LARES CORP - Cambridge, MN - power steering pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: LARES CORP - Cambridge, MN - power steering pumps

Has anyboby dealt with LARES Corp for steering parts? They advertise in Hemmings Classic Car Magazine.
    Peter Bishop

Interesting you should mention them. I just ordered some parts from Advance Auto and Lares manfactured one of them. Not a pump but that would suggest that they are a mainstream company with enough size to supply major outlets. I'd never heard of them before but I wouldn't be afraid to try them. If they don't offer a warranty directly buying through a major parts house should get you one.

In fact, Advance is running a promotion with 20% off the first $50 and a certificate for $25 off the next $50, so try your part # through them and see if you can save a few shekels.

Bob

Comment

I stock many Studebaker steering parts.
      Just give me part numbers.
      Bo Markham rebuilds studebaker steering gear boxes.
      Search this forum for contact info on him'
      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I sent them my steering box from my custom. They sent it back with new guts. I asked them what it was off of (because I didn't know) they said they weren't sure either. (Which seems odd, then how did they find the parts??) They said they just had a guy find a similar looking unit on their shelves. Aside from that, good service, fair price.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

LARES is one of the best. We have used them for the finiky power steering pumps the Lincoln/Mer/Edsel used with the crankshaft that runs thru the middle of the pump and the harm. balancer sits in front. Lares rebuilt them all perfectly first time every time for $200. The Lincoln suppliers want $600 for the same rebuild. I later found out the Lincoln suppliers sent theirs to Lares. Lares has rebuilt several gear boxes of various Lincolns and Thunderbirds for me. Again perfection. I rate them highly.
          Last edited by poweroptions; 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM.
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

What's a p/s gear box? Are you talking about the pump? Or are you talking about the valve assembly? I've never heard that power steering requires a different gear box than standard steering.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Either or, steering gear box or power steering pump including donut power steering pumps for Lincolns. LARES has been excellent. We have used LARES now for 30 years. OK, hope that clarifies it.
              1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Lares rebuilt my Power steering box for my 55' speedster in 97. Still working good. If they can do a 55' power steering -sort of a more odd, rare style- then they can handle do most anything.
                -E
                Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Sunny Northern California
                Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

I had them rebuild a power steering valve on a 77 corvette for me years ago and it worked great. They will be doing the stuff on my 64 hawk when I get to that point as they are less than 20 miles from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    What's a p/s gear box? Are you talking about the pump? Or are you talking about the valve assembly? I've never heard that power steering requires a different gear box than standard steering.
                    You are correct beginning with the 1958 models. 1953-'57 (and a very few '58s) used a GM Saginaw power steering gearbox. Same unit as was used by most GM cars of that era.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                    X