Hawk based Mercedes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk based Mercedes

Some years back, maybe 15 years ago, I read an article in one of the car magazines, with pictures, about a unofficial Studebaker commissioned prototype of a Hawk based cabriolet knock off of a Mercedes. It was done by some Mattel designer. When Mercedes got wind of it, Studebaker was warned to cease and desist. The cars were beautiful and as of the time of the article, still exist with the family of the deceased designer. Anyone ever see this article or hear of this story? Ever see these cars?

I think there's something 'bout something like that on "Bob's Studebaker Info" if you can find that by google.

Comment

That just sounds like it could be the very well known Studebaker SS, Studebaker Avanti powered prototype that was a similar copy of the 1929 Mercedes SSK Roadster, which became the Excalibur, not built by Studebaker.
      It also had a Studebaker frame.

Here is one of many posts here about this Car:

And another:
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=Excalibur
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No pics but here is reference to a 1954 Studebaker Cabirolet by Ghia.

http://www.oldtimer.400.pl/ghia-aigle.html

Comment

This one?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Here's the article
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              Great read (again!)...

And note the article (insert) says this car is just an individual built custom with no affiliation to Studebaker or to Mercedes Benz.
              Not saying that as a slam or anything.
              There were a lot of people involved with it's build (love to Dick Dean connection), and it is interesting to read the 'marketing' of the project.
              Showing it off in a M/B dealership, showing it to Studebaker, and then Mercedes.
              Even people that helped build it ended up at Studebaker.
              But to be clear about the OP. Studebaker and Mercedes had nothing to do with the development and support of this creation.
              They knew about it (after it was completed), but they did not commission it, or help build it (as far as I could read into it).
              Someone correct me if I am wong...
              Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes! This is the car! How beautiful to see it again! My memory was a little foggy on some of the details as I believe the original article I read was the Car Collector one from 1981. How I missed it in TW 2005 is beyond me. I have them all from the past 25 years. It could be the one I received the cover only! Thanks for the reprint. I also noticed mentioned in the article that body molds were taken. Do they still exist? Would have been nice to have used the large Packard V8 instead of the Chrysler engine. Also sad to hear the other car was destroyed in the riots. Thanks for looking this up and sharing. A very interesting read.

Comment

The Gia Stude looks a lot like a custom built bodied Ferrari of the era, or any number of other high end brands. It looks better than a Nash Healy of about the same time. Great looking car imho. The roofline is a lot like the Karmen Ghia, and the way the rear fenders roll down under the back windows.

Thanks for posting it!
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X