Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: interior finishes & color

Hi friends,
    Can someone educate me about the interior of my 54 Champion coupe? The production order for this car does not refer to an interior color. The original exterior colors were chadron red with velvet black roof. The car was repainted long ago inside and out to a metallic blue. The interior now appears to be original upholstery. It is white vinyl and green fabric. Can this be correct with a red and black car? How were interior colors determined upon manufacture as there is no notation on the production order? Is there possibly a code on a tag hiding somewhere? Also, how were the metal surfaces like the dash finished? Body exterior color? I've had this car and have been driving it regularly for 10 years but now it is crying to be restored and I would like to return it to as it was originally delivered.
    Thanks in advance for all your wise studebakerly council on this.
    Dennis

Dashes and all Interior Painted surfaces were either Gray or Tan, with MOST Interior Colors, no Body Colors.
    Green or Blue Interiors with Red Paint were rare (and Ugly) but existed. There MAY still be a Paint paper Label on the bottom of the outside of the Glove box.

The Production Order would show the Interior Color in Code.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Interior colors (paint and upholstery) are based on whether the car is a Deluxe or Regal (C3 or C5), on what the exterior color is, and if the car had cloth or vinyl upholstery.
      Green cloth with White vinyl trim wasn't a '54 option. It does sound like something found in a '56 though.
      Yes, do tell us what it says for trim on the production order.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Dashes and all Interior Painted surfaces were either Gray or Tan, with MOST Interior Colors, no Body Colors.
        Green or Blue Interiors with Red Paint were rare (and Ugly) but existed. There MAY still be a Paint paper Label on the bottom of the outside of the Glove box.

The Production Order would show the Interior Color in Code.
        Rich - I believe that your answer applies more to 1953 models than the 1954 asked about.

The 1954 C/K interiors were Mauve Tan, Amazon Green, Aero Gray or Aura Blue. This is for the interior metal parts and the color is determined by the car's exterior color, except for cars with all vinyl or leather interior, then the metal was Mauve Tan.

This particular car, with a Chardon Red main body color should have Aero Gray inerior panels unless it came with vinyl or leather, then it should have Mauve Tan.

The body exterior colors and interior upholstery should be on your production order, but may be in code. Can you post the production order? I do not believe that your upholstery is original to a 1954.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Rich - I believe that your answer applies more to 1953 models than the 1954 asked about.

The 1954 C/K interiors were Mauve Tan, Amazon Green, Aero Gray or Aura Blue. This is for the interior metal parts and the color is determined by the car's exterior color, except for cars with all vinyl or leather interior, then the metal was Mauve Tan.

This particular car, with a Chardon Red main body color should have Aero Gray inerior panels unless it came with vinyl or leather, then it should have Mauve Tan.

The body exterior colors and interior upholstery should be on your production order, but may be in code. Can you post the production order? I do not believe that your upholstery is original to a 1954.
          Thanks for the input. I see a trim number on the production order. It is 8001. Can you interpret that for me?
          Dennis

Comment

Can you advise what it says all they way across that line?
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Only the 8001. I have tried to attach a scan but I can't seem to make it happen. I also am in Lakeland FL. 863-606-5598. dcraig45@tampabay.rr.com.
              Pleas email me and I will attach the scan to my reply. Thanks for trying to help.
              Dennis

Comment

The only production orders I've ever seen with numbers only shown for "trim" are truck prod. orders. That's not to say I KNOW the original order has some letters too. But I do think it's worth a call to the museum and ask them to double check the original. You paid for all the information on the original order. I don't know who actually prepares those forms; a volunteer I'm guessing.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                X