Uhoh!! Cannot open trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhoh!! Cannot open trunk

Duh! I can't believe this happened to my newly acquired 1964 GT hawk. I was closing the trunk I heard something fall gently to the trunk floor. Now the key turns completely around without doing anything. So I assume the linkage between the tumbler and the lock mechanism fell out. I would think the best way to tackle this is from the passenger compartment. But I have a beautifully redone passenger compartment and I want to do minimal damage. What would you guys do?

Thanks Warren
    1964 Gran turismo Hawk
    1954 Packard Pacific

Warren, Welcome to the Forum. You have no choice. You are going to have to remove the rear seat cushion & backrest, and get a loooong 3/8" drive extension and 7/16" socket and remove the two bolts holding the latch striker to the body.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Can't think of any alternative other than very carefully removing the back seat. Perhaps with the help of another person who works carefully would lessen the chance of damage.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Yep or send a skinny kid in there with a flashlight and a socket. He or she would be on an adventure quest. That way it doesn't cost as much.
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well, now you have a time capsule on wheels. If that's not what you want, the back seat removal is the only non-paranormal way I can think of that you can try.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I can think of lots of ways to get in. None are very appealing if you want to save the rest of the car. They all involve cutting torches and grinders and a saw. The back seat idea is the most practical but the least fun!

Comment

Use the force Luke...
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The steel link from the lock arm to the latch dropped off. This was that exact same thing that happened to me on my 64... So, to prevent it from occurring again.....

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I can be at your house in 8 hours !

Comment

Wonder if you could still get it with a slim jim.

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                      I can be at your house in 8 hours

Now that is falling down funny.

Bob

Comment

Back seat is the way to go. I suppose, if you didn't have carpet or much debris in your trunk, one could theoretically get in there by dropping the gas tank and going through the sending unit access, but that's a ridiculously small hole, and about 100 times the amount of work of just removing the back seat.
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Don't worry about removing the back seat Warren. It had to be installed without damage so just be careful & take it out. The lower cushion will come out by first pushing in the bottom edge rearward to release it from the floor bracket. You should feel it release. There are 2 brackets, each one located in the middle from the side wall & driveshaft tunnel. Lift the cushion up & forward. The seat back should have 2 screws holding the seat frame to the floor along the bottom edge. Remove those, push the seat back upwards to release it from the hooks, then take it out from one side. It helps to have someone assist you, but can be done alone. Just take your time. If your car still has the cardboard divider, that might have to be sacrificed a bit. With a flashlight (I prefer L.E.D. types) & hopefully there isn't anything else in the trunk blocking it, you should see the striker to remove it.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks all the tips guys.

Hey 64v-k7 I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to. Thanks for the link to that repair. I think I'll use that.

Warren Webb thank you so much for the procedure to take the seats out. That's the thing that bothers me the most. I don't want to wreck this beautiful interior. If It wasn't for you I would have to rent that chainsaw or buy those Twinkies ( ha ha). You Studebaker boys have a sense of humor. I know I came to the right place.

Thanks guys, Warren
                            1964 Gran turismo Hawk
                            1954 Packard Pacific

Comment

The chainsaw would work, but this is how it's done. I got this...

I had the same problem with the '64 I have sitting out in the yard. When I got it I didn't have keys to the trunk so I had to crawl through the back and unbolt it. It's took the surprise factor out of what I would find in the trunk doing it that way, but it was the only option. I found a spare tire and jack though. The scary part is I actually do have a extrication K12 saw that came off of Engine 5 sitting in my garage... I just didn't want to destroy the '64s deck lid. It's a parts car though... Whose up for some rescue practice?!
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X