Operation Studebaker T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Studebaker T

OK folk's, I'll start with the motor as that is all I have in the shed as we speak. I am picking up the rest tomorrow. I have always had a fascination with odd-ball engines and would rather use something different in a build than what is the norm. I ride and now race old Panther motorcycles, something which isn't normal in the bike world and I'm also building a 1958 Ford Anglia pickup hotrod fitted with a 1.8 turbo diesel to use as my daily driver... anyway back to the story...
    I picked up the motor off ebay reasonably cheap with the intention of fitting it in my 1930's English Ford speedster project until I realised a/ it would be far too powerful for the rear axle and b/ the wheelbase of the Ford is only 90 inches so I would end up sitting over the back axle...
    A good mate of mine then came to the rescue with the offer of the T and A part's, now I have alway's been a little partial to a little T & A so a plan was hatched...
    Here is the motor as found....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130330 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1739938Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130331 (Small).JPG
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1739939Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130332 (Small).JPG
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1739940

as you can see it needs a little love.... and be put back where it belongs.. hauling my T around the street's....

Looks to be out of maybe a early R series truck
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Post the engines serial #

It will be found on a flat area on the engines Distributor (left) side, upper left hand corner.
      If it starts with an R it's a Stude truck engine. Following numbers will place the year and size. 169.9 or the 245.
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

dual breathers on a little 170. never seen that, but I guess if you had enough blowby, you might need them?
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Its definitely a 169 not a 245 question is is it out of a M series or an R series ?
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

This sounds like a factory replacement engine from the early 1950s. They came with two oil filler holes with plugs in them. The installer was instructed to install the filler tube in front if the engine was going into a Champion, or in the back if going into a 2R truck. You may not find any number stamped on the 1/2" X 2" pad at top, front corner, left side of block.
            I can see enough of the cylinder head number that I think it must be 199697 which was used through the 1940s.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

all the numbers I have found so far are..
              engine 367042 and cast into the block are 518448-5 and B-2 19 I will have a closer look on Sunday when I'm up there with my T parts..

Comment

A Champion in a 1500# speedster is the best use I can think of. However, it is a requirement you fabricate a tube exhaust header down the side.

Also gotta have a three-carb tube intake manifold, like the '53 'Vette. My engine machinist occasionally gets old marine engines with those carbs and three of the Carter YH sidedrafts would look sooooo cool on a Champon.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Here's the pictures of the Champion six in a Corvette that I mentioned on your Stovehuggers post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OctCorvetteChampion6.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1682848 Click image for larger version

Name:	Octcorvettechampion.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1682849
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

cool guy's.. love that number 37 racer, and yes a tube exhaust pipe is on the cards for the T, going to run it just under the door and have a removable baffle....

Comment

Working...
                    X