PDA

View Full Version : Love the QR code

Sdude
07-13-2013, 01:25 PM
I received one of the new SDC window stickers with the QR code in my goody bag at Colorado Springs. I placed it on my truck and took it over to John, a twenty-something co-worker that is
computer savvy. He scanned it for me so I could see what would come up on his smart phone.

I asked him what he thought of it and he said it was awesome. I asked him if he was at a car show and saw that on a car, would he scan it and he said absolutely.

So, my comments to whoever came up with that idea, is that you my freind, are brilliant. I remember seeing a thread a few months ago about this and was surprised that ANYONE would fuss about it. If you don't know what it is and how to use it then, guess what, it wasn't intended for you. But to the millions of youth that we all (most) agree are the future of this club, they WILL use it and learn about a car brand that they just may have never heard of before.

At that, my fellow SDCer, is how you grow this club!

25618 25619

Bob Andrews
07-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Yep, another great new tool, like the Square. When I got my square over a year ago I mentioned it here and, of course, a few dismissed it out of hand- even though it can vastly improve business for swap meet sellers.

The QR code is used more every day. Usually they are used to take one to a website, but they also can be used for a product order site. I made one for our race team's Facebook page, but it doesn't always work. I just need to figure it out a bit better.

Get ready for a few stodgy old HARRUMPHS about the QR code. It's part of the SDC tradition :)

Sdude
07-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Get ready for a few stodgy old HARRUMPHS about the QR code. It's part of the SDC tradition :)

That's why I posted this. They don't have to like them and they don't have to put one on their car. I'm just so glad there are folks in this club that recognize and appreciate new technology. Hopefully the stodgy old HARRUMPHS can at least accept it and maybe even see the value. One day they will be gone and someone has to carry the banner.

StudeRich
07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, even though I'll never have a device to use it, but then I don't need to, I am a Member! :D
Does anyone have a Picture of the thing, so we can see just how UGLY it is? :p

Sdude
07-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, even though I'll never have a device to use it, but then I don't need to, I am a Member! :D

Not only are you a member but you already know about Studebakers. It's for the people that have never seen one and want to know more about it. I don't think it's ugly at all. Very nicely done - don't ya think?

r1lark
07-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Well, I know what the Square is, since I've seen commercials about it. Actually sounds pretty neat and didn't even think about using it if I were a swap meet vendor.

But I have no idea what a QR code is, unless we are talking about the little box with all the black and white squares inside it.........??? :confused:

Bob Andrews
07-13-2013, 05:35 PM

I called it! First (carefully disguised) Harrumph :) Thanks for proving me right, Rich!:D:D:D

StudeRich
07-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Not only are you a member but you already know about Studebakers. It's for the people that have never seen one and want to know more about it. I don't think it's ugly at all. Very nicely done - don't ya think?

:yeahright: Looks very good, better with the weird Blob cut off though!
It reminds me of one of those Eye Tests for Color blindness with the hidden numbers.
Or maybe a Ink Blot Psychological Test.

Thanks for giving us a preview of the New Decal Jon. :)

Mark L
07-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Where can I get one?

Mark L

50starlite
07-13-2013, 06:27 PM
I called it! First (carefully disguised) Harrumph :) Thanks for proving me right, Rich!:D:D:D

Why didn't I think of that?

Dick

sweetolbob
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Let me be the first.

http://youtu.be/JN99jshaQbY

Bob

Mark57
07-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Where can I get one?

Mark L

We were told at the Colorado Meet that these new window decals (which are the "cling on" not "stick on" type) would be sent to each member (1 per membership) at the time of joining or renewal. In the meantime they are at the SDC Club Store (SNM) for $1 apiece. :)

A big "thumbs-up" to our Marketing Committee that came up with this idea. :!!:

52hawk
07-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Why didn't I think of that?

Dick Congrats on the new Champ,Dick! [harrumph harrumph!]

