Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Overdrive Governor

Hi Again,

I was checking out this overdrive and found the governor was full of 90 weight oil, I dont believe that is right but figured I would validate that theroy here.
    I cleaned it all out and replaced the cap, I figured that should be sufficient for now, am I correct or not?

Any input will help.
    Thanks

Studenut1960
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 Lark Thumb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1739982

StudeRich
    I see what you mean that it looks high in the front. The drive slopes down in that area, the rear wheels are on the crown of the drive. The car sits level on level ground.

No; it should be dry. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When filling the 90 Wt. you fill the Overdrive when level, to the fill Plug hole FIRST, then fill the Main Case and do not overfill, could that be your problem maybe? Use only GL-1 Gear Lube.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The governors can fill with oil when the internal seal goes bad. If you empty them and clean the contacts with a very fine points file, you should be Ok for a while. I have no idea how to replace the seal.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
        X