Wheel cylinders for a 48 M-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel cylinders for a 48 M-5

I am trying to rebuild the brakes on my 48 M-5. I found the wheel kits at SI but mine are so rusted that the cups and rubber won't even move in mine. Anybody know of any wheel cylinders to fit the truck. I at least need the fronts. Thanks Tom

The New Wheel Cylinders are only available for 1949 "R" Trucks forward, to most others up to 1964.

Unless some very old stock stashed away in a deceased person's closet is discovered, you will be limited to sleeving the old ones unless you update the entire Brake System.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Didn't I read sometime back on Truck Talk that F..d wheel cyls. from Speedway Motors will fit a M5????
      Or was I dreamin?
      Jim
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

This could be your golden opportunity to swap to late model V-8 or late model Champ front brakes.
        The Champs should be a bolt on from the backing plates out. The V-8's require that you bolt up the 4 holes that match your spindles, and re-drill the other 2 holes. Either way it greatly improves the braking.

Comment

You should be able to adapt a grease fitting to the cylinder and push at least one piston out with a grease gun.
          1936 Dictator
          1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
          1953 Commander Regal HT
          1953 2R5 Pickup
          1947 M16 Truck
          1960 Lark VIII Convertible
          1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
          1962 Champ 7E5 no box
          1962 GT Hawk
          1963 Lark VI 4 dr
          1963 GT Hawk R2
          1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Working...
          X