Corvanti
07-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Let me be the first.
http://youtu.be/JN99jshaQbY Bob

you beat me to it. :cool:

for doing so, i'd like to give you a "laurel, and hardy handshake"!:woot:

BShaw
07-13-2013, 09:48 PM
We were told at the Colorado Meet that these new window decals (which are the "cling on" not "stick on" type) would be sent to each member (1 per membership) at the time of joining or renewal. In the meantime they are at the SDC Club Store (SNM) for $1 apiece. :)

The Marketing Committee thanks you! The QR (Quick Response) code is just one small way we can demonstrate that the club is in touch with today's technologies and tomorrow's classic car enthusiast (hopefully a Studebaker). The QR on the new SDC window decal, rather than just take the "scanner" to the SDC website, goes to a special page formatted for mobile phones with information that is quick and easy for folks to read while walking around at a car show.

For those of you with a smart phone, here is the QR that is on the new SDC decal. Check it out.
Okay, for those who are smart phone challenged, here is the link to the special greeting page. Note that it contains an invite and link to the main SDC website home page.

https://sites.google.com/site/sdcgreetingpage/

As I say, the special "landing page" is a quick way to make a positive first impression that will hopefully motivate the visitor to want to know more. The landing page makes sense (versus sending folks directly to the website) because few people would want to stop walking/looking at the cars to browse through a very large website instantly. This way, they "get the message" but then can visit the main site when it's more convenient.

In my opinion, the best thing about QR codes is that they can quickly deliver a custom message or information. Another example of this is a custom QR code I created to allow folks to get more information about my 1960 Hawk.
Presuming I ever get it back on the road, here is the custom QR I made to display in the window:

Think of this as a digital "show card". Okay, so maybe my Studebaker is not that "special" but many of you do have really special cars and trucks that people would like to know more about. Anyway, some time back I wrote a how-to article on this for chapter newsletter editors to use but I don't know how many actually published it (yet).

JimC
07-13-2013, 10:00 PM
As one of the people who whined and begged for this, this makes me so very happy. This is a great way to reach new people with the scoop on our great cars. I can't wait to get one so I can put it on my car.

4961Studebaker
07-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Very cool indeed. Can't wait to put the new sticker on the car.
You may have noticed a couple of vendors advertising in TW have used QR codes for awhile.

And last- you need a QR reader app from the app store. Once installed it utilizes the camera to take a clear picture

I use RED LASER.
What other apps are you guys/gals using with success??

Spannerbird
07-14-2013, 12:08 AM
I really wish more vendors used Square, or some kind of card reader. When I went to multiple tables, I had a cheque book with me because I figured people would at least say yes to one of those, but I had maybe $8 cash on me (common.) When the new younger members including me begin coming to the meets, we're not going to be carrying $3k in cash, nor cheques, so vendors are gonna have to gumble and get with it. I'm not going to say the cost is really super low to get into the ecommerce area, but there are going to be people like me whom won't be able to, nor will want to hand $30 cash to someone when we can simply negotiate a price, and then pay by card. Only downside to these conveniences is cost of transaction. It's about 3.75% which to me isn't that bad. If you need to, simply add on that percentage to the price, and round up. If negotiations cost you a bit of money, just think that it's one less thing you have to possibly drive back home with where ever home is.

I know S.I. said they couldn't justify the cost, and I can in ways see the point, but to me saving 2 weeks in running several hundred manual C.C. transactions is well worth it. You can buy devices like my phone for about $80 and the service for around $25. Maybe there's a solution for less out there.

As for the QR code. I see those literally all the time at school. It saves quite a bit of time writing info on a piece of paper or media when you can simply convert text online and enlarge the QR code to meet your needs. People in a hurry can put their phone out, scan the code and be directed to whatever website, or read whatever info the code is presenting at a more convenient time. You can have them as small as half the size of your little finger nail, or as large as a refrigerator, or bigger. Woooo to vector graphics!!

I use the one by AT&T, but it was free. I'm sure red laser is probably free as well.

