Avanti Headliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Avanti Headliner

I'm looking for advice on installing a headliner for my '63 Avanti. I've tried installing it two different times only to have it not take. I used spray adhesive the first time, then contact cement. Both times I used a wooden jig to hold it securely in place while the glue cured.
    Thanks
    -Shaun
    Attached Files

3M Super trim adhesive in the spray can. Remove all the junk that didn't hold first. The GENERAL trim adhesive will NOT work, it MUST say SUPER on the can.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      3M Super trim adhesive in the spray can. Remove all the junk that didn't hold first. The GENERAL trim adhesive will NOT work, it MUST say SUPER on the can.
      Thanks for the tip. On my way after this post to pick up a can. Any advice as to removing the old glue?

Thanks
      -Shaun

Comment

lacquer thinner, or GM adhesive remover.....if you can find it. Don't saturate the cardboard, or you may get bleed through.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Has anyone used the Headliner set available from Myers that claims it just sort pops into place no adhesive needed? Mike
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I put one in, took out the roll bar cover and some of the trim above the windows. There was some minor trimming but it looked good when finished.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
              I put one in, took out the roll bar cover and some of the trim above the windows. There was some minor trimming but it looked good when finished.
              Rob
              Did you have to use glues or adhesive Rob?
              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

No, it is made of thin fiberglass and is fairly ridgid but flexible. It was held up by tension.
                Rob

Comment

I might be a little late with this but an easy way to install and gain some sound deadening and keep the interior a little cooler in the sun is to attach some heat shield/sound deadener like you would put under the carpet. I used the cheap fiber and metallic combo. I laid the headliner on top of a trash can so it took a curve similar to the curve in the roof then glued the insulation on fiber down. Once it was dry I glued the headliner up. The 3M super stuff adheres very well to the insulation and with the curve pre bent into the headliner there was no sag once it was up.

BTW, insulating the interior of the Avanti everywhere possible makes the car surprisingly livable. Conversation at speed is possible as is listening to the radio at less than full volume and interior heat is reduced drastically.

ErnieR

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. $60.00 spent on adhesives and removers, I still have had no luck with this dang headliner. The one I've been trying to install is fiberglass and quite a bit heavier then the original. I picked it up a few years back from Studebaker Inter. I'll give Meyers a call tomorrow and about their new headliner.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I never really considered the roof.

Comment

"BTW, insulating the interior of the Avanti everywhere possible makes the car surprisingly livable. Conversation at speed is possible as is listening to the radio at less than full volume and interior heat is reduced drastically."

BigE, That's exactly what I did on my 63, I used Fat Mat from the lip of the windshield to the top of the back seat, and on the roof. Then doubled it up on the floor under the seats, makes a world of difference!
                        Fat Mat is the same as Dynomat, but a lot cheaper.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                        X