Oh boy I need help fixing a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Oh boy I need help fixing a problem

Hello-- I am not much of a mechanic-- so hopefully somebody can help me answer this-- My climatizer (heater) has 2 hoses that come through the firewall and mount on the underside of the climatizer under the dash on the passenger side. These hoses are hose clamped onto two copper pipe extensions which stick down from the climatizer. Unfortunately one of these copper pipes has pulled loose from the climatizer-- what is the best way to fix this so it will stay in place and not leak? Do I have to remove the climatizer from the car to fix this?

If it matters, it is a 61 Lark VI 4 dr sedan.

Thanks for answering my post.
    Martin in Oregon
    '61 Lark VI Deluxe 4 dr sedan

sigpic

an original Flamingo Lark

Martin, sounds like the heater core will have to come out for repair at a radiator shop, or replacement.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I was afraid of that. I have a shop manual but it is so abbreviated that I have a hard time following it. Anybody that can give me a how-to on how to remove the heater core it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

Martin, check out this link. It's on a '63, but it should be pretty close to your '61.
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...r+core+removal
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Since it is now summer, if that leak is keeping you off the road, you could do a temp fix, good till the weather turns cold. Simply bypass the climatizer, by cutting the hoses, and splicing them together with a 5/8" copper connector, available at most hardware stores. You will also need a couple of hose clamps, again available at a hardware store.
          Hope this helps.
          Joe

Comment

I do not know if you miss worded your Heater Hose routing condition or maybe just did not notice that the Two Hoses from the Engine do not actually Both go to the Heater core, or at least SHOULD not.

The hottest water from the Cylinder Head should be going INTO the Heater Control Valve under the dash, and there should be an elbow shaped very SHORT Hose from the Valve to the Heater Core.

Then the other hose to the firewall is the return from the Heater Core to the front of the Engine, at the Water Pump.

When you get into unscrewing the heater enclosure box from under the dash you may discover this, if NOT someone has bypassed the Valve and maybe even removed it. This will make for VERY HOT Summers!

Unlikely needed note: If this Car has, or Had Air Conditioning when new, all bets are off as to how it is plumbed since few people and certainly not me, have ever seen the special '61 only, Air Conditioning and Heating System that for some reason never was continued after '61.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you StudeRich. It looks like somebody prior to me eliminated the heater control valve under the dash. There is no elbow shaped short hose either. I will research this and try to get it right-- if anybody has a picture of how it should look let me know. I got the heater core out and I will be taking it to a radiator shop for repair. Thanks everyone for your help.
              Martin in Oregon

sigpic

Comment

The heat control valve for a '61 is NOT located under the dash - that is true for '62 and later Lark types only. 1961 Larks had a one year only design of heat control valve that mounts to the cowl flange in the engine compartment. Martin lives not too far from me so he and I will be communicating to resolve his issue.

Comment

Working...
                X