PDA

View Full Version : Windshield - Tinted or not? Which to install

HammondA100
07-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I have two windshields for my 57 Silver Hawk.. As being about the last stage in the resto, I have a like new clear one (has ohio registration sticker from 1969) and the one which came out of the car (Calif plant) - a green tinted but overly pitted and scratched. The pits are small but they are numerous. Thinking in sunlight it may hamper vision but only when there's a glare. On the other hand it does look nice on such a dark paint job.. But the other is flawless.... What to do??

The car will be parked outside daily in the sun..

warrlaw1
07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I went with a new clear windshield (it still has a slight tint) because all the other windows were clear. I really like that dark green tint Studebaker offered ( my aunt's 60 Lark looked great with it), but only if the whole car is done the same. good luck.

sweetolbob
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I have two windshields for my 57 Silver Hawk.. As being about the last stage in the resto, I have a like new clear one (has ohio registration sticker from 1969) and the one which came out of the car (Calif plant) - a green tinted but overly pitted and scratched. The pits are small but they are numerous. Thinking in sunlight it may hamper vision but only when there's a glare. On the other hand it does look nice on such a dark paint job.. But the other is flawless.... What to do??

The car will be parked outside daily in the sun..

Take both outside on a sunny day, set one at a time in the position it will be when driving, set looking out and tip each at different angles to see how the pits will appear in sunlight as you drive. The clear one will give you a comparison. I think you will be surprised at how much the pits will bother you. If not, then the decision is straight forward.

I'd never install a significantly pitted W/S if I had an alternative without a lot of data. Just to much trouble, although not irreversible.

If it's only for shows, probably not a big issue. As a driver, get the data. Pretty, pretty goes away quickly when it interferes with my driving.

Bob

Swifster
07-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Get a NEW tinted windshield.

PackardV8
07-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Sell them both to local CASOs and put the money toward a new tinted windshield.

stude1964
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
I love tinted glass in Studes. When I redid my '64 Cruiser in original Moonlight Silver I found the rest of the tinted glass to go all around. The tinted glass really set it off. I did the same on my '64 SR wagon which is painted Laguna Blue as well as my '64 Daytona HT,a Midnight Black car. I'm planning on doing the same on my Astra White GT and Midnight Black '64 conv. You might be better off with NEW glass as apposed to used/pitted glass. I have one in my beater with some pitting and driving at night is sometimes difficult.
Rob in PA.

StudeRich
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I see no problem at all having only a Tinted W/S, it is appropriate since most Studes. after 1958 that even HAD tinted Glass at all, (very rare) had the Windshield ONLY tinted, looks fine.

However I agree with Rob, if you get lucky and get a Car with, or have means ($) to change it, Full Tint is great and should be kept.

In Hammond's situation; on a nice Car, I would definitely go with a New Tinted W/S.

StudeRich
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I see no problem at all having only a Tinted W/S, it is appropriate since most Studes. especially after 1958 that even HAD tinted Glass at all, (very rare) had the Windshield ONLY tinted, looks fine.

However I agree with Rob, if you get lucky and get a Car with, or have means ($) to change it, Full Tint is great and should be kept.

In HammondA100 (Ches') situation; on a nice restored Car, I would definitely go with a New Tinted W/S.

HammondA100
07-13-2013, 01:41 AM
I didn't realize all the vendors selling glass. Seems there is grey, green and clear.. I think I'll order a new one then save these other two for a future driver which may come along... For short I may just install the old one w/o sealer so it's easy to take out and the gasket can be re-used.. Well, we'll see how quick the shipping is to my business./
Thanks!

57pack
07-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Just a note...
My 1965 Wagonaire was ordered with a tinted windshield only. All the rest are clear.

rockne10
07-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Swiftster and PackardV8 have the best advice.
I have been there, done that; will not regret it; and..., there's a caso somewhere who got a decent windshield for $50.

stude dude
07-14-2013, 04:03 AM
There is nothing better than a new windshield, regardless of tint. And they are not particularly expensive and hard to change later.

Chris.