks to the significance of each piece in the exhibit. Reservations should be made by calling (323) 964-6358 or email jsimpson@petersen.orgwww.petersen.org.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41 cpe del at peterson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1682915Click image for larger version

Name:	41 cpe del at peterson2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1682916
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Jeff, a guy in South Carolina very recently donated an R2 Hawk to the Studebaker National Museum. The museum emailed me to go inspect it. It was too far away for me, but Pat Skelly drove over to look at it for them. According to Pat, the car owner was even going to cover the shipping costs.

The donation happened, and the SMN has the car on Ebay currently.

So I guess that this sort of thing is pretty common.

Comment

Geez Richard!!! It seems like having one of your cars in that Museum would be something to brag about. I'm shocked that this is the first I'm hearing of it. I suppose I'll have to go down there and have a look- I'm not too far from there as I type. It looks like folks who visit for the 2014 LA Winter Meet will have another Stude to check out as well!!! (there's a '63 wagon already on semi-permanent display.)

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
          Geez Richard!!! It seems like having one of your cars in that Museum would be something to brag about. I'm shocked that this is the first I'm hearing of it. I suppose I'll have to go down there and have a look- I'm not too far from there as I type. It looks like folks who visit for the 2014 LA Winter Meet will have another Stude to check out as well!!! (there's a '63 wagon already on semi-permanent display.)

StudeDave '57

I guess I'm honored. Frees up a garage space and gets Studebaker a little exposure. A win/win I guess you could call it. Not sure if there will be additional accoutrements in the display but if you attend send me a photo. Thanks.

Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks for letting us know it is there. I will make a point of going to check it out. As I have never seen a car/truck like yours, only read about them and pictures. I will take pictures for you.

When does the exhibit start?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
              When does the exhibit start?
              Looks like it has already started...

"Pickups: The Art of Utility
              June 15, 2013 - April 6, 2014
              Days remaining~ 259"

http://www.petersen.org/exhibitions/pickups

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                The museum plans to shift the focus of the museum to put greater emphasis on French Art Deco vehicles, as well as motorcycles.
                That ought to draw in the visitors... . Is it April 1st? It sounds like all they'll have left is their celebrity and film cars, and the Art Deco stuff...not a very well-rounded collection. If true, it seems like they're getting away from the hot rods and celebration of the California car culture and whatever education functions the museum had. (I'm tempted to say the film cars for the "unwashed masses" and the art deco cars for the snobs...so it can amuse the Pebble Beach crowd and compete with the nearby high end collections like the Blackhawk, the Mullin Bugatti collection in Oxnard and the classics owned by Nethercutt).
                Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-20-2013, 04:45 AM.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've started a new thread...the museum is also selling off the early production Avanti owned by TV star Dick Van Dyke and Phyllis Diller's Excalibur Series one.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"...a guy in South Carolina very recently donated an R2 Hawk to the Studebaker National Museum." Hope it was my ol' SuperHawk that lives in SC now!

Comment

I marvel at Delahayes myself, but I can't imagine the Petersen being full of them. Sorry to hear this.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's something interesting~

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...motive-museum/

I hope they have their ducks in a row.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

To quote some famous person (I don't remember who) "what a tangled web we weave". Our chapter (Los Angeles) holds our annual Winter Meet at the Petersen every March. I am now concerned that the "change in direction" may mean we won't be welcome there with our "ordinary cars" (Studebakers)!
                          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                            I am now concerned that the "change in direction" may mean we won't be welcome there with our "ordinary cars" (Studebakers)!
                            Bring money and I'm sure they'll' accept you. Oh, and brush up on your polishing skills for the Delahayes.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The California Attorney General is investigating...

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X