PDA

View Full Version : More T-Cab steering woes

Ron Dame
09-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I FINALLY got around to installing the new reach rods on my '63 Champ 8E5. Now this is the truck that would sometimes bind up so bad you could barely turn the wheel, while other times it was fine. The stiffness was hit and miss, and usually acompanied by a dry groaning (besides me) emenating from the steering shaft collar. I found one end of one reach rod was so worn, it was about to pop out of it's socket, yet there was not too much slop in the wheel! SASCO got me all set up with two NOS reach rods and the idler arm bushing. So with fresh reach rods, verified good tie rod ends, king pin bushings and bearings only 2000 or 3000 miles old, fresh grease in everything, readjust the steering box (and full of lube), making sure the steering shaft is not in a bind, like holding the cab up, etc. I'm ready to go, right?

WRONG! I can barely turn the friggin' wheel at all now! And the groaning from the steering shaft (and me) is horrible. The steering wheel always felt "notch-y" when it would bind, and it sure does now. I reset the preload on the box again, per the manual, and it's no better. Even with the linkage disconnected, I can sometimes feel the box bind up as I spin the steering wheel. I guess the steering box is shot. Now I know these steering boxes aren't the longest lasting, so when I found a low mileage 8E box cheap a few years ago, I grabbed it and put it aside.

So, after this long missive, my question is: can you change the steering box out on an 8E without either pulling the engine or the front clip? It looks like a pretty tight fit, but at least I have a 6 and not a V8. How high must I jack the truck to clear everything and get it out and the new one in?

Ron Dame
'63 Champ

Alan
09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
There is a plate held on the frame by 4, 3/8" bolts and 3 larger bolts that run into the gear box. Go to Harbor frieght and get a pitman arm puller about $10. pop the pitman arm first. Everything else is easy except pulling the box back up through the floor boards. Carpet, coller, shift rods a lot of small things, but everytime I take anything apart all the small stuff gets painted, plated or cleaned. It just buggs me to put anything back that is not like new. If you need any pics. just ask.

Ron Dame
09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
OK, so it comes out from inside the cab! I guess that will work. Needless to say, my garage must be a wreck, because I can't find my shop manual. Doesn't sound like too bad a job though.

But first, I gotta get the furniture back out of the garage...we are refinishing our oak floors, and everything is in there right now.

Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by Alan

There is a plate held on the frame by 4, 3/8" bolts and 3 larger bolts that run into the gear box. Go to Harbor frieght and get a pitman arm puller about $10. pop the pitman arm first. Everything else is easy except pulling the box back up through the floor boards. Carpet, coller, shift rods a lot of small things, but everytime I take anything apart all the small stuff gets painted, plated or cleaned. It just buggs me to put anything back that is not like new. If you need any pics. just ask.

Ron Dame
'63 Champ