Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton

Hi,

New guy here. Been poking around for an old pickup project and happened to talk to my dad who told me about a '49 Studebaker he used to have. Started investigating Studebaker's and really love the design of the pickups and cars. Their styling looks ahead of their time! For a little bit of history, I can remember at the ripe age of 12 trying to talk my dad into letting me buy a Studebaker pickup a farmer had for sale. Running truck for $125 if I remember. One more meaningless fact...about 5 years ago my dad was at an auction where his old Studebaker was on the block...he didn't wait around to try and buy it or see what it went for...still kicking himself for that one.

Anyway, as I'm searching around I see a number of 3/4 ton pickups and fewer 1/2 ton pickups. Too early to tell, but seems the 3/4 ton prices might be a bit lower.

So I'm wondering about some general comparisons between 1/2 ton and 3/4. Some of the basics I've learned are the difference in box size, wheelbase, and engine options. I assume transmission options were different as well.

I'm curious about some of the less obvious questions:
    1) Do some, all, or no parts interchange betwen 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton
    2) I assume the gearing on a 3/4 ton is lower...right or wrong?
    3) Are the springs heavier and stiffer on the 3/4 so as to make a noticeable difference in the ride?
    4) Given a choice, which is more desirable?

Other general thoughts and observations you can offer would be great.

Thanks,
    Mike

If your serious about buying I have a good friend who told me today he is going to sell his '49 2R10 pickup , he wants $4500 , its a good truck . A 2R10 is a 3/4 ton truck.
    Last edited by 2R5; 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

All the body parts interchange, though in some years, the half ton only came with a shorter bed and the 3/4 ton only came with a longer bed. The same engines were available in both: 169 ci Champion 6, 246 ci Commander 6, and (after 1954) an OHV V8 of various displacements. Yes, the springs are heavier on the 3/4 ton, but they both ride dreadfully by today's standards: solid axles and leaf springs all around. The ride on both can be improved by removing a couple of leaves or going to lighter duty springs. The half tons are more desirable just because they ride a little better and can go a little faster in today's traffic. Both were available with three speed transmissions with overdrive. That is a much more drivable combination than a straight 3-speed or the 4-speed. Avoid the non-synchro T9 4-speed unless you love double clutching.

More data here:

Model specs here:
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I have never heard of any year Studebaker 1/2 Truck being only available in short 6 1/2 ft. bed, they always had a 8 Ft. bed available.

The only thing I can think of that was not available on both 1/2 and 3/4 Ton would be the short bed on a 3/4 Ton, that just makes no sense at all, you would have the spring and axle capacity to haul quite heavy, large loads but nowhere to put it!

I remember some of the Los Angeles Water & Power Co. 3/4 Ton '62 Champ V8 Automatics that I helped deliver new from the Dealer in Inglewood, CA. They were Special ordered that way for a specific purpose, but they were not offered to the Public and you would find very few of those if any, today.

The 3/4 Ton and larger Trucks can always be distinguished by the Axle Hub sticking out of the rear wheel, that is because they have a Full Floating Rear Axle, a much stronger Axle that can take a lot more punishment.

There is a stronger, thicker, heavier Frame under a 3/4 Ton Truck, heavier Springs and stronger Wheels. A New Chev. or Ford is not a whole lot different in those respects.

The 1/2 and 3/4 Tons only came in two wheelbases, 112 inch short, and 122 Long, most other options, Engines and Transmissions were available on both, but you will find that most were ordered in a certain way that complements the use.
        In other words, most 3/4 Tons had the larger engine, most had the 4 Speed not the 3 Speed etc. etc.

So the bottom line is, if you want a real work truck, a tough, handy rig to haul stuff with that is not real heavy you use a long bed 1/2 ton, but for more weight you use a Long Bed 3/4 Ton.

If all you want to do is Cruise and look cool, a 1/2 Ton Short Bed will do and is preferred and usually goes for more money.

I happen to have my own personal opinion of what a Truck should be, I think a Truck should be a TRUCK! By that I mean, capable of handling just about anything weight or power wise.

My Truck is a '62 Transtar 7E13-131, 1 Ton Dually with a full flow HD 289 4V V8, 12 Inch extra special Factory order clutch with a 3100 Lb. Pressure plate, a New process 5 speed Overdrive and a Twin Traction Dana 70 HD rear axle that was special Factory ordered with 5.13 to 1 ratio, I am now running a 4.56 Ratio Ring and Pinion instead, because I don't plan on pulling too many houses off of their foundations any time soon!

Oh, by the way, it was ordered as a Cab & Chassis so it has a super Heavy Duty Truck Body builder 6 Ft. X 9 Ft. Pickup Box on it and came with an Aluminum Canopy Top.

