• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality TV Show - Bulletnose Ccab Project

You watch... You decide...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Ought to be interesting. Not impressed with the truck as they got it. The grill and baby moons,and a paint job that has the dark color on top makes a vehicle look top heavy IMO.

Comment

Considering the quality rep that Fantomworks has, I'm looking forward to see how they handle the Bullet nose. If this show doesn't go all Coddington/American Hot rod it has a lot of promise. Added a very nice split-window removable coupe top to a 63 vette vert last week.

It's already in the record list on the DVR.

Bob

Comment

Should have started with a ElCamino............
        .LOL
        Jack White
        Charlotte,NC
        North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Jack, do you have details of your Elcamino conversion to a Studemino online somewhere?
          Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
            Jack, do you have details of your Elcamino conversion to a Studemino online somewhere?
            Jack White
            Charlotte,NC
            North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

$124,700 later................(and still not painted)

http://velocity.discovery.com/tv-shows/fantomworks/videos/studebaker-revealed.htm

(I had hoped for more that what they did on the nose)
              Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting, but way more than I would be willing to pay for it. I watched the show where they restored a 64 Impala convertible and the bill was $97,000. It is my opinion that they either over build, their labor efficiency is poor or rates are super high. If that Impala was to come across the auction block at Mecum or Barrett-Jackson I would expect the ceiling to be around $75k at best. Same with this truck, given their rates I expect the finished truck bill will be North of $160k which is way more than the truck is worth. I understand having something that you want that is special, but there are limits. Unless you just have money to throw around. JMO.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  $124,700 later................(and still not painted)

http://velocity.discovery.com/tv-shows/fantomworks/videos/studebaker-revealed.htm

(I had hoped for more that what they did on the nose)
                  Jeff
                  Same here. I'm disappointed with the grille- looks sort of '53 Fordish.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Interesting, but I guess I was hoping they would put more of the car's center section into the truck. The tailgate is cool and the interior looks nice, but man, that guy is getting ripped off at that price. If I wanted something no one else had, with sort of a "what if" twist, I would rather have something like this...

sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Regal Deluxe Trim
                    Automatic transmission
                    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I also wondered what they were going to do to incorporate the bullet nose.

I agree with the previous posters that there's something lacking in the execution. However, I paused the front shot and asked myself "How would you make it look better?"

I must admit, I can't see how much improvement is possible without a complete rebuild of the front end to remove the character of the truck. That round bullet in the center of the grill just clashes with the other line of the vehicle. I know it has two round headlights but they fit because we are used to them in any design but that addition in the center of the grill is just out of place.

Bob

Comment

To each their own... I kinda like it... for what it is, a custom. I wish I had the fabrication skills that young lad has. I can't even straighten out a dent with the help of Bondo. I am throroughly impressed with someone that work metal like that.

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                          Interesting, but I guess I was hoping they would put more of the car's center section into the truck. The tailgate is cool and the interior looks nice, but man, that guy is getting ripped off at that price. If I wanted something no one else had, with sort of a "what if" twist, I would rather have something like this...

Any more info on this build? Steve
                          sigpic

Comment

I saw the episode last week where they presented the bullet nose idea to the owner. So far, they've done a lot of nice work. And as a change, the show doesn't look too scripted...and none of the manufactured drama that made Boyd Coddington and the OCC crew look like asses.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think their work was tasteful and professional. I might not go for some of the mods they put into the truck myself, but nothing they did was out of line, or wrecked the truck to where it's not a functional vehicle. I noticed that there were a few imperfections in the steel around the tailgate lettering, but those were probably due to the lettering being from the 60 year old truck. Nothing a skim coat before painting won't cure.
                              Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Interesting, but way more than I would be willing to pay for it. I watched the show where they restored a 64 Impala convertible and the bill was $97,000. It is my opinion that they either over build, their labor efficiency is poor or rates are super high. If that Impala was to come across the auction block at Mecum or Barrett-Jackson I would expect the ceiling to be around $75k at best. Same with this truck, given their rates I expect the finished truck bill will be North of $160k which is way more than the truck is worth. I understand having something that you want that is special, but there are limits. Unless you just have money to throw around. JMO.
                              It's a professional shop. This isn't all that unusual. Our local Studebaker Drivers Club chapter recently toured a local restoration shop that's nationally known. The owner has photos on his wall with Jay Leno and other celebrity car buffs. Many of his projects are in the 6-figure range. And his shop doesn't even do the body work and fabricating themselves.

I used to produce videos. When I started in that industry, $500 would get you a two hour tape. When I left, $5,000 wouldn't get you 20 minutes. I had friends making 6 figures for a 30 second spot. When you're good at something, people pay a premium for it.
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X