PDA

View Full Version : Unique '53 custom on eBay

ddub
07-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Different strokes for different folks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Commander-2-door-HT-1953-studebaker-customized-/281130425194?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4174addb6a&vxp=mtr

PackardV8
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Too true. Recently I met a fellow SDCer who owns an extreme early '50s Stude custom; the kind seen at early '60s custom car shows. He lamented what a good car it was and that he hadn't been able to sell it after two years of trying.

A restored original Stude is what it is; Lowey's professional designer team's attempt at "most advanced yet acceptable" styling. They were trying to sell cars in a niche market. A custom is one amateur attempt at a unique personal statement. There might not be one other person in the world who sees and agrees with that vision.

jack vines

Flashback
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
A custom car is a lot like a custom home, but even worse. The "custom" look is up to the persom building. I have seen customs for sale that I would own if I could afford them. Then I have seen customs that are like this one (to me) . To me this is a ruined 53 Studebaker. I am sure others see it differently. The quality of this build may be excellent, BUT, he has to find someone that it appeals to. There is someone out there that it does appeal to, I am sure. Any drastic changes to a 53 coupe is ( to steal a word Jack has used) an "attempt" to make the design better. Everyone has different taste. I know my 53 only appeals to a few, but I will also know that when I start to sell it.

tony58
07-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Loved the car until I saw the Cadillac Tail fins.Hard to believe someone would do that.I'm looking for a Studebaker hot rod,won't be that one...

paintim613
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
And I thought ours was pretty radical. Even though our exterior was changed quite a bit our car is still mostly Studebaker including the drive train.

DEEPNHOCK
07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Reminds me of a big game African safari hunter...showing off his prized kill pic's.
I saw it, and wondered "I never knew such an animal could exist in the wild"...

Bob Andrews
07-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Looks like a lot of quality work in that. Still, personally, I would not want it either. Well, I might, but it would have to be truly a steal.

I'm guessing the seller is on a collision course with getting insulted by where the bidding ends, ten to twenty percent of the build cost.

I don't know how many times I've seen people spend the money to build their vision, then when it's time to sell for whatever reason, are devastated to find out that nobody else thinks their vision was worth anything near what they did. It doesn't help when you see TV shows with high-end Foose-types that seem to build their ideas and make a fortune doing so from rich buyers clamoring to write 6-figure checks for whatever they build. Doesn't work that way for the rest of us.

StudeDave57
07-08-2013, 02:30 PM
It might be the SoCal heat talkin',
but I almost like those fins on that car!!!

As for that roofline-- not so much. :ohmy:

JimC
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
It's not awful. I think the paint color is the most disappointing. A dark purple metallic, or deep blue, or really anything other than resale red. It's a common car color, and this is not a common car. Tail light situation isn't my taste either. Also, with all the money spent, why put a junkyard steering wheel in the thing? Get a custom wheel. They should have put power windows on the doors, instead of extending the handle out which will no doubt drive a bigger driver such as myself nuts at it's right where your knee would like to be.

In general though, it's not awful.

Packard8
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Looks like first rate workmanship, but to me, it's sort of like painting a first class mustache on the Mona Lisa. :eek:

The original 1953 Loewy C/K design was the purest, and I've yet to see an improvement on it, including the geegaws Studebaker kept tacking on over the years. The only exception was the 1956 Sky Hawk, I'd love to have one of those (with a 53-54 trunk lid).

Bob Andrews
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
In my business, I semi-regularly get contacted by people looking to sell a project amidship because they ran out of money, interest, or health. It is a common thing to have to hurt somebody with the reality that I cannot take over a customized project hoping to sell or finish and sell and not lose my shirt, unless it's pennies on the dollar.

At least with a stock, original-type restoration, you can somewhat project what it would be worth finished, and back up to an offer from there. Most of the time, the only way to buy is to plan to part it out.

Of course, there's always the guy that has $35K into a car that's 75% finished that would sell finished for $15K. But that's another topic.

ddub
07-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Reminds me of a big game African safari hunter...showing off his prized kill pic's.
I saw it, and wondered "I never knew such an animal could exist in the wild"...

With the Caddy tail fins, this car puts me in mind of a Jackalope.

