Long day on the Speedster Left Control Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long day on the Speedster Left Control Arms

Between bolts that hadn't turned decades, caked mud and ancient grease, and a design like those Chinese Nail puzzles I spent the entire day removing the left control arms. Tonight all parts are off, needle scaled and in the electrolysis rust removal tank. Next task.... repeat on removal of right control arms then find a friend with a press to insert new bushings.

This disassemble part of the project is getting old. I can hardly wait to move on to the prime, paint and put it back together stage. Get the frame to paint and body to prime and I can focus on drive train and steering.

Please remember that every progress post you write in frustration is still an inspiration to everyone else.
    Some BTDT. (been there, done that)
    Others NTBWB. (not there, but will be)

Most important thing is that you did it. SA-LUTE!
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Yes, I remember this well First the crud, then the grease, then the de-grease... but it feels so good when you're done! Keep your chin up!

Oh, and you don't need a hydraulic press to put in the new bushings. You just need a ball-joint installation tool from Harbor Freight. Easy peasy!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks.. you made my day. They think about giving me stock every time I go into HF I'm in there so often.

I took no pictures as I assumed it would be a no-brainer sub-project. Think I'll take pics and do a youtube on the right Control Arm as well as on reassembly. Perhaps it will save the next guy time and fingers.

Comment

FWIW, I took a lot of photos when I did mine. If it helps you any, here's the series on my blog.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
            Thanks.. you made my day. They think about giving me stock every time I go into HF I'm in there so often.

I took no pictures as I assumed it would be a no-brainer sub-project. Think I'll take pics and do a youtube on the right Control Arm as well as on reassembly. Perhaps it will save the next guy time and fingers.
            Just be sure you put the upper control arm bolt holes in the correct configuration when you put it back on.

A lot of us have been in the same boat, but speaking for myself, every time a messy job gets done I know I'm one step closer to the end. And everything just looks so much better with fresh chassis black applied and installed than the cr@ppy way it looked before.

Bob

Comment

Just stumbled on your windshield bit. We should be posting all these to Bob Johnstone's site.

Comment

Studeblogger is on my site... Front page, middle column.. adjacent to the Bonneville stuff
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                X