Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gordon Bricken, long-time and frequent President of Orange Empire Chapter, Santa Ana, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Bricken, long-time and frequent President of Orange Empire Chapter, Santa Ana, CA

Gordon Bricken passed away on June 17, 2013 after a long and courageous battle with colon cancer. In addition to being the "Captain" of the Queen Mary (Director of the 1996 Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet in Long Beach, California), he was the frequent and repeat President of the Orange Empire Chapter of the Orange Empire Chapter dating back to before I first met him in 1983 and probably almost back to the founding of the Chapter in the late 60's or early 70's. This year's La Palma Meet the Sunday before Memorial Day was the first one I have known him to miss, but his wife since 1963, Maureen and his four daughters brought at least four of his cars, including his most recent and prized acquisition, a beautiful 1958 President Starliner in tan and brown which was close to a 390 point car, along with the others. He and Maureen and his daughter Patricia "Trish" probably never missed a chapter meeting and worked tirelessly on the many activities and the La Palma Meets, "The Largest Gathering of Studebakers in the West", for as long as he was a member and until he was unable to do so because of illness. I saw him at several International Meets, the last being the Ozark Trails Chapter's meet in Springfield, Missouri, and am sure he attended many more of them. He presided over the last chapter meet I attended in January, and probably several more. He loaned me his car trailer to retrieve a car from San Diego, and probably loaned it to many more of his many friends. In addition to his Studebaker activities, Gordon served many years as Mayor of Santa Ana and was instrumental in the development of the Main Place Mall, the design and building of the Santa Ana Train Station, and many other things. A native of Kentucky and graduate of Loyola University (B.S.) and U.C.L.A. (M.S.), he was a respected acoustical engineer. He married Maureen in 1963 in Santa Ana and lived long enough for them to celebrate their 50th anniversary. He will be missed by all of his many friends and family, including those with and without Studebakers.
    Last edited by jnfweber; 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM.
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
    Gordon Bricken passed away on June 17, 2013 after a long and courageous battle with colon cancer. In addition to being the "Captain" of the Queen Mary (Director of the 1979 Studebaker Drivers Club International Meet in Long Beach, California), he was the frequent and repeat President of the Orange Empire Chapter of the Orange Empire Chapter dating back to before I first met him in 1983 and probably almost back to the founding of the Chapter in the late 60's or early 70's. This year's La Palma Meet the Sunday before Memorial Day was the first one I have known him to miss, but his wife since 1963, Maureen and his four daughters brought at least four of his cars, including his most recent and prized acquisition, a beautiful 1958 President Starliner in tan and brown which was close to a 390 point car, along with the others. He and Maureen and his daughter Patricia "Trish" probably never missed a chapter meeting and worked tirelessly on the many activities and the La Palma Meets, "The Largest Gathering of Studebakers in the West", for as long as he was a member and until he was unable to do so because of illness. I saw him at several International Meets, the last being the Ozark Trails Chapter's meet in Springfield, Missouri, and am sure he attended many more of them. He presided over the last chapter meet I attended in January, and probably several more. He loaned me his car trailer to retrieve a car from San Diego, and probably loaned it to many more of his many friends. In addition to his Studebaker activities, Gordon served many years as Mayor of Santa Ana and was instrumental in the development of the Main Place Mall, the design and building of the Santa Ana Train Station, and many other things. A native of Kentucky and graduate of Loyola University (B.S.) and U.C.L.A. (M.S.), he was a respected acoustical engineer. He married Maureen in 1963 in Santa Ana and lived long enough for them to celebrate their 50th anniversary. He will be missed by all of his many friends and family, including those with and without Studebakers.
    Having known Gord for over 30 years I can honestly attest to his gentlemanly demeanor in everything in which we was involved for SDC. Rest in peace Gord. You will be missed by all who knew you.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
    X