Jerry Forrester
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I nearly, sorta like the Olds dash.

53commander
07-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Another classic ruined imo.

jimmijim8
07-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Studillac. Jerry, seems as though you have your ducks in a row. jimmijim

Dick Steinkamp
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM

I like the Olds dash also. Adapting a completely different, but stock dash to a custom is pretty nifty. I've seen 32 Fords with 40 Ford dashes. Same idea and it also works. The rest...not so much, although the tail lights remind me somewhat of the ones on my Speedster Kustom...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Speedster%20Kustom/e2ed.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Speedster%20Kustom/3858.jpg

The wrap around rear window of the early C/K's is an exceptional design feature (IMHO). Tough to throw that away.

Jerry,
I'm glad to see you are using a TPI on your latest project. I've always thought that is one of the best looking induction systems ever made. In addition, you get all the driveability features of a modern FI system.

GThawkwind
07-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Wow that was a nice car Dick! The taillight treatment on your car was way more subdued and I would actually consider tail lights like yours if I had the talent. But my favorite part of your custom is the side scoops, one of my favorite things about the early C/Ks, and it looks good when made more prominent.

Corvanti
07-08-2013, 08:11 PM
like others have said, it looks like a quality build. i've seen quite a few C/K customs gracing the auction pages of ebay that appeared much worse!

still, it's not one i'd want in my 'cave.:)

Packard8
07-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I like the Olds dash also. Adapting a completely different, but stock dash to a custom is pretty nifty. I've seen 32 Fords with 40 Ford dashes. Same idea and it also works. The rest...not so much, although the tail lights remind me somewhat of the ones on my Speedster Kustom...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Speedster%20Kustom/e2ed.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Speedster%20Kustom/3858.jpg

The wrap around rear window of the early C/K's is an exceptional design feature (IMHO). Tough to throw that away.

Jerry,
I'm glad to see you are using a TPI on your latest project. I've always thought that is one of the best looking induction systems ever made. In addition, you get all the driveability features of a modern FI system.

'56-'57 Continental Mark tail lights?

kurtruk
07-08-2013, 10:21 PM

An "Olds" style dash was proposed on the '53 prototypes. Photo on page 141 of Asa Hall's book The Studebaker Century.

GThawkwind
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
To me, the problem with this build is simple.
The big thing about the C/K cars when they debuted was how much more modern they looked than all other american cars of the day. He redid the rear end of this car to make it look less modern and more like every other car of the day, especially in removing the wrap around back light.
But up front he made it appear more modern. These two looks really clash, you can even see it in the interior, with the very cool but quite dated olds dash, clashing with the modern buckets and controls. The 53 was already the perfect blend of classic yet modern, a look that'll never be dated, much like the later Avanti. I think this car while it is nice goes to far in both directions.
I think the same basic build done with a stock '55 front clip would have jived much better.
To me it's almost sad to see a car like this for sale, it had to have been someone's vision, I wonder why he would sell it.......

evilhawk
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I think the roof line of the C/K cars is what make them so attractive, so altering it only makes it look... well.... goofy. Also, the tail fins look way off on this car. I like the dash, but the rest of the interior is blah. The 350 makes the car uninteresting under the hood as well. I would have to give this car 1 star out of 5 :)

cultural infidel
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
the fins and the wheels ruin the car for me. Wheels look cheap and the fins dont fit the car. just my $0.02 of course.

JimC
07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Wheels look cheap and the fins dont fit the car. just my $0.02 of course.
That helped me put words to the feeling I had about this car. It's like they stopped at "close enough". It's not a complete custom from the ground up. They re-purposed parts from salvage cars, and used cheap parts in places. I can sorta see the direction they were moving, and like I said, it wasn't awful. But it's like a marathon that someone stops running just a couple miles from the finish line. If you're going to go as far as you have, you may as well do it up right.

It kinda makes me feel like the money well dried up, and the car was finished strictly in hopes of being able to flip it.

Jerry Forrester
07-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Jerry,
Thanks Dick. I agree with your thoughts on the TPI.
Plus, they are now almost old enough to deemed 'retro'.

bob40
07-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Jerry,you IS retro.;)

Jerry Forrester
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Why thank you Bob. I think.
Here I am, standing to the left of you.