Anyone interested in a 61 Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in a 61 Hawk?

Having 3 classics registered and insured, I have decided to part with one of them. Since I use my 53 Stude pickup as a daily driver, and my 70 Galaxie is promised to my son someday, that only leaves the Hawk.
    Description:
    -1961 Studebaker Hawk, Black exterior, red and black interior, 91,XXXmiles and counting.
    -Manual steering and brakes, but there is a JY near here that has a 60 Hawk with power steering and brakes if you wanted to change it over. All steering and suspension is tight.
    -289-4V 225hp, runs excellent, does not smoke. Oil leak at rear, either pan or rear main seal.
    -Trans, it is currently running with a 3 speed (cloumn) trans, but I have the 3 speed/ overdrive trans to go back in it but it apparently needs the sprag clutch repaired first.
    -new dash pad, package tray, insulation, carpet and seat upholstery. Headliner is good, and door panels are good although slightly faded.
    -Brakes look all new from prior owner, I replaced the master cyliner and repaired the hill holder.
    -Body, There are some dents and dings on top of the LH fender, LH door and hood, but nothing major. The paint has been touched up in several places over the car. There is very little rust mostly limited to the rear lower part of the RH fender. Floor boards were alreay repaired, but were not that bad to start. There is some cracked body filler in the LT door which appears there may have been a dent?
    -Trim, all of the stainless trim is in good condition with some needing minor dings removed. The bumpers need rechroming, as does all the potmetal parts. Many of the potmetal parts are available new, but some would have to be rechromed.
    -I recently installed some new aluminum Legend 5 wheels, the tires are new althoiugh they have been on the car for a couple years. They only have about 1,000-1,200 miles on them, and counting.

I drive this almost daily, so it is readily driveable as a "survivor" or "barn find". If you wanted a really nice car you would want to paint it and replace the chrome parts. I will consider removing the new wheels and tires and reinstall the steel wheels, hub caps and used tires to get the price down a bit more if you like.

I am asking $7,000 with the new wheels. This price is pretty firm as I have already dropped from $8k. If I can't get near $7k with the new wheels, I will hang onto it, and probably continue restoration.
    I will also consider full or partial trades for motorcycles such as a Victory Vegas or Harley Vrod. I will look at other models as well, but I am not interested in full dressers or import bikes.
    Please send me an email/pm with contact info if interested. I am located in Northern NY.Click image for larger version

Name:	My classics 06-13 012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1740006

Pictures please!!
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	My classics 06-13 004.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1682898Click image for larger version

Name:	My classics 06-13 006.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1682899Click image for larger version

Name:	My classics 06-13 008.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1682900Click image for larger version

Name:	My classics 06-13 010.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1682901Click image for larger version

Name:	61 hawk pics 103.JPG
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1682902Click image for larger version

Name:	61 hawk pics.JPG
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1682903

Comment

looks nice, seems to be a good price. i wish i had the $ to do more than just look.

i'm sure a lot of folks like me would need to see some "underneath" pics (frame, etc.) to move forward on a possible purchase.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I like that interior a lot! How much did it set you back for the seat covers if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

$654 including shipping for front and rear set.
            When checking into seat upholstery, I basically found 3 places to buy it from:
            1)automotiveinteriors.com- which is where I bought this set from.
            2)Kanter Auto Parts- price was also good, but they would only do a single color.
            3)A guy whose name I don't remember, but apparently had started Phantomworks(?), and now is on his own making upholstery again. His price was double what I paid.

I thought the black and red would go well together so I went with automotiveinteriors.com. I also had checked a local shop who quoted $900 as an estimate.

Comment

Since your local Upholstery Shop wanted $900.00 I assume that is installed, so how much did you pay to install this $654.00 "Mail Order" Interior Kit?
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Installed it myself. And since I don't pay myself very well, installation was free.

Comment

Wish you were 2000 or so miles closer, we would be dealing. Sad...
                  Dave.

Comment

I have removed the new wheels and tires and reinstalled the steelies and OEM hubcaps, dropped the price to $5995. PM me if interested.

Comment

I always thought the '61's to be the most 'mechanically perfected' of the '53-'61 C/K's....A good example of that is the ease of steering (manual steering) than in the previous years Hawk models. The bucket seats were a nice touch also. If I were to purchase this car, I'd probably be on the hunt for a '61-'62 four speed setup!

Comment

Take those wheels off and put Stude hubcaps on newer 15 x 6 steel wheels. Jack up the price to 10,500. Put for sale sign on the rear quarter window. When you're out and about with it, whenever you park, put a sign on the inside of the windshield. Very likely a non Stude person will consider it a great buy {cause it is in comparison to what is out there for sale} for an unusual non chebbie? Don't dump it here unless you try my method and fail. cheers jimmijim
                        Last edited by jimmijim8; 08-12-2013, 03:47 AM.
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                          Take those wheels off and put Stude hubcaps on newer 15 x 6 steel wheels. Jack up the price to 10,500. Put for sale sign on the rear quarter window. When you're out and about with it, whenever you park, put a sign on the inside of the windshield. Very likely a non Stude person will consider it a great buy {cause it is in comparison to what is out there for sale} for an unusual non chebbie? Don't dump it here unless you try my method and fail. cheers jimmijim
                          Well...Dagnabbit Jim! Just when I was 'bout to plunge my household into turmoil over this car. Just when I was thinking about calling and negotiating for a better "deal."

Here you go spoiling the soup. Even though buying this car at an even lower price, probably would have meant my first trip in the car would have been to my local welfare office to apply for a "SNAP" card....you have to sew seeds of "deal killin' weeds!"

And I thought you were my friend
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good morning--I have just noticed your new posting with new price, did it already sell?--Call me here in K,C, when you can Thanks--Bruce Young at (913) 208-5844 ---Nice car and I love it in black.

Comment

I hope all to do well/fair when negotiating a sale. Ebay is not the supreme truth of the market. Sometimes it is the sellers last resort. When people stop accepting less money for what an experienced Stude person deems as a treasure and the true worth of some of these cars is can only benefit the club and the marque collector. Studebakers are a limited production vehicle and they don't make'em anymore. We ain't bottom feeders and some of Studebakers offerings are unparalled in style and quality by many of the collector cars out there cheers. I aint LION. Take it to the bank. jimmijim
                              Last edited by jimmijim8; 08-12-2013, 08:17 AM.
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X