Quality of 1966 Cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of 1966 Cruisers

What is the quality of the 1966 vehicles like?

Am thinking of perhaps getting a Cruiser and not sure of that year as the only one I know of is in Qld, although I believe Bill Pressler's former car was in Victoria with some character named Brian Greenall (smile).

Just that I know nothing about these vehicles.

Opinions anyone?
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Nothing wrong with 66s , by the way Bill's former car isn't a Cruiser its a Daytona.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thx, my apologies to Bill for the wrong name.
      John Clements

Comment

Other than having the same rust issues as previous Lark configurations, a suspension design that didn't change for fifteen years and the dependable GM power, Studebaker was installing some of their finest interiors in the '66 Cruiser. It made for luxurious interiors but few additional sales.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

John, you may also be thinking of Bill Pressler's 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan. It is also "over there," with an interior almost as luxurious as a Cruiser's. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When you figure it's been 47 years since they were manufactured and how few were made... It's amazing how many are still around.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

We have 33 Daytonas on the registry out of 873 built ( less than 4 % ) and a lot to those are not road worthy....I don't call that a lot !
              Last edited by 2R5; 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Other than having the same rust issues as previous Lark configurations, a suspension design that didn't change for fifteen years and the dependable GM power, Studebaker was installing some of their finest interiors in the '66 Cruiser. It made for luxurious interiors but few additional sales.
                I have a '66 Cruiser and the interior is quite well appointed for a car in its original price range. The materials used were similar to the better materials in Buicks, Oldsmobiles and maybe even Cadillacs. It is a comfortable riding car and even without power steering it handles well. The lighter "McKinnon" V8 engine I think adds to its drivability. Being a 4 door the wheelbase is longer than the 2 door models and have plenty of back seat space.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  We have 33 Daytonas on the registry out of 873 built ( less than 4 % ) and a lot to those are not road worthy....I don't call that a lot !
                  I can't agree with this, because first of all we were talking about CRUISERS, and secondly '66 Cruisers WAY outnumber '66 Daytonas in numbers built and especially numbers saved, there sure seems to be a LOT of these Cruisers compared to the number built.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well Rich , if you notice John was talking about Bill's previous car which he thought was a Cruiser....its a Daytona ...so it depends on how you read the original post.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks all for the information, just seemed a "fully loaded" '66 Cruiser would be a good example of our last year, the best of the last if you will. Hopefully I'll see some '66's at a future Aussie National Meet or the NZ one I'm attending next Easter.
                      John Clements

Comment

I personally would love a fully loaded '66 Cruiser. Ideally, one as close to the end of production as possible, just for the historic significance. Owning one of Studebaker's last cars would be pretty cool.
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

A couple of memories of 1966 Cruisers;
                          A neighbor bought a new 1966 Cruiser with six & AT. He got it to replace the 1957 Silver Hawk V8 that he bought new. I remember the Cruiser as being in the shop for small repairs a lot more than the Hawk was.
                          The 1966 Cruisers had a nice appearing interior, but many, including me, did not find that bench seat to be comfortable. Seats fit different people in different ways and different people like different seats. I remember that the shop had a 1966 bench seat for customers to sit on while waiting. That seat came out of a fairly new 1966 Cruiser. It was replaced with an older Studebaker seat. The customer was much happier with the older (c.1964) seat.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

2R5 says: "We have 33 Daytonas on the registry out of 873 built ( less than 4 % ) and a lot to those are not road worthy....I don't call that a lot ! "

I think there's a better survival rate of '58 Packard wagons, is there not???
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think that the low number of 1966 Studebakers built, is in itself, is a reason to collect at least one. I have to admit that I wasn't looking for a 66 when I got mine, but I'm very happy with the car. At nearly 50 years old, it still gets around well on long trips and around town. My wife even likes to drive it, so there you go. As far as quality, I think Studebaker quality was as good as any manufacturer. Maybe not as plush or as stylish as others, but still good quality.
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X