Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The addiction. If it wasn't funny I would cry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The addiction. If it wasn't funny I would cry.

I know the feeling about just having to, "stop the bleeding". Long story, but I am into a GT Hawk about X3 what most GTs will ever be worth, and did not need the car in the first place. But am not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Comment

At the risk of being called the "C" word (CASO), I perform almost all the necessary work on my Studebaker myself. So far, I have been very satisfied with the quality of work done and I know exactly who to blame if the work isn't top notch. I dread the day when I don't have the energy to work on my car any more. Finding honest, capable mechanics who understand these cars and live nearby is getting harder all the time.

Comment

Hell, even keeping a contemporary car running right can be a nightmare if you just park it at the entrance to the "service" area. I still do most of my own work - even on our rice burners. Not necessarily CASO - just wanting to know it's done the way I'd like!
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Kelly; it is a little hard for me to understand the talk directed at your friend. There seems to be no other mention of this Daytona anywhere, mentioned only at the end?

Also, are YOU saying that you still own these 2 cool Champs one with a neat twin stick Overdrive Mod?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a similar story.

20 years ago, I took my car to the local gas station for a SAFETY TEST because one of the mechanics was familiar with Studebakers. I had door panel clips on order, (panels already made and in the trunk), all interior handles off, new transmission cover and master cylinder covers on order and some gaskets to install.

I got a call from the mechanic saying that it had passed, except one front brake shoe needed to be replaced and it would cost about $50 - $100 for everything. A day later, I took a new set of shoes to the mechanic, then left on a short family vacation. Little did I know, the mechanic also went on holiday, leaving a note for another mechanic.

The other (new) mechanic started doing everything he could think of to the car - he started attaching everything with tons of silicone glue and sealing up all "leaks" with silicone. The glue was everywhere - all over the carpet, door panels, every bolt hole screw hole and wiring hole, with door handles attached with incorrect screws. It was a disaster. I was presented with a $700 bill for the work. I was furious at first, but stayed level-headed while I tried to find out what had happened. Then I found out. The new mechanic was completely written word illiterate. Although he could speak English, he did not understand any of the notes left for him.

My heart went out to him immediately. Relunctantly, I paid most of the money and made a pact with myself that I would always follow car work and money and never go on vacation while work was being done. I cleaned up the silicone mess - it took over two days. Never again!

Comment

StudeRich. I re-read my post. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I apologize for my poor grammar. Yes I have both Champs. And I have found a local who is a member of the local Stude chapter, and on occasion takes in work to pay for his car addiction. I went over to his place and viewed an example of his work. Absolutely beautiful, a true craftsman. So there are places to take your car. And it turns out my MGB mechanic is doing good work. I stopped by and put eyes on what he was doing. He just isn't thrilled with customers. I can understand that, I have my anti-social streak too. That makes me feel better. We (the new mechanic and I) are most likely going to take the two Champs and make one truck. That means I'll have to decide what to keep, such as 5 sp/OD vs the 3 sp/OD transmission. Yes the Rambler Twin Stick is neat. I am still looking for a no fin Hawk coupe, or a GT Hawk. One that can easily be restored. The Champ truck for everyday driving, a GT when the wife wants to come along, and the MGB in tribute to a good friend. Thanks for listening to my rant. When it comes to my addiction to Studebakers no one else would remotely understand.

Comment

The '63 Daytona is still available (1K), and he has a '63 R-1 Cruiser that needs everything. He doesn't want to shoot that car in the head, but no one wants it. He has the engine (completely rebuilt), but it doesn't come with the car unless someone had to have the car and threw big money for the engine. The car itself is 1K. Write me at my home e-mail if anyone is interested. kelmbaker at msn dot com Both cars are Arizona cars.

Comment

Too bad you weren't in nys my husband could've helped you. He has a stellar reputation of being an honest tech, he's an honest man and people around this area bring their classics to him. Most people who bring their cars in to get done want no one but him.

Comment

Originally posted by kelmbaker View Post
                    The '63 Daytona is still available (1K), and he has a '63 R-1 Cruiser that needs everything. He doesn't want to shoot that car in the head, but no one wants it. He has the engine (completely rebuilt), but it doesn't come with the car unless someone had to have the car and threw big money for the engine. The car itself is 1K. Write me at my home e-mail if anyone is interested. kelmbaker at msn dot com Both cars are Arizona cars.
                    Here is the craigslist link to the cars..

Comment

Working...
                    X