Love the QR code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the QR code

I received one of the new SDC window stickers with the QR code in my goody bag at Colorado Springs. I placed it on my truck and took it over to John, a twenty-something co-worker that is
    computer savvy. He scanned it for me so I could see what would come up on his smart phone.

I asked him what he thought of it and he said it was awesome. I asked him if he was at a car show and saw that on a car, would he scan it and he said absolutely.

So, my comments to whoever came up with that idea, is that you my freind, are brilliant. I remember seeing a thread a few months ago about this and was surprised that ANYONE would fuss about it. If you don't know what it is and how to use it then, guess what, it wasn't intended for you. But to the millions of youth that we all (most) agree are the future of this club, they WILL use it and learn about a car brand that they just may have never heard of before.

At that, my fellow SDCer, is how you grow this club!

Click image for larger version

Name:	QRcode 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1739956 Click image for larger version

Name:	QRcode 003.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1739957
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Yep, another great new tool, like the Square. When I got my square over a year ago I mentioned it here and, of course, a few dismissed it out of hand- even though it can vastly improve business for swap meet sellers.

The QR code is used more every day. Usually they are used to take one to a website, but they also can be used for a product order site. I made one for our race team's Facebook page, but it doesn't always work. I just need to figure it out a bit better.

Get ready for a few stodgy old HARRUMPHS about the QR code. It's part of the SDC tradition
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Get ready for a few stodgy old HARRUMPHS about the QR code. It's part of the SDC tradition
      That's why I posted this. They don't have to like them and they don't have to put one on their car. I'm just so glad there are folks in this club that recognize and appreciate new technology. Hopefully the stodgy old HARRUMPHS can at least accept it and maybe even see the value. One day they will be gone and someone has to carry the banner.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me, even though I'll never have a device to use it, but then I don't need to, I am a Member!
        Does anyone have a Picture of the thing, so we can see just how UGLY it is?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Sounds like a good idea to me, even though I'll never have a device to use it, but then I don't need to, I am a Member!
          Not only are you a member but you already know about Studebakers. It's for the people that have never seen one and want to know more about it. I don't think it's ugly at all. Very nicely done - don't ya think?

Name:	QRsticker 003.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1682872
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, I know what the Square is, since I've seen commercials about it. Actually sounds pretty neat and didn't even think about using it if I were a swap meet vendor.

But I have no idea what a QR code is, unless we are talking about the little box with all the black and white squares inside it.........???
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I called it! First (carefully disguised) Harrumph Thanks for proving me right, Rich!
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                Not only are you a member but you already know about Studebakers. It's for the people that have never seen one and want to know more about it. I don't think it's ugly at all. Very nicely done - don't ya think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25633[/ATTACH]
                Looks very good, better with the weird Blob cut off though!
                It reminds me of one of those Eye Tests for Color blindness with the hidden numbers.
                Or maybe a Ink Blot Psychological Test.

Thanks for giving us a preview of the New Decal Jon.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Where can I get one?

Mark L
                  Mark L

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    I called it! First (carefully disguised) Harrumph Thanks for proving me right, Rich!
                    Why didn't I think of that?

Dick

Dick
                    Mountain Home, AR
                    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Let me be the first.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                        Where can I get one?

Mark L
                        We were told at the Colorado Meet that these new window decals (which are the "cling on" not "stick on" type) would be sent to each member (1 per membership) at the time of joining or renewal. In the meantime they are at the SDC Club Store (SNM) for $1 apiece.

A big "thumbs-up" to our Marketing Committee that came up with this idea.
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
                          Why didn't I think of that?

Dick
                          Congrats on the new Champ,Dick! [harrumph harrumph!]
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Let me be the first. Bob
                            you beat me to it.

for doing so, i'd like to give you a "laurel, and hardy handshake"!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                              We were told at the Colorado Meet that these new window decals (which are the "cling on" not "stick on" type) would be sent to each member (1 per membership) at the time of joining or renewal. In the meantime they are at the SDC Club Store (SNM) for $1 apiece.

A big "thumbs-up" to our Marketing Committee that came up with this idea.
                              The Marketing Committee thanks you! The QR (Quick Response) code is just one small way we can demonstrate that the club is in touch with today's technologies and tomorrow's classic car enthusiast (hopefully a Studebaker). The QR on the new SDC window decal, rather than just take the "scanner" to the SDC website, goes to a special page formatted for mobile phones with information that is quick and easy for folks to read while walking around at a car show.

For those of you with a smart phone, here is the QR that is on the new SDC decal. Check it out.

Name:	qrcode_SDCmobile.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1682873
                              Okay, for those who are smart phone challenged, here is the link to the special greeting page. Note that it contains an invite and link to the main SDC website home page.

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

As I say, the special "landing page" is a quick way to make a positive first impression that will hopefully motivate the visitor to want to know more. The landing page makes sense (versus sending folks directly to the website) because few people would want to stop walking/looking at the cars to browse through a very large website instantly. This way, they "get the message" but then can visit the main site when it's more convenient.

In my opinion, the best thing about QR codes is that they can quickly deliver a custom message or information. Another example of this is a custom QR code I created to allow folks to get more information about my 1960 Hawk.
                              Presuming I ever get it back on the road, here is the custom QR I made to display in the window:

Name:	Bob Shaw_Visual_QR.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1682874

Think of this as a digital "show card". Okay, so maybe my Studebaker is not that "special" but many of you do have really special cars and trucks that people would like to know more about. Anyway, some time back I wrote a how-to article on this for chapter newsletter editors to use but I don't know how many actually published it (yet).
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X