PDA

View Full Version : 1941 doorsill pictures requested

KJongenburger
07-18-2013, 06:21 PM
A few weeks ago I picked up my new car, a 1941 President, after a sea voyage from Houston to Rotterdam.
A beautiful car with a few small issues. One of the issues were the door sills. They were a bit crispy.
So I fixed them,
gave the car a new paint job and applied for a registration.

Today I went for a leisurly drive to the dutch authorities to have the car checked and registered. It was a beautiful day so I really made the best of my "one day permit" and enjoyed the ride.

Unfortunately I could not convince the guys that I simply replaced rusty metal for clean metal. They want either original(ish) drawings or pictures of the original door sill construction. Is anybody able to post pictures of the area, preferably from below, that give a good clean view of the construction of this area? It would be a great help for my next trip to the station.

studerex
07-19-2013, 12:32 AM
http://www.shrockbrothers.com/reproduction/41_step_sill_comm_pres_1200.jpg

The shrocks make excelent reproduction door sill plates. Early production used aluminum door sill plates and later used rubber. If you had these on there they could not have seen the repair. Are you saying they won't register a car with a repaired floor?

Studebaker Wheel
07-19-2013, 01:20 AM
I note in image number four the entire rocker panel is missing. Maybe that is what they object to? The rocker panel is shown in the earlier photo. I assume you removed it when you did the floor repair and never put it back on?

KJongenburger
07-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Studerex, They wont register unless I can convince them the repair is up to the original standard. They think the floor panel going straight down for about 3 inches is a bit flimsy.
Studebaker Wheels,
Now if I had put the rocker panels on the might not have thought that but I am still working on them. They were too far gone and making new ones is at the edge of my ability. I was naive to think that the rocker panels were no part of the structural integrity. They are not but they seem to be part of the optical integrity. Seems to count too if you work for the government.

Or is it that they just want to see this beauty again?25760