Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Volt wiper motor with a 6 volt system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 12 Volt wiper motor with a 6 volt system?

Hi Guys,

Working on our 50 Champ Coupe and want an electric wiper motor. The ones available are 12 volt but I would like to keep the 6 volt system I have....can this be done??

Thanks,
    John Brayton

There were lots of 6 volt ones, from 51-55. Why not find one of those?

You could try a 12 volt one, but it will move slowly.

The problem is that the mechanical coupling changed between 50 and 51, so none of the electric motors are a straight bolt in. Have you looked at other brands/marques?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The bolt on 12V units that are made in Washington Mo and sold by a bunch of vendors replace the vacuum motor. I have asked them why they do not have a 6v version and they basically indicated they did not think there was enough demand. The only problem with these is you are still using the cable style system to drive the wipers.

If you find a electric wiper out of a 51 or 52, you can also take the arms off it and they will bolt in the car. The only problem will be the radio. The standard 50 radio does not allow room for the wiper arms. In 51 they redesigned the back top of the radio so it would work with electric wipers. If you have a radio, you can get one from a 51 or 52 also and use it with the electric wipers. This is a little harder to install then the bolt in replacement style but long term I think you would be happier.

I just bought a wiper motor and arms out of a 52 to put in one of my 50's. As a side note. the 51-52 style wipers will fit in any 47-52 body. The arm system is much better than the cable style.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
      X