Wiper speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiper speed

My 64 Daytona has a three position switch for the wipers.....Off......Low......High. I see almost no difference in wiper speed between low and high. Is this normal or do I need to replace the wiper motor?

PS: "Off" seem to work just fine!
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

High should be full amperage, the other settings should be stepped down with resistance at the switch. Have you had it out or replaced? Wired the same? Mine was like that but it was a 'mechanical" problem. My good old boy used a long antennae cable for my radio and instead of shortening it, he coiled it up and stuffed it under the dash. My wiper transmission was dragging my antennae cable. Doh!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The resistor was removed in 62 for speed change. In 63 there are four wires, Red-High, Yellow-Low, Blue and Black are to park the wiper. They change the voltage on the winding's to change the speed..

If you see no difference the winding's could be fused together.

Pull the connector apart at the cowl and apply voltage to the yellow and then the red. if you see no difference, then the wiper motor has issues.

Since you have the switch apart, check voltage at the red and yellow pins when switch is in high and low.

Don't apply voltage to the blue and black as depending on the position you could go to ground!

Comment

Sebastian; this is a very good explanation of the later ('63-66) 4 Wire, Wiper Motor operation, thank you!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '63 Hawk also has two speeds - slow and slower.
          Paul TK

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
            My '63 Hawk also has two speeds - slow and slower.
            Paul TK
            Bad Wiper Motor, or mis-wired Switch.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If there is no resistor in the circuit, then the speed is changed by switching in or out different windings, not by changing voltage.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X