PDA

View Full Version : Uhoh!! Cannot open trunk

erik64
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Duh! I can't believe this happened to my newly acquired 1964 GT hawk. I was closing the trunk I heard something fall gently to the trunk floor. Now the key turns completely around without doing anything. So I assume the linkage between the tumbler and the lock mechanism fell out. I would think the best way to tackle this is from the passenger compartment. But I have a beautifully redone passenger compartment and I want to do minimal damage. What would you guys do?

Thanks Warren

LarkTruck
07-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Warren, Welcome to the Forum. You have no choice. You are going to have to remove the rear seat cushion & backrest, and get a loooong 3/8" drive extension and 7/16" socket and remove the two bolts holding the latch striker to the body.
Jim

57pack
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Can't think of any alternative other than very carefully removing the back seat. Perhaps with the help of another person who works carefully would lessen the chance of damage.

Anne F. Goodman
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Yep or send a skinny kid in there with a flashlight and a socket. He or she would be on an adventure quest. That way it doesn't cost as much.

Scott
07-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Well, now you have a time capsule on wheels. If that's not what you want, the back seat removal is the only non-paranormal way I can think of that you can try.

rknight89
07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
I can think of lots of ways to get in. None are very appealing if you want to save the rest of the car. They all involve cutting torches and grinders and a saw. The back seat idea is the most practical but the least fun!

Swifster
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Use the force Luke...

64V-K7
07-14-2013, 02:54 PM
The steel link from the lock arm to the latch dropped off. This was that exact same thing that happened to me on my 64... So, to prevent it from occurring again.....

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/trunk/trunklatch.html

aarrggh
07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I can be at your house in 8 hours !

http://i39.tinypic.com/w0miqr.jpg

GThawkwind
07-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Wonder if you could still get it with a slim jim.

sweetolbob
07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I can be at your house in 8 hours

Now that is falling down funny.

Bob

JimC
07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Back seat is the way to go. I suppose, if you didn't have carpet or much debris in your trunk, one could theoretically get in there by dropping the gas tank and going through the sending unit access, but that's a ridiculously small hole, and about 100 times the amount of work of just removing the back seat.

Warren Webb
07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't worry about removing the back seat Warren. It had to be installed without damage so just be careful & take it out. The lower cushion will come out by first pushing in the bottom edge rearward to release it from the floor bracket. You should feel it release. There are 2 brackets, each one located in the middle from the side wall & driveshaft tunnel. Lift the cushion up & forward. The seat back should have 2 screws holding the seat frame to the floor along the bottom edge. Remove those, push the seat back upwards to release it from the hooks, then take it out from one side. It helps to have someone assist you, but can be done alone. Just take your time. If your car still has the cardboard divider, that might have to be sacrificed a bit. With a flashlight (I prefer L.E.D. types) & hopefully there isn't anything else in the trunk blocking it, you should see the striker to remove it.

erik64
07-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks all the tips guys.

Hey 64v-k7 I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to. Thanks for the link to that repair. I think I'll use that.

Warren Webb thank you so much for the procedure to take the seats out. That's the thing that bothers me the most. I don't want to wreck this beautiful interior. If It wasn't for you I would have to rent that chainsaw or buy those Twinkies ( ha ha). You Studebaker boys have a sense of humor. I know I came to the right place.

Thanks guys, Warren

Chris_Dresbach
07-14-2013, 10:38 PM
The chainsaw would work, but this is how it's done. I got this... ;)
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/450x301_q75_zpsc6a25de6.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/chris_dresbach/media/450x301_q75_zpsc6a25de6.jpg.html)
I had the same problem with the '64 I have sitting out in the yard. When I got it I didn't have keys to the trunk so I had to crawl through the back and unbolt it. It's took the surprise factor out of what I would find in the trunk doing it that way, but it was the only option. I found a spare tire and jack though. The scary part is I actually do have a extrication K12 saw that came off of Engine 5 sitting in my garage... I just didn't want to destroy the '64s deck lid. It's a parts car though... Whose up for some rescue practice?!

StudeRich
07-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Chris, next time you need a trunk key just borrow 3 or 4 Stude. trunk keys from a few friends, co-workers etc. usually that is all it takes to open a Trunk or Glovebox, just don't bother tying to find a matching Ignition or Door key though, that's more like one in a hundred or TWO chance.