Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: oh dangit...

Hello All,

My 15-year-old daughter was helping me work on my 6V + ground Speedster today by loosening the tensioner bolt on the generator bracket (gotta start easy, right?).

I wasn't looking when she recoiled from the car and said there was a spark... Best I could tell, the wrench she was using momentarily made contact with the center post on the voltage regulator.

I'll be the first to state that electricity scares me and I don't understand it very well; so I was wondering, has damage been done? How can I tell? Does this mean I should re-polarize the generator? Do something else?

Thanks! I'm glad to have reconnected with the group after about a 10 year hiatus....

~James
    -James

Just fire it up and watch the Ammeter, if she charges you should be good.

If not, try turning on the Headlights for a minute that should get it going. If all else fails, follow the Shop Manual instructions for a Delco Generator and polarize the Regulator Terminals.

If still no charge, you may have to test the Regulator as it could be cooked.

Good to have you back James!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster#201 View Post
      Hello All,

My 15-year-old daughter was helping me work on my 6V + ground Speedster today by loosening the tensioner bolt on the generator bracket (gotta start easy, right?).

I wasn't looking when she recoiled from the car and said there was a spark... Best I could tell, the wrench she was using momentarily made contact with the center post on the voltage regulator.

I'll be the first to state that electricity scares me and I don't understand it very well; so I was wondering, has damage been done? How can I tell? Does this mean I should re-polarize the generator? Do something else?

Thanks! I'm glad to have reconnected with the group after about a 10 year hiatus....

~James
      I am just a little unclear I am not that familiar with a speedster but on most cars the fan belt tensioner is about 3 feet from the voltage regulator I don't quite comprehend how a short could occur between those two contacts. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
        I am just a little unclear I am not that familiar with a speedster but on most cars the fan belt tensioner is about 3 feet from the voltage regulator I don't quite comprehend how a short could occur between those two contacts. Dave
        It comes under the heading '----' happens!

Comment

Thanks, StudeRich

Refreshed myself on the manual about re-polarizing and there was a line about it being done before the car is started as serious damage could occur.... So, re-polarized the generator at the voltage regulator per shop manual and started it up. In the past, whenever it's running, the ammeter has almost ALWAYS been just to the right of center; I really thought nothing of it -- presumed that to be correct. I've only run it for about five minutes since the mishap but it's been holding steady at about +30... Is this typical? Is something wrong? Run it longer and it'll go to center again?

Sorry for the questions -- I don't have much to compare it to, experience-wise.

Thanks again,
          James
          -James

Comment

Hi again, Gents
            I really need advice as I'm prepping for a long road trip -- leaving Monday.
            Keeping this under old thread just in case it's related. Could be coincidence... As per my last post above, it started fine and I thought that was the end of it.
            Went out today to start it up and it's stone cold dead. Simple question with a lot of potential answers: Could what happened at the start of the thread be causing the generator or voltage regulator to drain the battery?
            Historically, she's been terrific about starting up so it was unnerving to find it dead this morning.

Thanks,
            James
            -James

Comment

Yes, it could have cooked the regulator. To do the tests you have to start with a charged battery. Then you can check the generator with just a simple jumper wire (as per the shop manual). You can then check the regulator as per the shop manual. Repolarize before you start the car. Is it a Delco regulator or a repop? I went though 3 repops before SDC friends found me a Delco. Good luck.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It is a delco. Thanks, Dave. I will dive into the shop manual and try to figure it out...
                -James

Comment

If I replace the battery, how long can I expect it to run? Instructions on testing the regulator and generator aren't detailed enough for my inexperience and messing with electrical stuff freaks me out... Would I be able to drive it several hours on end (and disconnect the battery upon arrival)? Or should I cancel my trip? Craaaaappp.......
                  -James

Comment

It's a long way to Monday. Charge that battery and find the problem. You don't want to be on the road and not have a charging system. best thing I learned on here was to put a big ground strap from positive battery terminal to a starter bolt. There are two places to look in the Shop manual. Easy tests at the start of the electrical section and another test on the regulator section. A Delco can be repaired if you follow the manual. Good luck. It's worth having an electrical guy go over it if you can't get it fixed in time.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

A >>dead<< battery can sometimes recover almost almost completely with extended charging.
                      I'd take it out and get it on a charger.

I don't normally recommend parts swappin' to fix problems, But if I was not comfortable diagnosing what is right/wrong, I'd be tempted to pop in a new regulator, install a charged battery, and start it up, expecting the charging to be back to normal.

Comment

During normal operation, what should the ammeter read (i.e., normal)?
                        -James

Comment

It may run 5 or 10 Min. with the Needle just a needle thickness or two to the + (right side) depending on how low the state of charge in the Battery is, but ideally it should go to the Center when idling and faster unless you have a lot of electrical items running, Lights, Def. Fan, Heater Fan, Radio, Wipers.

Have you looked to see if your Stop Lights are stuck in the ON mode when Parked with the Batt. connected, that would drain the Batt. over night. A bad Stop Light Switch will do that.

Harbor Freight sells Battery Chargers for $29.00 or $39.00 depending on their Sales, and they are switchable from 12 Volt to 6 Volt. If you do not have one, you do need one.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich!

Thank you for the reply. That's awesome. Thank you for confirming everything looks good... And I've got a charger -- been putting it to good use!

Again, thanks for the reply.

Best,
                            James
                            -James

Comment

So the ammeter is showing normal charging now?

Comment

Working...
                              X