352 in a 53/54(anyone done it?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 352 in a 53/54(anyone done it?)

I know of a possible lead on a rusty GH that a scrapper friend sold a while back, he says he thinks it's still with a relative who took over the land, and is overwelmed by all the cars. I plan to go out on a the car hunt this weekend to see if the place really exists. there is also supossedly a couple other studes out there. I was talking to my brother about and was saying how if the motor was still in the GH and had it's supercharger that it would be good for the 53. And how even if the motor was bad the SC setup might be savable yet. This car still ran when the scrappper friend sold it many years ago, but he said he had no clue whether or not it had a SC. While taLking to my brother I mentioned that it could maybe be a 56j, which would have no SC and a packard motor. He asked if I might still try and get that engine for the 53. Which made me think. While I would probably not attempt this it made me wonder if if anyone else has done this? I mean made a hot rod early C/K with a packard engine. Anyone know of one? It would be a neat way to go.

If they went in a '56, the engine should bolt in.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The engine/ trans will fit onto the frame of the '53-'54 by using the '56 Golden Hawk front frame-to-engine mounts, and also using the '56 Golden Hawk 'batwing' crossmember. At that point though, You will run into big problems as the radiator will not be far enough 'forward' in it's stock position to clear this 4" longer engine. Also, the radiator would be way under capacity. There would also be a major problem to get the hood to close without adding an aftermarket 'scoop'. (The hood barely clears the smaller original Studebaker V8 as it is. Anything can be done.....but without using later ('56-up) Hawk front sheetmetal....this swap would definitely be a challenge!
      If You find that this parts car is a '57 Golden Hawk, that 289 Studebaker engine, with McCulloch Supercharger, CAN be swapped into a '53-'54 C/K without major issues. Good Hunting!!!!

Comment

If anyone should attempt a swap like this, (Packard V8 into Stude C/K), Be sure to take a hard look at the Olds oil pump conversion before the engine goes in. I've never tried the conversion Myself, but the idea seems sound, and should clear up what is the major weak point in those engine.

Comment

Ask the man who owns one. Once you've gone Packard power, you'll never go back.

Mechanically, it's really no more difficult than say changing from a Champion 6-cyl to a Studebaker V8. All the running gear has to be upgraded anyway.

The one-year-only '56J-specific parts are obviously less common, but a couple of forum members have thrown away those parts and replaced them with BrandX, so ask around and maybe they'll make you a deal.

Should you decide to do it right, I've got all the Packard performance and oiling system parts. Interestingly, even though Packard V8s are less common than Studebaker V8s, custom parts is custom parts and professional machine work doesn't care, so building in the extra 50-100 horsepower is pretty much free.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I've been thinking about this thread a bit today, and wondered.....I know that over the years many, many 1956 Golden Hawks have had their Packard powertrains pulled out with various other engines installed in it's place....but how many times have You actually heard that someone pulled out a Stude (or a 'Brand X) engine, and replaced it with that big old Packard V8? That HAS to be a rarity!

Comment

I saw a Lark at Jim Whites old place in Inmann Kansas many years ago. It had such a high lift cam, and was modified with Studebaker rocker arms on the shafts. The valve covers were notched and angle iron was welded over to clear the rockers.
              I always wanted to install a 374 and supercharge it on our last Packard Hawk we had. never did though.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

but how many times have You actually heard that someone pulled out a Stude (or a 'Brand X) engine, and replaced it with that big old Packard V8? That HAS to be a rarity!
                FWIW, I've provided parts to help build Packard V8s for a Bonneville Vega, a '32 Ford roadster and a '49 Ford pickup rat rod. My '55 E12 pickup and '56 Power Hawk both have Packard V8s. Maybe the Avanti will get one also. ;>)

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

I'am sure I'am going to get a lot of heat for this but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY. If you want some real power why not go late model motor and trans or even a strocker big block chev or dodge. Not anymore work than the big packard and alot better deal when done. A 500-600 HP streetable package should be easily done.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    I'am sure I'am going to get a lot of heat for this but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY. If you want some real power why not go late model motor and trans or even a strocker big block chev or dodge. Not anymore work than the big packard and alot better deal when done. A 500-600 HP streetable package should be easily done.
                    If you have to ask.....you wouldn't understand. The sheer size of the Packard is impressive. Anyone can put something common in a Stude...Why be common?
                    Practicality has nothing to do with it. Why has someone put a Hemi in a Metropolitan? Certainly not to make it more driveable. Stand out from the crowd, if it pisses off the crowd, find a better crowd!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY.
                      Well, it was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation for a few years.

I've built several high horsepower BrandX engines and these days it's pretty much a wasted effort. Traffic is too thick to have room to go fast, the cell phone Nazis will report anyone passing them as an "aggressive driver" and gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Packard V8s are not for everyone, but some of us just like them. End of story.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Well, it was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation for a few years.

I've built several high horsepower BrandX engines and these days it's pretty much a wasted effort. Traffic is too thick to have room to go fast, the cell phone Nazis will report anyone passing them as an "aggressive driver" and gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Packard V8s are not for everyone, but some of us just like them. End of story.

jack vines
                        Packard V8s are like Harley shovels & pans, they have tons of personality & class. Also, there really ain't no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to road power. Have driven Packard powered 56Js many miles and many years, and there simply ain't nothing like Packard power.
                        As for reliability, with a few mods, they are as good as any V8 of the 50s-60s. My blue & white 56J has around 231,000 miles on it, and still has the original motor. Someone rebuilt it in the 1970s and installed .030" oversized, OEM (Bonaham) pistons. They are still in the car, and still doing great, with about 90,000+ miles since I last went through it.
                        I like 352s so well, I seriously considered installing one in the 62GT when its motor needed rebuilt a little over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          Packard V8s are like Harley shovels & pans, they have tons of personality & class. Also, there really ain't no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to road power. Have driven Packard powered 56Js many miles and many years, and there simply ain't nothing like Packard power.
                          As for reliability, with a few mods, they are as good as any V8 of the 50s-60s. My blue & white 56J has around 231,000 miles on it, and still has the original motor. Someone rebuilt it in the 1970s and installed .030" oversized, OEM (Bonaham) pistons. They are still in the car, and still doing great, with about 90,000+ miles since I last went through it.
                          I like 352s so well, I seriously considered installing one in the 62GT when its motor needed rebuilt a little over a year ago.

Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!! I spent a few years with an ex Packard dealer and our transmission tech only had occasional trouble with Ultramatics.. He never had comebacks with anything else.. You never smelled anything worse that a burnt Ultramatic..

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                            Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!! I spent a few years with an ex Packard dealer and our transmission tech only had occasional trouble with Ultramatics.. He never had comebacks with anything else.. You never smelled anything worse that a burnt Ultramatic..
                            I personally don't care for the UltraMatics, but they are OK. I rebuilt one in a 56J i restored in the late 1980s. My older bro and I then put around 20,000 miles on it, before I sold it to a guy in the Northeast, whom I have kept in touch with over the years. Last time I talked to them a couple of years ago, his wife told me he still drives the car, but only on perfect weather days. He is now in his mid 80s I guess.
                            Of the other four driver 56Js I have owned, three had T85s, and one I converted to a TH400. As mentioned, I don't personally care for the Ultra, but they are OK.

Comment

Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!!
                              Of course we can. The Borg-Warner T85 is bulletproof.

Oh, there were a few with Twin-Ultramatic automatics which were somewhat problematic.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X