Try ordering your New Chev. or Ford Pickup with a 6 Ft. wide Bed sometime!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1682905 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1682906
        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-18-2013, 05:20 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a '62 3/4 ton with a utility body, overload rear springs, skid plate and TT axle (it was originally a pest control truck used in a rural area). It rode like a buckboard. Good strong truck but not one you'd want to take on a cross country trip. Oh...someone knocked out the top of the "a" in Champ which made it a "Chump".
          1996 Impala SS
          1967 Jag XKE FHC
          1963 Avanti R2
          1963 Avanti R1
          1956 Packard Patrician
          1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
          1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Mike; Welcome to the world of Studebaker trucks. I've been into Studebakers since 1969 and have owned quite a few. At last count, I've owned 9 Studebaker trucks and about the same number of cars in that time span. You've already received some good advice from several folks. Skip is a true guru of the Studebaker world. There are others of us who are pretenders!

I'll attempt an answer in 'truck lingo' some of the differences in a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton truck (the remarks are specific to the R series of trucks produced from the 1949-1954 time frame)-

R5 and R6
            R...defined in the preceding paragraph
            5...code for a 1/2 ton rated chassis with a standard 170 cubic inch, flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine, and

This size, 1/2 ton rating, meant the truck as delivered weighed approximately 2650 lbs. The MGW (maximum gross weight rating) for these trucks was 4600 lbs. This meant the truck could carry approximately 1950 lbs without voiding the factory warrenty. However, one would have to subtract the weight of the driver, any added equipment, accessories, gas and oil, passengers, etc. to arrive at a 'carrying' weight- with these trucks of approximately 1/2 ton. The chassis was built then to handle safely and economically on the road at a maximum of 4600 lbs. Any thing over, voided the warrenty and (supposedly) one's life and safety.

6...code for a 1/2 ton rated chassis with a standard 245 cubic inch, flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine.

This same truck with a larger, more powerful engine, had the same MGW as the R5, but the R6's weighed approximately 250plus pounds more due to the heavier engine, larger tires, etc. So, in the scheme of things, the R5 could haul more poundage than the R6, but it would be slower than its sibling and hills might present a problem in traffic (theoretically).

R10 and R11
            R...same as above
            10. Code for a 3/4 ton rated chassis with same engine as the R5,

These vehicles had a MGW of 6100 lbs and had heavier duty axles, springs, shocks, wheels, tires, etc. These trucks came from the factory with a dry weight of approximately 3050 lbs. You can do the math from here. This size truck struggled with the small six and a loaded vehicle.

11. Code for a 3/4 ton rated chassis with the same (larger) engine as the R6.
            These vehicles had the same MGW as the E10 but weighed in at about 3675 lbs dry. Do the math.

These figures are approximations. Studebaker (as other manufacturers) wanted to protect themselves on warrenty claims, so trucks could actually carry more than their nominal ratings. On the farm, I've driven 3/4 ton Dodges with over 7000lbs of gravel in the bed! That violated every warrenty on the vehicle. But, an owner wouldn't do that every day! And thank goodness I wasn't stopped by the police!

This is a nutshell view of the 'difference' between the two sizes. If I wanted an old Studebaker truck as a hobby vehicle, a 1/2 ton would suit the purpose. But, if one wanted a 'tougher lookin' truck or had needs to haul any type of load, I'd prefer a 3/4 tonner. ONE man's opinion!!

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich- I have never heard of any year Studebaker 1/2 Truck being only available in short 6 1/2 ft. bed, they always had a 8 Ft. bed available.=QUOTE]

Studerich; I can't believe you made the above statement!! All 1949-1955 R and E5's came ONLY in 112 inch wheelbases. There were no animals as a 2R5-22 or a E5-22 pickup ever built by Studebaker. Longbed 1/2 ton pickups appeared on the scene with the 2E series trucks in 1956.

Well, I admit I have brain-vacuums at times. You're OK and we love you.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

I am not 100% sure on this,but now will ask are you sure about ALL Studebaker 1/2tons being available with 8' beds ?
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I have never heard of any year Studebaker 1/2 Truck being only available in short 6 1/2 ft. bed, they always had a 8 Ft. bed available.

The only thing I can think of that was not available on both 1/2 and 3/4 Ton would be the short bed on a 3/4 Ton, that just makes no sense at all, you would have the spring and axle capacity to haul quite heavy, large loads but nowhere to put it!

I remember some of the Los Angeles Water & Power Co. 3/4 Ton '62 Champ V8 Automatics that I helped deliver new from the Dealer in Inglewood, CA. They were Special ordered that way for a specific purpose, but they were not offered to the Public and you would find very few of those if any, today.

The 3/4 Ton and larger Trucks can always be distinguished by the Axle Hub sticking out of the rear wheel, that is because they have a Full Floating Rear Axle, a much stronger Axle that can take a lot more punishment.

There is a stronger, thicker, heavier Frame under a 3/4 Ton Truck, heavier Springs and stronger Wheels. A New Chev. or Ford is not a whole lot different in those respects.

The 1/2 and 3/4 Tons only came in two wheelbases, 112 inch short, and 122 Long, most other options, Engines and Transmissions were available on both, but you will find that most were ordered in a certain way that complements the use.
                In other words, most 3/4 Tons had the larger engine, most had the 4 Speed not the 3 Speed etc. etc.

