Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a 62 or maybe a 61 or maybe a one of a kind????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a 62 or maybe a 61 or maybe a one of a kind????

I would want to check the ID tag on this one closely I think

Hope it makes you smile like it did me.

Maybe the story is something like Studebaker built this 62 early and happened to use a body from a 61???

Very probable the seller does not even know the body is not 62 but the tail lights might be a giveaway
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Looks like a '61 to me. I don't see any unique-to-'62 items on that car at all.

Craig

Comment

I would agree.
      Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

All 61

For those wondering about seats with integrated seat belts this owner did it. They looked Chrysler at first. Im not so sure Mercedes?

Left it Stude powered!

Wasnt someone keeping a 61 hardtop registry? Or maybe I'm recalling a TW article commenting on not seeing many hardtop 61's in print.
        Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 06-25-2013, 05:29 AM.
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

That thing is sweet! Not sure what the seats are, but I don't think they are Chrysler unless they were cut way down. Very nicely done.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I obviously liked the looks of it or I would not have opened the Ebay ad and saw it was really a 61.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

That thing is sharp!
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I'm really digging those seats. I hope someone verifies their origin.

I'll be honest, 1961 is my least favorite year of the entire Lark and Lark-type series, but I'd drive this. I think it helped that they took off the "arched eyebrow" side trim. I never cared for the look of the side trim in '61.

Sharp car.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Actually it makes me sick/uncomfortable looking at that molested vehicle. PT Cruiser seats.
                  Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...7fe8b2&vxp=mtr

I would want to check the ID tag on this one closely I think

Hope it makes you smile like it did me.

Maybe the story is something like Studebaker built this 62 early and happened to use a body from a 61???

Very probable the seller does not even know the body is not 62 but the tail lights might be a giveaway
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Well, for one thing, it started out as a '61 Hardtop. From there, it's anybody's guess. Nice job though.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
                      I see lots of unique to 61 items, such as tail lights, nose, hood and the blacked out chrome on the rear of the roof... Nose you can change, but requires hood change as well, but the tail light would require rear valence/quarter, trunk and trunk pan change.

Interesting if VIN began with 62 and not 61!
                      Last edited by SScopelli; 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

My vote is also for '61. I can't tell if it's '61 onward, because they removed the arched headlight brows, so those front fascias all look alike when the trim and trim holes are removed. But, the '62's had a different tail light and backup light arrangement than the '63's, because the '62's had those separate, chromed, oval, bezeled backup light pods on the rear, and round taillights. In '63, they went to the round tail lights again, but they went with those plastic, more integrated spear shaped backup lights, instead of what the '62's had. This vehicle has none of those, so it's got to be '61 or earlier, if they didn't change anything in the rear.
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Well so far all of you that were not sure, have missed the BIGGEST clue! The Body!
                          That backlight glass is peculiar to 1961 and would be the only thing you certainly could not or would not change easily, the main Body. So there is no doubt it's a '61.

Wrong windshield for a '63.

I think they should have followed the body line on the Hood, like they did with the Decklid.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

TEHO, Jim. I love it! One of my all-time favorite Lark customs. All I would change is add bumpers and re-shine the grill and headlamp doors.

My guess on the seats is maybe Chevy Trailblazer. If they're foreign I couldn't guess.

Of course, the seller wants at least double what it's legitimately worth. Probably got that into it.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bobbo, to me,it's a clown car. I don't see anything uniquely tastefull. Should have left it chromed and monocolor but it's his so as the saying goes.
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X