Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just inherited my grandfathers 62' Lark Daytona convertible :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just inherited my grandfathers 62' Lark Daytona convertible :)

Like the title says, I just inherited my grandfather's 62' Lark Daytona convertible. It's red (although I think the original color was white) with red and white interior. My grandfather was a successful business man and collected Studebakers in his spare time. (I'm sure some of you old timers probably know him; "Buck" from Kansas?) Anyway...I remember when I was a little kid, he had about a dozen studes. This one was his baby though, he bought it in 1978 - had it restored and it's won every car show it's been in since even a national Studebaker show. I have a 1969 GTO and a 73' Firebird Formula 455 also and I swear people show the Stude more love than my muscle cars. I know they haven't found either of the 2 pace cars from 62' and you guys would know more about it than I ever will. So here's the VIN # 62VI0450. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't one of the cars, she'll never be for sale...

Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear from new members who appreciate Studebakers!

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather. He might have guessed that orphan car would bring plenty of love your way. Welcome to the forum. You won't find a more helpful group of people anywhere. Many happy miles...
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Congrats on the 62 Lark Convertible. I just got one myself. I found it locally and transplanted a V8 4 speed in place of the original 6 cyl 3 speed. Its going to the muffler shop tomorrow to get brand new dual exhaust. I can't wait. I can finally drive it again.
        BTW, lets see some pix, eh?
        sals54

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Cody! We would be proud to have you as a new Member. You can join our International Organization at the top of these pages for a first time discount to receive the wonderful "Turning Wheels" Monthly SDC Publication and join in the Fun!

You have a really Great body style of the Lark family, a loads of Fun Car, enjoy!

StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Let me add my welcome also. My love of Studebaker's started in Woodbridge, New Jersey. Do you know who your grandfather bought it from or it's history? The Studebaker National Museum has available the production orders for a fee. I have always liked the styling of the 62 Lark, especially the rear end treatment. How is your equipped, engine, trans, ect? As has been said we devour pictures! The more the merrier and please, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Lots of us here to help.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I think Bob Palma may have a grasp of the Indy cars Vin numbers. He may chime in when he gets back from the International Meet.
              Welcome to the SDC Forum and you will like it here. Lots of help available with no hidden angles. Joining the SDC would be very beneficial to you in many ways.
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Igmor, Sorry about the loss of your grandfather. You did inherit a great car. There are many other Studebaker owners in NJ, including myself and also a person that sells parts. Let me know what area you are from and maybe we can meet and talk Studebakers at a local car show.

By the way, you are right that Stude will get more attention than the more popular muscle cars of the same period.

Todd

Comment

Welcome Igmor! You have inherited a great car, had a 62 Lark Daytona convertible back in the early to mid 1970's.
                  Was a member of the SDC and our Delaware Valley Chapter back then. Then came marriage, children, and a big mortgage.
                  So went my fun Lark... Fast forward to a few years ago, while visiting Gettysburg (Maryann & I are Civil War buffs) we came across all those beautiful Studebakers at the National Meet. The Studebaker Bug bit again! We rejoined right there at the meet! Now we own a 1957 Packard Clipper wagon and a 1965 Wagonaire. now the mortgage is paid, kids grown, college paid, and hair gone! We have a great resource here and do join the SDC, best publication in the hobby!
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I can't figure out how to upload pictures, lol. It's red with a white top, red and white interior. 289 3 speed on the column with electric overdrive. Idk where he got it or exactly when. I was born in 1979 and it was around then. I got it back to Jersey 2 weeks ago and the throw out barring when on it the first time I drove it. I fixed it last night and while working on it. I found another number plate one the firewall - "62 vb0359" but there's a chrome one on the drivers side door frame that says "62 V0450" ? Does anyone know anything about this? Also...how do you upload pix? I'll be on later...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05927.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1682522 My 1962 Studebaker Lark Daytona Convertible

Comment

Name:	DSC05892.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1682523289 V8 3 speed on the column with electric overdrive. My grand father collected Studebakers, this one was his baby tho...

Comment

Name:	DSC06176.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1682524I took this picture last night, the new and old throw out barring.

Comment

Name:	DSC06181.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1682525This picture was taken around 2:00 this morning as we were finishing up. We started around 5:00 p.m. and banged out the job (with a break for pizza and beer). This was the first time for both of us working on a Studebaker. Easy peasy! Drives great now...

Comment

The tag under the hood, held on by a couple of screws, is the body number plate. It tells you what year, engine, model, and body number. Post a pic and someone can break it all down for you.

The plate on the hinge post on the driver's side is the ID number for the car - you will note that it is welded to the car. They are either 62S (six cylinder) or 62V (eight cylinder).

By the looks of your car, you have a Regal convertible instead of a Daytona. I do not have my Studebaker Driver's Club magazine (Turning Wheels) for the 1962 models (believe it was 1993) but it is very likely there were fewer Regal convertibles built than Daytona models...looks great no matter what model...

I have a soft spot of '62s because my first Studebaker was a '62 Regal four door I bought with college graduation money in 1993...

Best of luck and how close are you to the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania?

Comment

Working...
                              X