What is STUDEBAKER??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is STUDEBAKER??????

Called Dover Downs last eveninig to reserve our rooms for next year. After we were all finished the young lady said: "may I ask you a question, what is STUDEBAKER"???? Oh boy!
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

I got a call from the Museum a couple of years ago and my receptionist took the call. She couldn't say "Studebaker". let alone write it on a message sheet. I forgave her, but now she knows
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Did you have to reinvent the 1852 Wagon Wheel to get her to understand?

I think she will get quite an "Awakening" if she is still there when the Meet happens!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hahaha. Not to be too pretentious here, but as you know one of our jobs is to educate the (esp. younger) public. We have all had the questions/comments like: Didn't they have Ford (or Chevy) engines; I thought a Studebaker was a Ford model; Is that a rear engine car? That's a foreign car, right?, etc. etc. I bet that all of us have a 30-second history of Studebaker spiel that we have spouted many times!

Comment

This is the perfect reason for us to get our Studes out on the road to show the public what Studebakers are. Most young people don't have a clue about Studebakers. I love giving folks a little history lesson when I'm at a car show. Most people really appreciate seeing our cars. Our Long Island Region recently had a successful Reunion and Orphan Car Show. It was open and free to the public. Many visitors really liked seeing the variety of cars that are no longer in business in attendance. Even the orphan car owners appreciated the fact that there were no Chevies or Fords there.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I ran into a guy who had no idea what a Studebaker is recently. I was over at one of my friends places, he has a slightly older sister who had a date that night. When he showed up, he was driving a foreign car and overheard my friend and I discussing Studebakers. He inquired what that was... And got an earful. I think showing him a photo of my car might have scared him a little, too far out of his "norm"...
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Let me clarify, the young lady did not ask what A STUDEBAKER was, but what IS STUDEBAKER? She had no idea it was a car, or club for that matter.
              All she knew was there is a STUDEBAKER Convention scheduled.
              Goes to show what we are dealing with as far as the younger generation goes. That's ok, my 28 year old Son-in-Law blew off going for sandwiches and ice cream with our grandbabies, our daughter and the wife and I tonight because he wanted to go pick-up his new video game he had on order???? What the ....?
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I have been to a few car shows where the people taking registration didn't know what a Studebaker was. Can't blame the young people , It isn't in the history books and they aren't on every corner or car lot.
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                  I have been to a few car shows where the people taking registration didn't know what a Studebaker was. Can't blame the young people , It isn't in the history books and they aren't on every corner or car lot.
                  When I was in school and took U.S. History I thought it was a little odd that there was basically no mention of Studebaker. Keep in mind, I went to a SOUTH BEND school! There were several pages about Henry Ford, which I found to be inaccurate in some details. In fact the only mention of Studebaker was that "Studebaker was an Indiana auto maker that went out of business in 1963." Well, we all know that's wrong. And the only reason that was in there was because it was an Indiana issued text book! Never mind that Studebaker deuce and a half's basically built the Alaskan highway, Studebaker supplied thousands of engines for B-17 bombers which were vital to the war effort, and made Weasels that were used on D-Day!! WHERE IS THIS INFORMATION?!?!?! I loved history class, but I felt that the finer details of a lot of things were left out, and that's how history gets forgotten. I could go on about this, but it would turn into an entirely different conversation.
                  That's my rant for the evening and I'm stickin' to it.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    I ran into a guy who had no idea what a Studebaker is recently. I was over at one of my friends places, he has a slightly older sister who had a date that night. When he showed up, he was driving a foreign car and overheard my friend and I discussing Studebakers. He inquired what that was... And got an earful. I think showing him a photo of my car might have scared him a little, too far out of his "norm"...
                    Was he from out of town? I can't believe that a guy from South Bend wouldn't at least have a vague idea of Studebaker.

A lot of my stoplight conversations (probably 60% or more) involve people asking me who made Studebakers. I usually tell them Studebaker did, and tell them to Google it before the light changes.
                    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Chris, History Channel just ran a segment from "WWII from Space" which really credited Studebaker trucks with turning the tide on the Russian front and possibly winning the war. Stalin could hook a huge wheeled cannon to the back of them and move all over the battle field knocking out tanks, aircraft, infantry...before the Nazis knew they were there. I thought it overdue and very appropriate. There is hope.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I had the Champ in at least 15 parades and events last year sporting a 4 x 8 foot Romney sign in the bed. I would venture to guess that well North of 10,000 pictures were taken of it and I doubt they were all because of the sign in the back. Even after I added an "Authorized Studebaker Service" decal on the door the "What year DeSoto" questions kept coming. The restore job including driveway paint job I did on the Champ was amateur to the point that I'm almost embarrassed by the Ah's and compliments... but I'll keep accepting them until the Speedster is done.

The real beauty of a Studebaker is that they are built to be even after 50 or 60 years of age. And, because parts are available I'm far more inclined to drive the Champ than the '62 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible that its almost impossible to find parts for... The Ford has to go.

Comment

Jim
                          I sub at the local vo-tech school . I've taken my cars to the Auto Tech as well as the Auto Collision classes. I've had the blessing of the instructors to give the kids a little history of the Studes. The kids get an idea of what was new in '64- disc brakes,sliding roof,vanity,padded dash,SEAT BELTS,A/C,etc,etc. They are really excited as I allow them to sit in the cars as they take pics on their cellphones! I even had kids who wanted to sit in the 3rd seat of the SR wagon! One of the senior groups even worked on my '81 Avanti. They didn't know what it was but my Dad & I gave them plenty of info. The kids were very proud of their work as well as the car when they were done. I see some of the kids at cruise nights & shows-they're excited to tell their buds about the cars. I still have a few to show them next year when I go in! Rob in PA.

Comment

In this afternoon's mail I received a thank you from the young guy that got my scholarship this year. He mentioned that he learned a lot about Studebaker. That was the idea behind my requirement that everyone that applies for the scholarship has to write something about Studebaker motor vehicles.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What is Studebaker??... Well there was Ron Studebaker, John Studebaker and Gary Studebaker all college friends.... And then there was Pam Studebaker who I dated for a while in college. And, I was driving a '55 Studebaker President my first year in college and a '62 Studebaker Daytona my second year in college. And, my freshman roommate was from South Bend. What? you say there are people who have never heard of Studebaker ??!!

Comment

Working...
                              X