converting to pcv system on 58 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: converting to pcv system on 58 Hawk

I have the pcv fitting to replace the draft tube. The only intake vacuum port I see is the one where PB booster and dash vacuum gauge line goes. Can I just put a T fitting on top and run the pcv and vacuum gauge
    from that point? Is there a modern check valve sold at Napa or ? that will work in the line from block to T fitting?
    Thanks !
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

The PCV valve has to see full vacuum. If you have a 4 barrel carb ,there is a 1/4 pipe plug in the rear of the carburetor that can be used for the PCV. If you have a 2 barrel carb, you will have to make a spacer plate with the appropriate holes to use the PCV or you can use a later carb from a 62 through 64 cars as they have the correct fitting in the rear of the carburetor. You didn't specify whether you have a 6 or V8 engine. With a 6 you will have to make the appropriate spacer there also. I don't recommend using a T fitting in line with the brake booster line as it could possibly cause braking problems. Bud

Comment

Adding a PCV to an older carburetor will play heck with your idle. They aren't jetted for the approx. 2" vacuum leak generated by the PVC. With a bit of patience it can be overcome by adjustment and distributor tuning.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
        I have the pcv fitting to replace the draft tube. The only intake vacuum port I see is the one where PB booster and dash vacuum gauge line goes. Can I just put a T fitting on top and run the pcv and vacuum gauge
        from that point? Is there a modern check valve sold at Napa or ? that will work in the line from block to T fitting?
        Thanks !
        If its the stock 1958 carb, adding a PCV will cause it to run like crap. Its not really worth the effort. Nothing wrong with the draft tube except, under certain conditions, i.e. idling in traffic with the wind just right, the fumes get into the crew compartment.
        If its a later carb, with a PCV provision, that's a different story.

Comment

There are some carb spacers available that have vacuum tubes for running a PCV hose to them. I have had to make one for a 59 170 as there is no provision anywhere on the carb or manifold to do it.

Not saying this is the one you are looking for but just an example.

And another.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Adding a PCV to an older carburetor will play heck with your idle. They aren't jetted for the approx. 2" vacuum leak generated by the PVC. With a bit of patience it can be overcome by adjustment and distributor tuning.

jack vines
            OK, scratch that! This is the stock 2br carb setup with SC. I will use the fittings to add PCV to a 58 SW that had a new Eldebrock 4br installed.
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
            X