Installing new rubber cushions in shaft support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Installing new rubber cushions in shaft support

Hi Fellows, I'm new to the forum and I have a situation that begs understanding. This is for a 1957 Golden Hawk
    with auto transmission. This reminds me of the old deal of putting 5lbs of stuff into a 4lb.bucket.
    These new cushions are too big! The hole in the support is 1.1" and the diameter of the cushion is 1.25". Is there a way to force these cushions into the support without drama or embarrassing myself?
    Part #519175 (cushion) obtained from Stud INT. According to the shop manual the support should slide over these cushions during install. Thanks for any help!

They must have gotten a New supply from a different Supplier, or got different Grommets in the wrong Bin.
    I would Call them and ask for Jim and explain the situation.

Almost a 1/4 inch oversize is NOT going to work!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by LugNut View Post
      Hi Fellows, I'm new to the forum and I have a situation that begs understanding. This is for a 1957 Golden Hawk
      with auto transmission. This reminds me of the old deal of putting 5lbs of stuff into a 4lb.bucket.
      These new cushions are too big! The hole in the support is 1.1" and the diameter of the cushion is 1.25". Is there a way to force these cushions into the support without drama or embarrassing myself?
      Part #519175 (cushion) obtained from Stud INT. According to the shop manual the support should slide over these cushions during install. Thanks for any help!
      It's been awhile, but IIRC, they fit very snug, and must do so in order to do their job. Remove the mount bolts, one side at a time, from the crossmember; insert the rubber piece through the big hole in the driveshaft plate first, then grease and slip the bolt through its hole in the rubber, then remount the bolt to the crossmember; repeat for the other side. It also helps to spit on the outside of the rubber before trying to install it in the large hole.

Comment

Thanks for the input..Yep I call Jim !

Comment

Yep, Thanks for the input . I'll call Jim @SI and see what's the deal..

Comment

I just went into the garage and measured a spare set I've had on hand for several years. The OD is 1.275", and the ID is .5", to accommodate the squish when installed as explained above. But yea, better call Jim.

Comment

Joe, Thanks for going to the trouble to measure. I went to my shop and put a mike on the new cushions and they are 1.275 ! Then I measured the holes in the support and they are 1.055. Thats going to be a lot of squish but I think the cushions are the correct size.
              Thanks again..

Comment

Okay guys, Here's the final on the Drive shaft cushion deal !! Per SI the bushing is correct measuring 1.275, Also the support hole in their support plate is a fraction smaller, maby 1.250. Parts guy can twist the cushion into the hole
                "bare handed". So my support plate is wrong. This car was bought disassembled and this drive shaft came with the car.
                I am doing a Nut&Bolt restoration and as always I keep bumping into WEIRD.. Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X