Studebaker engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker engine number

Attached are photos of the engine in my 64 Daytona. Does that engine number look correct? It doesn't seem to match the format. Or am I missing something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine number.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1739893Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1739894
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Yes you are missing something, that is the Casting number, they are all the same because it is raised in the mold that created the block.

Your Engine Serial Number is on the other side, the drivers side, STAMPED into the flat machined pad.
    Remember "I" 's are Ones.

It appears that your Climitizer Heating and Defrosting System is inoperative.
    The water manifold is plugged and only one heater hose coming from the core or Temp. Control Valve.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Look at the picture at the bottom of this site:
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Ok.....I got it now. Engine number is P93233. If I'm reading the tech sheet correctly that should mean a 1963 289 engine from a Lark/Hawk. Then it references "63V" Not sure what that means.
        Last edited by David Daoust; 07-06-2013, 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
        David Daoust
        Stratham, NH
        '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

The year is 1963. The 'V' means V8. The blocks were the same for 259's and 289's. The cranks had a different stroke. If it was a 63S, it's a 1963 six cylinder.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The Blocks that were stamped "V" are the base V8, 259 Engines.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

David this is my build sheet for my Daytona. If you look at the serial number, it starts with 64V. It means nothing more than it's a 1964 V8 powered car. In '64, the engine numbers were slightly different. Mine was PK328. In '64 they didn't have individual engine serial numbers (so I've been told). The replacement engine I bought was PK326 out of a '64 Cruiser. That 64V should also be on the cowl tag for the body shell (mine is 64V - J8). Yours should start be 64V - L8? I can't remember what the convertible code is.

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have tried to look up VK310 with no luck. Can anyone help. The motor is in a pickup truck chassis with a stick shift trans

THANKS A BUNCH

SMITTY BELTSVILLE MD.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Smitty!

At the bottom of the V8 Engine Number Listings it explains the 1964 Engine Numbering (Date Coding) System.

All Blocks that were ASSEMBLED each day had the same Date Code. Yours (VK310) is a Oct 10, 1963 "259" Engine for a 1964 CAR.

The Cast Date Code is at the Rear near the Dist.
                  When they were Assembled is when it was determined which Blocks were scheduled to get a 289 Crankshaft and Pistons and which would get 259 Crankshafts and Pistons and marked "V", "P" or a Truck Engine Code.

It is very important to know that Studebaker did not make the Clutch Housings and Converter Housings with centered identical Mounting to the Block, they were individually "Dial Indicated" to each Crankshaft Centerline.

Since this Truck should have a Truck Clutch Housing and Transmission to Mount it to the Truck Frame, you need to know IF it has been Dialed-In, or do so per the Studebaker Shop Manual and some "Tricks" (: "Procedures") people here use to make it easier.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 04-27-2021, 11:29 AM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

THANKS VERY MUCH Im looking for a late 289 engine It would appear this is not the one for me

Comment

Originally posted by 51r1 View Post
                      THANKS VERY MUCH Im looking for a late 289 engine It would appear this is not the one for me
                      You can "Change it" you know. At least it IS a Late Full Flow Filter Block.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well my quest rolls on-- I was told about a 64 Studebaker yesterday for sale-- Its is cheep, so i went to look at it. It was suppose to be a 289. It wasn't , it was a 259 engine with code VCD406 So my quest is still there

Comment

Well my quest rolls on-- I was told about a 64 Studebaker yesterday for sale-- Its is cheep, so i went to look at it. It was suppose to be a 289. It wasn't , it was a 259 engine with code VCD406 So my quest is still there
                          That is a Canadian 259 from a "Second Series" 1964, probably a "Import"; Assembled April 6, 1964, I believe in South Bend IN USA.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are still looking for a 289 core engine there is one in Fishersville (near Waynesboro, VA (central Virginia)). It is in a 63 Hawk for sale for $500. The car is stored inside, and should be considered a parts car because it has no title. As far as I could tell the engine was complete, although I didn't look too closely. Appeared to be a 2V carb. I can pass along the contact info if interested.
                            -Dwight

Comment

Working...
                            X