Warren Webb
07-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Wow! I think this new decal is great! I've always preferred the Studebaker block lettering that they used last over the "Wheel" logo. The whole thing looks modern & hip and should be a successful tool to go with the posters "We invented cool." A trip to the SDC store is in order!!!

rockne10
07-14-2013, 02:19 AM
And many youthful smart phone savvy show attendees will scan the square simply because they can; and will also be impressed with Studebaker's first by far with a modern media.:!!:

I have enlarged and saved the QR as a photo file and can now attach it to any message I send.

I may be stultified but the SDC is not!

DEEPNHOCK
07-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Also...
It is not a sticker. It is a 'clingy'.
You can peel it off and put it on anything that you can see through.
Makes cleaning your windows a lot easier.
Nice looking, even if a bit small.

Your SDC chapter can buy them in larger quantities.
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

oregonroses
07-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Bob-I'm interested in making a "personalized" QR code like you did for your vehicle. Is it possible for you to send me some how-to steps or hints?

thanks!

Sdude
07-14-2013, 10:42 AM
I may be stultified but the SDC is not!

Stultify,fied, 1. to make, or cause to appear, foolish or ridiculous. 2. to render futile or ineffectual, esp. by degrading or frustrating means. 3. Law. to allege or prove to be of unsound mind. (that is - according to Webster)

Yes, I had to look it up. I thought I would save others the trouble. Good word...

Bob Andrews
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Bob-I'm interested in making a "personalized" QR code like you did for your vehicle. Is it possible for you to send me some how-to steps or hints?

thanks!

Easy to do. Just google 'QR code generator' and take your pick. Here's one:

http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/

candbstudebakers
07-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Come on guys I am just learning how to use the dial phone and miss the lady saying number please.

4961Studebaker
07-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Scanning the code from my monitor screen took me here!

https://sites.google.com/site/sdcgreetingpage/.
(just as stated in BSHAW's post)
I just had to try it myself :)

sweetolbob
07-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Scanned the code from my monitor screen took me here!

https://sites.google.com/site/sdcgreetingpage/. (just as stated in BSHAW's post)
i just had to try it myself :)

In this electronic/digital era, this is a great idea. I'll bet this idea generated several 100X more hits than all the WWW. stickers we can put on all of our cars.

Scary even more is this old fart will have a phone that will read those things in a couple of days. OHHH! The humanity of that. Harrumph;)

Bob

BShaw
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM

thanks!

Creating the actual QR code as Bob A says can be done by many free sources BUT for this specific application it is just one part of the creation process. Creating the destination mobile "landing page' is the key.

Now, you can create a free mobile page via Google (http://www.google.com/sites/help/mobile-landing-pages/mlpb.html#template_custom_green) such as was done for the new SDC window decal. However, for my own personal QR code where the code is embedded within the lazy S emblem there are fewer resources for that. I used the free version at Visualead.

Following is the how-to article I wrote:

Here's Proof That Technology is "STUDEBAKER COOL!"

You've seen those square symbols in ads and even on TV and billboards inviting you to scan them with your smartphone? They are called QR Codes. The SDC uses them to guide folks to the website and perhaps you've seen other car clubs use them. Yes, there are always comments like, "what good are they" and "I'll never use them". Fair enough, but what if we gave you a really cool reason to jump in the QR pool?

There is a website (www.visualead.com (http://www.visualead.com)) that allows you to create a custom QR Code that you can set up to give car show visitors information about your Studebaker. It's kind of like a digital "show card". Your custom QR might show visitors the year, model, how many were made, stock or custom features…anything you want to list. Now are you intrigued? Well, read on because here's how you can make your own custom QR Code and a nifty looking "decal" that goes in your car window.

1. Go to this web address and download the special background artwork: http://tinyurl.com/QRbackground and save it to your computer.

