Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker stamp any identification marks an their original wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Did Studebaker stamp any identification marks an their original wheels?

I'm trying to determine if the wheels that came on my Land Cruiser are original, or if they were replaced at a later date with wheels from a different manufacturer.

Did Studebaker stamp any identification marks on the wheels they installed on their cars at the factory? If they did, when did they start, where would they be located on the wheel, what do they look like?

Mark L
    Mark L

Not sure when, but at some point Studebaker outsourced the wheels they used on their vehicles.

Photo below is along the inside of a rim (center ring) from a wheel that is '47-'50 Commander - obviously made by Budd.

Studebaker had part numbers for the wheels as well - do not know if they were always "inked" on them, but this is a late 1/2 ton truck wheel I bought NOS that had the Studebaker part number on the inside.

Even these wheels were not made by Studebaker - here is a stamping on the outside/brake drum side of the wheel.

While your wheels might not have any numbers, you might get lucky by posting a couple of pics so people can have a guess at it.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, this is very helpful. When I get a chance, I'll post some pictures, but I don't expect it to be in the next week or two.

Mark
      Mark L

Comment

Agree with 62champ. All the Stude wheels I've seen have the size and manufacturer's name (and sometimes the date) stamped in them, usually near the valve stem hole. The only ones I've seen that have Stude part numbers on them were purchased from the parts dept -- and were not originally mounted on a vehicle.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

All wheels should have the NWRA number stamped into them.

Some fun reading from our past...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks again folks.

Mark
            Mark L

Comment

Working...
            X