Is this a Studebaker wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Studebaker wheel?

I saw / found this in a small antique shop in central Indiana. Is it one from Studebaker? Can anyone tell / guess the age, model? If necessary, I could provide dimensions and other details. Thanks.. Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1739983 This is my first posted picture, so I hope it works OK.

Dennis

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
    I saw / found this in a small antique shop in central Indiana. Is it one from Studebaker? Can anyone tell / guess the age, model? If necessary, I could provide dimensions and other details. Thanks.. [ATTACH=CONFIG]25676[/ATTACH] This is my first posted picture, so I hope it works OK.

Dennis
    It has the right number of spokes (12) for the 1928-29 period, it looks like it will need a trip to an Amish wagon wheel shop to be overhauled for use on a car unless it would fit on a barn wall as a period antique. Attached is a photo of what it should look like when restored.
    Attached Files

Comment

That IS a Stude hub cap.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude8 View Post
        It has the right number of spokes (12) for the 1928-29 period,...
        But six lugs, not five, and a less refined cap. Also note, it is studded twixt spokes rather than centered on spokes. Perhaps earlier than '28?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

old wood wheel

I saw / found this in a small antique shop in central Indiana. Is it one from Studebaker? Can anyone tell / guess the age, model? If necessary, I could provide dimensions and other details. Thanks.. [ATTACH=CONFIG]25676[/ATTACH] This is my first posted picture, so I hope it works OK.

Dennis
          First I don't have a clue but stude 8 picture has 5 lugs and yours has 6 lugs so it may not be Studebaker Dave

Comment

Somewhere in my stash of stuff, I have one of those hubcaps. That wheel would make a great wall hanger just as it is. What was the price on this one? I would love to have the skill to make wagon wheels. You'd think that it would be relatively easy being that those old craftsmen (Wheel Wrights) had to work with primitive tools. The killer for me would be the precise measurements, arithmetic, and math required to do it correctly.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

studebaker axle cap

Dennis
              While surfing through some early Studebaker wood wheel axle caps I am convinced it is Studebaker. If you fill in the recessed space with black the S is much clearer. There were several wheel manufacturers in the mid 20s and some had 4-5-6 and 7 lugs. Kelsey made all the Studebaker wheels. You might find a "K" stamped on the rim. From 1920-1926 Kelsey made 8 models of wheels for Studebaker all with steel felloes, models 110-32x4, 210-32x4, 90-30x3-1/2, 91 30x3-1/2, 310-29x4, 122-29x4-1/2, 511-30x4-1/2 and 123-30x5. My book shows a bolt pattern as B 62 and B 67, and a variety of lug patterns and models C18, C37S, C55, C56, C62, C17, C63, you would need a Kelsey catalog to decypher what they all mean. The lugs may have a stamp on them it might be a "K" or the model number. Some of the early big cars had different rear wheels than the fronts. Some early cars used 2 or 3 different rims on the same model. When ordering wood wheels you had to state whether front or rear. Some fronts had 10 spokes. If this doesn't confuse you more I haven't done my job. cheers Dave

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Also note, it is studded twixt spokes rather than centered on spokes. Perhaps earlier than '28?
                Please explain the studded twixt spokes. Thanks.

Comment

'twixt=between
                  John
                  1950 Champion
                  W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                  Holdrege NE

Comment

wood spoke wheel

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    But six lugs, not five, and a less refined cap. Also note, it is studded twixt spokes rather than centered on spokes. Perhaps earlier than '28?
                    While surfing through the wheel archives, on most Studebaker wood spoke wheels the bolts go between the spokes. On one model the bolts were staggered one between and the next through the spoke. Most Dodge Bros were staggered. Some of the early Kelsey wheels may have been interchangeable with some modification. The early Fords can be interchanged with Chevrolet by redrilling the valve hole. In the early days people would do what ever it took to get the job done. One model may have 4,5,6 or 7 lugs, bolts may go between the spokes, through the spokes or staggered. And then there are after market wheels. Dave

Comment

Here is a better view of the 1928 Commander 20 inch wood spoke wheels on my car. The spokes are original factory finish, only the metal parts have been repainted.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stude8 View Post
                        Here is a better view of the 1928 Commander 20 inch wood spoke wheels on my car. The spokes are original factory finish, only the metal parts have been repainted.
                        Here is an even closer up view of the 20" wood spoke wheel when being refinished.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely it is a Studebaker wheel, mid to late 20's

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                              While surfing through some early Studebaker wood wheel axle caps I am convinced it is Studebaker. If you fill in the recessed space with black the S is much clearer. There were several wheel manufacturers in the mid 20s and some had 4-5-6 and 7 lugs. Kelsey made all the Studebaker wheels. You might find a "K" stamped on the rim. From 1920-1926 Kelsey made 8 models of wheels for Studebaker all with steel felloes, models 110-32x4, 210-32x4, 90-30x3-1/2, 91 30x3-1/2, 310-29x4, 122-29x4-1/2, 511-30x4-1/2 and 123-30x5. My book shows a bolt pattern as B 62 and B 67, and a variety of lug patterns and models C18, C37S, C55, C56, C62, C17, C63, you would need a Kelsey catalog to decypher what they all mean. The lugs may have a stamp on them it might be a "K" or the model number. Some of the early big cars had different rear wheels than the fronts. Some early cars used 2 or 3 different rims on the same model. When ordering wood wheels you had to state whether front or rear. Some fronts had 10 spokes. If this doesn't confuse you more I haven't done my job. cheers Dave
                              Super detail.. and I'll take a look at this when I get home. The Kelsey (Hayes) Wheel connection is very exciting, as I worked for Kelsey Hayes Co. Gunite Division / Gunite Corporation in the Mid 1980s to 1991..

Comment

Working...
                              X