2. Go to www.visualead.com (http://www.visualead.com) and click the "Create Yours Now" button.

3. You'll now be on the "Edit QR" page. In the left side list, select "Rich Text" as the type of QR you'll create.

4. Now you'll see text in the smart phone you will replace with your own text using the formatting tools at the top. We recommend starting with a big and bold headline like, "Thank You for looking at my __________!" List all the info you want as mentioned above.

5. Remember to include links to your chapter website and the SDC website using the "link" icon in the formatting menu.

6. When you have your "page" formatted and reading as you want, click the "next" button.

7. Now you're on the "select Image" page. Here's where you'll browse to the "Scan Me QR graphic.jpg" file you downloaded in step 1.

8. Now you're on the "Place QR" page where you'll see the background "Scan Me" graphic with a square suspended over it.

9. The square has handles on it. Using any of the handles drag them until you make the square cover the "lazy S" but do not go outside the black border.

10. Once you have the square sized and positioned where you want it, click the "Generate Silver" button. This will process the graphic and show you the QR.

11. Click "Next" to go to the "Get It!" page.

12. Here is where you'll need to create a free account to proceed. Just follow the instructions (of course, you can also create the account at the outset if you wish)

13. Once you have an account and logged in you'll get a page with 3 choices for getting your custom QR code. Both "Gold" an "Silver" cost money. Silver costs $14 and is well worth it). However, you can choose the "Free" version. The main difference in the free version is Visualead shows a very brief ad before sending the smartphone user on to your custom page. We recommend making it a free version then if you agree that it's a pretty cool thing, you can "upgrade" without having to start over (because the custom QR you created is saved in your Visualead account). Anyway, choose the QR you want and click the "download" arrow beneath it. You'll probably be asked where you want to save it.

That's basically it. Once on your computer you can print it on a heavy paper, trim it neatly around the border and maybe even get it laminated at your office supply store. Then just display it in your car window where it waits to serve passersby who are drooling over your ride and want to know more about it. What's more, your Visualead account will keep track of the number of times your custom QR code has been scanned.

8E45E
07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
In this electronic/digital era, this is a great idea. I'll bet this idea generated several 100X more hits than all the WWW. stickers we can put on all of our cars.

I hope the website has a counter for the number of hits and the locations for scans by interested ones and others. This will confirm how successful it is.

As for QR codes, they are everywhere; from magazine ads to bus benches, etc., therefore, any resistance to having them appear on our club membership decals is unfounded. If it isn't already, I expect to see a QR code on SDC ads in Hemmings and other old car publications.

Craig

BShaw
07-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I hope the website has a counter for the number of hits and the locations for scans by interested ones and others. This will confirm how successful it is.
Craig

The SDC's QR landing page has "Google Analytics" embedded into it that provides an enormous amount of data. However, as for "location", only the country is logged. A visitor's specific location info gets into privacy issues.

studegary
07-14-2013, 07:22 PM

There is one major flaw in this approach. The SDC Life Members never receive any of these mailings (that include special items) that are sent with renewals. There should be a one time mailing of one of these new clings to each SDC Life Member.

I agree that this (QR code) is the way to go, even though I do not have a smart phone. Most people younger than I am do have a smart phone and expect to get their information through their phone or the Internet.

Mark57
07-15-2013, 05:48 PM
There is one major flaw in this approach. The SDC Life Members never receive any of these mailings (that include special items) that are sent with renewals. There should be a one time mailing of one of these new clings to each SDC Life Member.

I agree that this (QR code) is the way to go, even though I do not have a smart phone. Most people younger than I am do have a smart phone and expect to get their information through their phone or the Internet.

Good point Gary, but as others have mentioned, SDC Chapters can place a bulk order for these and receive a discounted price. That way Chapter members can get their hands on a number of these so they can be spread around to be placed on both a member's Studebakers and Brand X's. Just suggesting another option. :)

Bob Henning
07-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Gary,

Good point, but not a major flaw. Just send Mark at Cornerstone a self-addressed envelope with a request for the "Clingy", and he will send you one.

