PDA

View Full Version : Avanti front turn signal irregularity

sbca96
03-06-2006, 06:08 AM
OK, so I have had my Avanti for over 12 years, and the other night
my friend looks at it and says, "one of your turn signals is bigger".
Sure enough, one of my turn signals IS bigger! The drivers side
turn signal is larger then the passenger side.

Drivers is 6 3/8 inches tall
Passenger is 5 5/8 inches tall

Drivers has on the lense "64 STU-1" top and "SAE DP 64 (S)" bottom
Passengers has "63 RQ DP" top and "SAE DP 62" bottom

What gives?? I am assuming that in 64 they increased the side of
the turn signals? I knew that the fender had been damaged and it
was repaired, but I guess they used a 64 fender! Good thing they
didnt decide to use one square headlight and one round also!!

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti (http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/63avanti.jpg), 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.

sbca96
03-19-2006, 07:18 AM
bump

N8N
03-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but here is what I can tell from the parts book.

- the whole assembly changed, apparently at serial number 4892 - including lenses, housing, socket, the whole nine yards.

- the earlier assembly had an outer and an inner lens. The later assembly had only one lens. Looking at the picture it appears that the later housing is metal, as there's a ground wire to it. I can't tell about the earlier one as the socket is a separate piece from the housing.

- both types of assemblies were available with either clear or amber lenses, so that doesn't tell you anything. With the earlier assembly, if it had an amber lens, it's the inner one that would have been amber.

Hope this helps somewhat... unfortunately I can't get you any dimensions on these parts. However, if I had to guess, I would say that you're probably right that your car originally came with the early style signals and that a late housing was used in when the repair was done, necessitating the later style lens.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

sbca96
03-19-2006, 06:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N
However, if I had to guess, I would say that you're probably right that your car originally came with the early style signals and that a late housing was used in when the repair was done, necessitating the later style lens.

Dagnabbit!!!! Weal what der heck um I serpostah do nahwah!?

I guess I need to buy another later one (if thats the bigger one) and
then modify the smaller side to fit it?? Anyone else have an Avanti
they they can go out and measure? Maybe someone with a 64 or a later
Avanti II? I asked my dad to check his 69 Avanti, but its been snow,
snow, SNOW, back there in Michigan!

Tom

Dwain G.
03-19-2006, 07:09 PM
My '63 has the 5 5/8". This was covered in detail in an issue of the Avanti Magazine a few years ago. I do not have an index to be able to find the article. I don't think the change occured at the same time as the 'square' headlights even though that would seem logical. To complicate it further, there are long and short, inner and outer, amber and clear versions.

Dwain G.

N8N
03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Tom,

do you have a parts book? I am thinking the best thing to do would be to take both turn signal housings apart with the parts book in hand and hopefully you will be able to figure out exactly what you have, and a plan of attack from there.

If you *don't* have a parts book, I would strongly recommend getting one - they are so useful when trying to figure out what interchanges and what doesn't. But if you just want the pages pertinent to your immediate problem drop me an email and I will see if I can scan them for you...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

sbca96
03-19-2006, 09:48 PM
do you have a parts book?

You know ... I dont know if I do! I might. Most of my Studebaker
stuff went into storage after I strayed from Studeville. This whole
brake/Cobra wheel thing has got me fired up, but at the same time it
might be the thing that makes me "stray" again.[V]

I need to look through my stuff. Does anyone make a front turn assy
that uses LEDs instead? Like a reman one? I was looking into those
for the rear too. Also different headlights. A number of Mustang
guys are using "tri-bars". I also found a place that makes a light
assembly that uses a "halo" / "angel eye" BMW inspired piece. Since
the Avanti is so European looking, it seems like a no-brainer swap.

Tom

N8N
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
For headlights, if you're actually going to DRIVE the car, I can't recommend enough the Cibie "E-code" reflectors. They use a standard H4 halogen bulb and will plug into the stock wiring, although I'd recommend making a custom relay harness and taking power directly from the back of the alternator. They don't look particularly unique, but they do light up the night! I am running them on my ex-daily driver Porsche and the difference between the stock sealed beams and the E-codes with relays was amazing. I'm spoiled now, if I ever sell that car the headlights will be staying with me. I may just buy another pair for my '55 coupe. You can get the E-codes with "city lights" which would be your parking lights instead of the "dim" filament of your turn signals. Not quite the "angel eyes" look that you are describing, but something different. Only one gotcha - they aren't technically legal in most states except for motorcycle use. But I haven't been pulled over yet and cops around here are just panting for an excuse to get you for an equipment violation... (which reminds me, I still need to fix the tag light on the Porsche...)

As for the LED turn signals, I don't know that anyone makes them, but I think it's Bob Ziff that sells the ones for the taillights. Might want to get in touch with him and see if he's working on anything. I think I posted before, I tried some of the LED 1157 style bulbs from superbrightleds.com and ended up putting my old 1034s back in, they were actually brighter. So if you really want LED turn signals I would recommend using an array of LEDs in a PC board rather than trying to go for a drop in replacement for a bulb.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

sbca96
03-19-2006, 10:34 PM
So if you really want LED turn signals I would recommend using an array of LEDs in a PC board rather than trying to go for a drop in replacement for a bulb.

Cool .. thanks for the input.

Tom

sbca96
09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
These look neat. I think that they will work on an Avanti, especially
behind the plastic/glass lens. Very euro :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-81-CHEVY-CAMARO-HALO-DIAMOND-HEADLIGHTS-7X6R-78-79_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ008QQitemZ180031337276QQtcZphoto

Just wish I could find them locally, so I can examine in person!!

Tom

Mike
09-28-2006, 07:49 PM
The best headlights I've used were the old Cibie "Z Beams", with high power bulbs. These are reproductions, I'd like to check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIBIE-STYLE-HEADLAMP-CONVERSION-TRIUMPH-TR3-TR4-TR250_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34207QQihZ015QQitemZ250033569262QQrdZ1 .
Mike M.

sbca96
09-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I was looking for something with the street lights or halo option.:D

Tom

Mike
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
I planned to use high intensity quartz halogen tail light bulbs in my Avanti. I replaced the old sockets, and grounded them to the rearmost body bolts, in the back corners of the trunk. The lights are very bright, with the stock bulbs. The problem was the stock ground wiring.
Because I wanted more lens area to the rear, I converted the backup lights, in the trunk lid, to tail lights. I used sockets and harness from a trailer light set, and Avanti II lenses. New wires go all the way to the switches. There are no splices or connectors except for the molded 4 pin connector on the trailer harness, under the dash. The sockets screw directly to the nut plates salvaged from the backup sockets. The whole conversion looks good and works great.
Mike M.