So the bottom line is, if you want a real work truck, a tough, handy rig to haul stuff with that is not real heavy you use a long bed 1/2 ton, but for more weight you use a Long Bed 3/4 Ton.

If all you want to do is Cruise and look cool, a 1/2 Ton Short Bed will do and is preferred and usually goes for more money.

I happen to have my own personal opinion of what a Truck should be, I think a Truck should be a TRUCK! By that I mean, capable of handling just about anything weight or power wise.

My Truck is a '62 Transtar 7E13-131, 1 Ton Dually with a full flow HD 289 4V V8, 12 Inch extra special Factory order clutch with a 3100 Lb. Pressure plate, a New process 5 speed Overdrive and a Twin Traction Dana 70 HD rear axle that was special Factory ordered with 5.13 to 1 ratio, I am now running a 4.56 Ratio Ring and Pinion instead, because I don't plan on pulling too many houses off of their foundations any time soon!

Oh, by the way, it was ordered as a Cab & Chassis so it has a super Heavy Duty Truck Body builder 6 Ft. X 9 Ft. Pickup Box on it and came with an Aluminum Canopy Top.

Try ordering your New Chev. or Ford Pickup with a 6 Ft. wide Bed sometime!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25752[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]25753[/ATTACH]
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes, this is one of the rare times Rich is wrong and just one more of the many times when Frank is right about things Stude truck.

FWIW, my grandfather and father both owned and drove Studebaker trucks and I've owned/driven them for sixty years. There's no truck which looks more right and drives out well. I've also owned Chevy and Ford trucks from the '50s and much prefer the Stude.

As to which is better, 1/2t or 3/4t, you'll need several years of experience to decide. JMHO, but I think the '49-56 3/4t with the Budd wheels is the quintessential Studebaker truck and the '54-55 is the best of the best.

Yes, you'll want a V8 to keep up with today's traffic, so that means a '55. Yes, definitely the 3-speed overdrive is the best transmission for a daily driver, but the T98 4-speed in the later trucks shifts well.

FWIW, a 3/4t can easily be made to ride as well as a 1/2t by removing a few spring leaves.

Drive as many of each as you can and decide for yourself.

Come on over to the Studebaker Truck Farmers and join the truck site http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/ Frank and the experts there can answer any and all of your questions.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Well gosh I must be wrong about those long beds being available on all Pickups since everyone disagrees.
                    That must have been a huge blunder if they didn't build any, since all of the competition did have long bed 1/2 Tons.

Since I would not, and have not owned a pre-'55 non V8 Truck, I did not know that, so I did speak out of turn, sorry I stand corrected.
                    Most all of the new Trucks Dad sold were used as Trucks, so were long beds, in those days Pickups were not used by Soccer Moms as grocery getters.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm sure an early 50's 1/2 ton would haul more than todays 1/2 ton , I have put a 1 ton of wood pellets in the back of one and it only dropped the backend down to level, try that with a 2013 1/2 ton !
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

StudeRich, I own a '61 Champ 1/2 ton with the 6 1/2 foot bed. According to the build sheet it came from the factory that way. I looked up the truck specifications and it appears the 1/2 tons could be ordered with either bed.
                        Sorry, don't mean to appear to be piling on here. I posted this before I had read the rest of the posts.
                        Last edited by Commander Eddie; 07-19-2013, 06:42 AM.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

One other thing worth noting is that most engine and drive train parts are readily available from a network of Stude parts vendors and/or even NAPA.

You asked about gearing, by which I assume you mean rear axles. The 1/2-ton trucks used a Dana 41 or (later) 44. The 44s are still in use, and parts and other ratios are available. The trucks originally came with something around 4:50 to 5:10 to 1, which doesn't make for very fast freeway driving. The highest (lowest numerical) was around 4:09. They used passenger-car-style 15" or 16" wheels. Depending on year, the 3/4-ton and heavier trucks came with a variety of axles, ratios (all low) and wheel bolt patterns.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

I've owned several 6-cyl 4-speed Studes and they just won't keep up with today's traffic. Overdrive is your friend.

As Skip said, the Dana 44 can be had with most any gear ratio from 2.56 to 6.33, so for several hundred dollars, you can tailor the gear to your use. The Timken in the '49-55 3/4 ton 6-cyls varied with transmission, but most were 4.88 or 5.12. The '55-early '56 V8s were the only 4.10 gears. The good news is with some talent, expense and effort, the later Dana 60 can be swapped in and they can also have a 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

STUDERICH

a New process 5 speed Overdrive

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1682905 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1682906[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

WOW !! Now that's a strange combination, at least to me.. Having been with a GMC dealer for several years this combination was never available that I know of to us.. Was this a grannie low transmission with a floor shift ??.. We had New Process transmissions but never like that, that I'm aware of.. Guess that's why Stude made great trucks..

Comment

Working...
                              X