It runs....BUT...it runs rough and won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: It runs....BUT...it runs rough and won't idle

The saga of my 60 Hawk rebuild continues. Quick recap: rebuilt 63 full flow; edelbrock 1403 carb; Mallory Unilite distr (T-bow); Solo electric fuel pump w/regulator and gauge reading 6 psi.

It now starts up readily but will not idle. Need to have it at least 1000+ rpm to keep it running. Takes throttle smoothy and runs pretty nice at higher rpms.

I think I have the timing pretty close but it doesn't change much when rotating the distributor so I really don't know where I'm at there (keeping in mind that I am in the car with my foot on the gas keeping it running while my bro-in-law plays with the distributor).

I've tried playing with the idle mixture screws but as it cannot run at idle they really won't change anything until I can get the thing to run at 600 rpm (per edelbrock manual). Right now I've set the idle mixture screws at 1-1/2 turns out.

BTW, I have the vacuum advance on the distr plugged as is the carb port. I have also plugged the pcv port on the carb, removed the PCV valve.

So, what would you recommend for ACTIONS and IN WHAT ORDER that might help me get this sorted out logically and effectively?
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Absolute pure guess here on my part. If you have the timing and ignition parts working close as you suggest...I am wondering if your float is adjusted too low to allow sufficient fuel reserve in the carburetor. My thinking is that the fuel is not being sucked into the venturi through the idle circuit at low idle air flow. Again...absolute guess that could have some of the experts on the forum embarrassing me with a correction (again!).
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What coil are you using? I had a similar problem, had a coil with internal resistor - forgot about the pink resistor wire.

Comment

Check for an air leak.....sounds like a vacuum problem. Drop a chunk of dry ice down the oil filler tube, and tape off the breathers.......check for leaks around the carb, manifold, and other areas. A poor mans version of the smoke tests they charge $$$ for. Wont harm a thing, and there is no dangerous open propane.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
          What coil are you using? I had a similar problem, had a coil with internal resistor - forgot about the pink resistor wire.
          Coil is a Pertronix Flamethrower. Pink resistance wire is in use.
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Absolute pure guess here on my part. If you have the timing and ignition parts working close as you suggest...I am wondering if your float is adjusted too low to allow sufficient fuel reserve in the carburetor. My thinking is that the fuel is not being sucked into the venturi through the idle circuit at low idle air flow. Again...absolute guess that could have some of the experts on the forum embarrassing me with a correction (again!).
            Possibly, I guess. However, the carb came from my original motor where it worked like a charm.
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Check for an air leak.....sounds like a vacuum problem. Drop a chunk of dry ice down the oil filler tube, and tape off the breathers.......check for leaks around the carb, manifold, and other areas. A poor mans version of the smoke tests they charge $$$ for. Wont harm a thing, and there is no dangerous open propane.
              COOL! (pun intended). However, I think the only place I can buy dry ice is some 70-80 miles away where I got some about 15 years ago to pop some hail dimples out of the roof of my pickup truck.
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Might the carburetor need internal cleaning being that it hasn't been used for a few years? May be plugged up with old gasoline having turned into varnish. Just a guess.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Doesn't Pertronix recommend a full 12 volts with no resistor?
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    Might the carburetor need internal cleaning being that it hasn't been used for a few years? May be plugged up with old gasoline having turned into varnish. Just a guess.
                    I did put Sea Foam in the gas tank and removed the idle mixture screws and sprayed Sea Foam in there (and in the carb top) then blew it out after letting set for a while. No change. Any other cleaning I need to do on it?

BTW, any good tune-up guys up our way? I really don't have a lot of time to myself these days as my dad needs daily care now. It would be great for me if there was someone good who does house calls!
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Doesn't Pertronix recommend a full 12 volts with no resistor?
                      I don't know but the coil was on my other motor/distributor with a Pertronix conversion and I had no ignition problems. I'll check that out though.
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

My first thought, before reading any of the other replies, was "vacuum leak". I agree with Brad - I'll bet you're sucking air somewhere. That would explain the evening-out at higher revs.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Isn't that the same car & carb, a couple of weeks ago, you said was spewing gas out of the top ?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            Isn't that the same car & carb, a couple of weeks ago, you said was spewing gas out of the top ?
                            Yes. When I cleaned the carb after that happened, specifically when I removed the idle mixture screws and blew air through them, one appeared clogged at first but opened up after another shot of Sea Foam. Anyhoo, that appeared to solve the gas spewing.
                            sigpic
                            Bob Shaw
                            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Speaking of vacuum leaks, there was a thread a couple months ago here, about a vacuum hole being left open in the electric choke housing on some late model Edlebrocks/AFB clones. I inspected a new one, removed last year from a car I bought, and found that hole open too. The car also ran as you describe yours when I first got it, till I swapped the carb out. I'd suggest doing a search for that thread, since it also had a good pic of the hole. Then, inspect your carb and, if that hole is open, try plugging it up, and see what happens. (This is, assuming you are running an electric choke on yours.)

Comment

Working...
                              X