Bob Henning

BobWaitz
07-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Our chapter hands out wooden nickels with QR codes on them to people that show up at events driving Studebakers in an effort to a) reward members for driving their Studebakers, and b) make Studebakers drivers that aren't members aware of our club. We figure that while people might throw away a card or flyer, they won't ever throw away a wooden nickel. We hope at some future date allow people to redeem them for things like $5 off entry to our car show or that sort of thing. You can see the QR side of it on my icon.

JimC
07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Bob,

Those are great. That could become a collectors item :D Using them as points towards something seems to reward growth too. First person to collect half a million gets a Golden Hawk? :D :D :D

Son O Lark
07-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Interestingly SDC didn't use it's "NEW" logo on the clingy.

Timj
07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Great idea! I am going to quit procrastinating and join today. I may make one for my car as well. You can make your own using this ink jet printable clingy. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/212881/Office-Depot-Brand-Inkjet-Window-Decals/

BShaw
07-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Great idea! I am going to quit procrastinating and join today. I may make one for my car as well. You can make your own using this ink jet printable clingy. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/212881/Office-Depot-Brand-Inkjet-Window-Decals/

Tim, it looks like the decal material you referenced is a permanent adhesive, not a static cling.

JimC
07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
For a few months now, I've been working on a little project that would give a classic car owner a customized personal web site to showcase their car, along with a set of custom QR code stickers they can mount on their glass. Anyone interested could PM me or email me on the forum. It's in the research and development stage right now, so don't expect your decals in the mail tomorrow! ;)

jamesr
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I made up one of these a while back. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
I had stickers of it made too. I put one of these on my vent window. Also,
I had a magnet made that I can mount in a more visible place at car shows.
The whole idea was to give a walk around guide of the car for people who may be interested.
I always get 'that sure is different' at car shows. I'm hoping most people
mean that in a good way. I am looking forward to taking the car to Kool Deadwood Nites
in August. That is a real happening and should be a fun place to show the Lark.

25716 25718

Jim R.
North Star Chapter

4961Studebaker
07-17-2013, 01:52 PM
"jamesr
I made up one of these a while back. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
I had stickers of it made too. I put one of these on my vent window. Also,
I had a magnet made that I can mount in a more visible place at car shows.
The whole idea was to give a walk around guide of the car for people who may be interested.
I always get 'that sure is different' at car shows. I hoping most people
mean that in a good way. I am looking forward to taking the car to Kool Deadwood Nites
in August. That is a real happening and should be a fun place to show the Lark."

25716 25718

Neat site, really like the Grille badge Detail....Cu Periodic table symbol for Copper

Nice thing about the Reader app is they keep a search history, scan, and you can go back and read later.
Really like the Magnet and wooden nickle ideas people have used and use.

LeoH
07-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, count me in the harumph section, because I'm still a fan of the wheel logo. I'd appreciate consideration for adding the QR code to other Stude stickers designs for variety's sake as opportunities present themselves. I will slap on the clingy thingy when I get one though.

I do think the wooden nickel idea is a very clever one.

StudeDave57
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Interestingly SDC didn't use it's "NEW" logo on the clingy.
And I was just starting to get to like that one too... :rolleyes:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

StudeRich
07-20-2013, 07:40 PM
My gosh, we never even got these printed yet and they are obsolete ALREADY? :( :mad:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4663&d=1287970609&thumb=1 (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4663&d=1287970609)

They have to be KIDDING! These Designs are moving faster than a speeding smart phone! :ohmy:

What happened to these?

All we have got is this?:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25633&d=1373750649 (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25633&d=1373750649)
It's OK, but just not the same as a real sticker with a solid background so you can see it from farther than 3 feet.

OPS, take em back, somebody forgot the period after Inc. the abbreviation for Incorporated must have a Period.

50starlite
07-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I forgot that the windows on my 8E are tinted, oops! Well, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the truck out of the garage to see if it'll scan.

Dick

oregonroses
07-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Easy to do. Just google 'QR code generator' and take your pick. Here's one:

http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/

Thanks for the link!