Whats it worth? 59 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats it worth? 59 lark

The person I sold the pink 59 to a few years ago contacted me today offering my old car back to me. Apparently it has a blown head gasket. I did the paint/body work on the car a few years ago and it was running well when it was sold, it made a trip to texas and back under its own steam. I have no idea what its value is as I've been out of this for a while and now can bring it back as a toy rather than daily transportation. Its a 59 basic Lark 2 door sedan 3 speed/overdrive with flathead 6 and hill-holder. There are a few questions in my mind that can't be addressed till the engine is cracked open.. a. is the block cracked or head warped.
    b. how long did the engine run allowing coolant/oil to mix.. meaning bearings throughout.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I wish I can help you with the car's value, but you can look it up in the "Old Cars Price Guide." Of course, if there is engine damage, you must deduct the cost of an engine rebuild. I have a '59 Lark Regal Hardtop VI and it's worth around $7000 to $8000 as it stands. It's a number 3 condition. I hope this helps.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

If it is physically still in the same condition as when you sold it, I would say it is worth what you sold it for minus the price of an engine rebuild. If you are not sure if the engine will need a rebuild or not, I would deduct half the price of a rebuild. At least this is the way I think it will be seen by the current owner.

Comment

What does a flathead Six rebuild run these days? The car is in central California and would most likely like to send it to someone reputable. Its probably gonna need synchros in the t-96 by now as a few years ago it would occasionally pop out of gear under load going down hill.

Comment

for that kind of $$$ the car should be immaculate !

Comment

You could consider dropping it at Studebakers West in Redwood City on the way to So, Calif. for analysis and possible rebuild, you have to talk to Carl about that.

That way, you get an honest opinion and very good work if needed.

Value of a '59 Lark VI Deluxe 2 Dr. Sedan, cosmetically restored with a broken Six, about $3000.00 IMHO.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would agree with most above. The only other consideration is the condition of the engine itself. I would be concerned about the block and head as well. That being said, I would also seriously think of changing to a 259 3 speed. As you are going to need engine and trans work anyway, switch over to V8 power and enjoy driving it out on the open road with a bit more confidence. The rebuild costs would be similar, and the ancillary pieces and parts needed to upgrade the brakes and springs will be nominal compared to the pep and vigor you'll experience with the V8 over the 6. With overdrive, you'll be getting about the same or better gas mileage as the 6, too.
              sals54

Comment

Do you have a picture of the pink 59 I would love to see it. My studebaker is a pink 59 just as my custom plates say...Judy joes wife
                Last edited by studebakerjoe; 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM. Reason: android tablet corrects spelling automatically does not recognize word stude

Comment

For all its worth I have used. Nada to determine values of cars. Go on their website if you want and punch in information

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerjoe View Post
                    Do you have a picture of the pink 59 I would love to see it. My studebaker is a pink 59 just as my custom plates say...Judy joes wife
                    What?! You haven't educated Android yet that Stude, Studie and Studebaker are words in its dictionary now?

Comment

I think most of us agree that NADA is at least 15-20 % too high above the reasonable values...

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkcustom View Post
                        The person I sold the pink 59 to a few years ago contacted me today offering my old car back to me. Apparently it has a blown head gasket. I did the paint/body work on the car a few years ago and it was running well when it was sold, it made a trip to texas and back under its own steam. I have no idea what its value is as I've been out of this for a while and now can bring it back as a toy rather than daily transportation. Its a 59 basic Lark 2 door sedan 3 speed/overdrive with flathead 6 and hill-holder. There are a few questions in my mind that can't be addressed till the engine is cracked open.. a. is the block cracked or head warped.
                        b. how long did the engine run allowing coolant/oil to mix.. meaning bearings throughout.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
                        Was that the coral Lark that was on C/L a few months ago? I hope not, that car was in beautiful shape.

Comment

The android has a mind of its own I swear. Wi-Fi is nice but the desktop is better. Joe plays online games on it so I have to deal with this temperamental thing. Tablet is a cheap small thing and its more touchy to type things. I type and it sometimes changes the. Word to something else. Looks like I will have to proofread things at the rate this tablet is going.Studebaker is not in its vocabulary when it comes to typing stude it sometimes automatically comes up as student.

Comment

Yes, its the Coral one that was on craigslist. It is a beautiful car and perhaps an engine swap would be in order. Thanks for the replies. My schedule these days is kinda hectic. I'm still working with her on the pricing. Depending on how bad the engine is may do the 259 swap and fom or have an aod transmission installed. If I remember right, the frame on the 59 sedan is a lighter gauge, so might not be feasible for the V8. Here is a video link for youtube where she was trying to sell the car. Cosmetically the only thing it needs is the firewall cover put back to the black as it was. All of the before pictures are my work. The door panels, weatherstrip, and firewall cover were completed by the cars current owner. This is one of the rescues from Bob Peterson's yard. www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSC9kadyPk

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned about the frame thickness...there are many rusty thicker frames with V8's that show now cracks or problems. Give me a rust free thin frame any day over a rusty thick one...

Comment

Working...
                              X