Alternative Auto floor shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Alternative Auto floor shifter

I was glancing thru a custom rodder mag at a bookstore and saw an add for American Shifter for $169. It got me thinking about a ford that's about the same as 60s Stude autos. Would a ford or aftermarket one work? Any with the same sequence of gears on the shifter indicator. I have a couple of 350 turbo shifters with cables that I could make work. May be backwards and I would have to spend time modifying to ensure it would only go into the gears I wanted when I wanted. Then wire the neutral safety switch, as my car was a manual. Anyone have any better solutions?
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

What makes the flightomatic difficult is the PNDLR shift sequence. No aftermarket shifter worlds that well. I had a Hurst Indy on my car once and it looks kind of cool, but really didn't work that great. What I did do, that worked great was convert it to a power shift floor shifter. All you need is the power shift pieces plus the appropriate shifter tower. The hardest part of all is finding a power shift shift lever and installing it in the flightomatic case. It takes a little engineering to get a safety switch set up also, because the shift pattern is different between the power shift and the flightomatic, but it can be done. I had that set up on my 64 for a long time, and it worked great.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
    X