PDA

View Full Version : need 1950 Commander Carburetor

alanahasan
07-06-2013, 02:15 PM
I need a carburetor for my 1950 Land Cruiser automatic. Can anyone direct me to someone who has one for sale?

Alan Hagan
301 233 3445

4709 Queensbury Rd Riverdale MD 20737

alanahasan@gmail.com

StudeRich
07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Is yours totally not repairable or missing?
The cores to rebuild of these old Carbs. are getting very hard to find, several places (Studebaker Vendors) can do a complete high quality rebuild if you have or can get one. New ones will probably not be available.

alanahasan
07-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Mine is missing. I was getting ready to send the old one for a rebuild when I discovered it was wrong one - a Holley with a different bolt spread. Don't know what might have happened to the other - might have been discarded by my brother [I don't throw away anything].

May have to spend some money. I looked over a vendior's stock at York but didn't see it. Have to keep looking . . . or substitute.

Alan

GThawkwind
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
The carb that came with my 53 champion is still on the engine. Which is a 170 flat head. I assume your car is a six? It would need rebuilt for sure but I would sell it really cheap. It hasn't pumped any fuel since the 60's and it's been outside for like a week but I think it could be rebuilt, if your actually at all interested I could take a look at it, and you could PM me back.

StudeRich
07-06-2013, 06:03 PM
The carb that came with my 53 champion is still on the engine. Which is a 170 flat head. I assume your car is a six? It would need rebuilt for sure but I would sell it really cheap. It hasn't pumped any fuel since the 60's and it's been outside for like a week but I think it could be rebuilt, if your actually at all interested I could take a look at it, and you could PM me back.

A 1950 Commander would have a Commander 245 (Big) Six, using a totally different Carb. than a Champion.

unclemiltie
07-06-2013, 06:18 PM
In 1950 they used both Stromberg BXOV-26 and Carter WE 715 carbs on the Commander Big 6 engines. I have a WE on one of my 50 Commanders and the BXOV-26 on the other two. The WE carbs are easier to find it seems as they also used them on Champ engines. The linkage may be different for the champ engine, I never have compared them. The WE's with the style base you need were used on champs engines from something like 1947-52. They changed the base in 53 or 54 on the we carbs for champ engines.

I see them on EBAY from time to time